With Scott directing, is there any chance this might become Alien 5?

Started by RumorControl, Aug 01, 2009, 04:46:41 AM

Author
With Scott directing, is there any chance this might become Alien 5? (Read 3,360 times)

RumorControl

He always seemed interested in doing a fifth and final film with Weaver.  I don't ever recall him saying anything about a prequel; prequels are, in my opinion, completely pointless cash-ins that serve no real dramatic purpose.  Now that's producing and directing, can't he just ditch the prequel crap and make a proper sequel?

Ratchetcomand

The Alien prequel is Alien 5.

Pvt. Hicks

I wish but, he's only directing this because the story, a prequel, intrigued him.

Ratchetcomand

It not hard to understand that the prequel is Alien 5. Indy 2 was a prequel to the first movie, and this will be the same.

Mr. Domino

Alien is a story that began in the middle somewhat. So just like Star Wars, there is a story there that deserves to be told.

Now I felt that Star Wars took the wrong approach, specifically telling the story of characters from the original films, because we already knew what was going to end up happening to them.

I think Ridley will be smarter than that, though, and take the tack of new characters and whatnot, explaining how and why the events in the original trilogy came to pass, because there's still tons of unexplored ground there. Some questions are better left unanswered, but that doesn't mean I'm not dying to know the answers lol.

Don Dorris

To be fair the news on this keeps on improving gradually, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they've changed their minds and decided to make a proper sequel.

Not saying it will happen - just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

We first heard the horrifying news that they were remaking alien. Then that changed and we heard it was a prequel and there was a sigh of relief. Then we heard that Carl Rinsch (sp?) was directing, who seemed like an interesting choice. Then that changed and we found out Ridley was directing.

So it wouldn't surprise me if something changes again.

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Aug 02, 2009, 02:09:59 AM
Alien is a story that began in the middle somewhat.
No it didn't. Jockey ship found its way to LV-426. A long-ass time later, WY probe detects the signal, WY puts Ash on the Nostromo and reroutes the Nostromo to intercept the transmission to investigate. The end.

Mr. Domino

Granted, and I'm fine with that. Its not a story that has to be told, but frankly, I'd much rather see it than the continuing adventures of the asshole and the paraplegic, joined occasionally by Ripley's 60-something year old part-alien clone and her lesbian partner, the whiny, malfunctioning android.

I'm sorry, but the thought of Alien 5 just doesn't particularly appeal to me right now. The way our lucks been going the last few movies, Fox would hire somebody to adapt Original Sin.

RoaryUK

Quote from: RumorControl on Aug 01, 2009, 04:46:41 AM
He always seemed interested in doing a fifth and final film with Weaver.  I don't ever recall him saying anything about a prequel; prequels are, in my opinion, completely pointless cash-ins that serve no real dramatic purpose.  Now that's producing and directing, can't he just ditch the prequel crap and make a proper sequel?

It could be argued that ANY kind of additional film iis a cash-in.  For me prequels usually come down to an excuse for being "out of ideas" when something is in demand rather than just greed, but that doesnt make it any less useful IF the materiel is there and the brains to work it.  You only have to look at the AvP franchise to see how greed can take over.... cheap budgets tied with talentless directors FOX seemingly chose for no good reason.  Even though they werent always great, NON of the Alien movies were badly directed, they all had more good to offer than bad, and most people generally agree most of the previous mistakes lie with FOX at the writing stage anyway.  They may have had less experienced directors like Fincher, but his creativity was unquestioned and the money was there. so he was able to make something great....sadly non of these things were so apparent for AvP or AvP-R.

RoaryUK

Quote from: SiL on Aug 02, 2009, 11:37:06 AM
Quote from: Mr. Domino on Aug 02, 2009, 02:09:59 AM
Alien is a story that began in the middle somewhat.
No it didn't. Jockey ship found its way to LV-426. A long-ass time later, WY probe detects the signal, WY puts Ash on the Nostromo and reroutes the Nostromo to intercept the transmission to investigate. The end.

I think he means in theory.... which will basically be true now the prequel has been greenlit.  Im not going into it coz Ive done loads of ideas of what this prequel could be about, but I do hope that its just a one-off.  Knowing FOX's track record, I wouldnt be suprised if they used Alien to start making prequels of prequels just to be different LOL

RumorControl

By Alien 5, I obviously mean a sequel to Alien Resurrection, not just a fifth Alien film in a general sense.

If this prequel tells or shows us what happened on the derelict ship, then the whole derelict sequence in Alien will be ruined.  Those scenes work because of the mystery; you don't know what happened, you can only use your imagination and guess.  Explaining what happened will destroy that and it'll turn into just another sequence.  Nothing that the film shows us would be as interesting as what your own imagination can come up with.  That's the beauty of the first film.

J-Syxx

Quote from: RumorControl on Aug 06, 2009, 02:12:48 AM
By Alien 5, I obviously mean a sequel to Alien Resurrection, not just a fifth Alien film in a general sense.

If this prequel tells or shows us what happened on the derelict ship, then the whole derelict sequence in Alien will be ruined.  Those scenes work because of the mystery; you don't know what happened, you can only use your imagination and guess.  Explaining what happened will destroy that and it'll turn into just another sequence.  Nothing that the film shows us would be as interesting as what your own imagination can come up with.  That's the beauty of the first film.

Well a few things:

1.  Ridley Scott isn't some dofus like that hack Bob Zombie.  I think he's aware of that element of the first film since he helped design and presented it that way.  I think he will do the film in a way that perserves the mystery of the first film and raises more questions.

2.  Even if some things were answered it won't ruin the first film.  I mean the endings to the first and second film still have the same impact of the mystery of Ripley floating off into space in hyperspace all these years later.  The original film will always stand on its own, and you can always watch it as its own experience secluded from the rest of the franchise.

QuoteGranted, and I'm fine with that. Its not a story that has to be told, but frankly, I'd much rather see it than the continuing adventures of the asshole and the paraplegic, joined occasionally by Ripley's 60-something year old part-alien clone and her lesbian partner, the whiny, malfunctioning android.

I'm sorry, but the thought of Alien 5 just doesn't particularly appeal to me right now. The way our lucks been going the last few movies, Fox would hire somebody to adapt Original Sin.

The lesbian partner part sounds appealing to me at least. xD

Mr. Slugworth

Quote from: RumorControl on Aug 06, 2009, 02:12:48 AM
If this prequel tells or shows us what happened on the derelict ship, then the whole derelict sequence in Alien will be ruined.  Those scenes work because of the mystery; you don't know what happened, you can only use your imagination and guess.  Explaining what happened will destroy that and it'll turn into just another sequence.  Nothing that the film shows us would be as interesting as what your own imagination can come up with.  That's the beauty of the first film.

I agree with you to a point... it was left to our imaginations because we thought we'd never know the answer. Mystery is definitely intriguing. But I've gone my whole life wondering about this everytime I put on the movie. Now we have a chance to finally find out how and why those events took place (if this film really does tackle the Space Jockey element)... and I've used my imagination on this for too long, I've even demystified it for myself! Theres no better person to tell the story than Ridley Scott. Lets just hope the script is as well written as Dan O Bannen's... and Giger is involved somewhat ;)

I say bring on the Space Jockey.

Spidey3121

I would rather an Alien film that takes place between the events of Alien 3 + Alien Resurrection. There is plenty of time for the Company to hypothetically come across the species yet again + perhaps it could give us some insight as to way the Company folded. Of course they clearly won't go this route...

I hope they leave the original alone though b/c nothing from the original needs any more explaining. So maybe we don't know how the Derelict ship got there - well i don't want to know, nor do i want to know how the company new what they would find there really. Some things are better left a mystery.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed