Fox's Tom Rothman Dishes on an Alien Prequel !!!

Started by Darkoo, Apr 28, 2009, 09:35:09 AM

Author
Fox's Tom Rothman Dishes on an Alien Prequel !!! (Read 16,149 times)

Vulhala

I may be wrong, but to my mind I don't think that Scott has ever done a sequel or prequel to any of his movies has he?

Not saying that that would rule him out necessarily, but maybe he has something against doing them? Maybe he likes to just do the movie, and then just move on to the next one and forget about it?  ???

Undeadite

Well he has made sequels to other people's movies. Hannibal sticks out in my mind, and there might be others. This could mean he is only interested if there is a solid story involved, which is a good sign for us.

El Diablo

There's been a lot of talk regarding Fox trying to reboot several of their now dying franchises, so I'm not too surprised to be hearing something like this. I've heard that they plan to restart several of their Marvel properties as well, including Daredevil and Fantastic Four, so I'm thinking that maybe the studio is finally making an attempt to limit their control over the films they put into production. Fox has become notorious for their troubled productions since Tom Rothman took over as Co-Chariman and CEO for Bill Mechanic, so the news that Robert Rodriguez is entirely in charge of the PREDATOR franchise gives me some hope that maybe the studio is trying to shake off the bad vibes from their previous soured relationships with established filmmakers.

Or not. One can only hope.

Undeadite

Thats right, I forgot about the marvel reboots in the works. You think those are influenced more by a change of management, or due to popular consumption after The Dark Knight?

El Diablo

El Diablo

I'm sure the success of The Dark Knight may have had some influence on Fox taking charge of their comic book properties. It's not like Warner Bros. developed some successful formula for making blockbusters, they simply managed to find a filmmaker who had the talent to deliver something special and they had enough confidence in him to allow total control of that franchise. I hope Fox can follow that game plan and have enough confidence in the people they hire to take similar risks (not penny pinch when it comes to budgets and running time).

I would absolutely love to see them give Ridley Scott free reign on this project if it does come to fruition. They need to get behind their directors and Ridley is a guy that has already proven his worth, he deserves nothing less than blind faith at this point.

[Alpha]Frost

If Tom Rothman is involved, I doubt it'll be good.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=303032 = his crimes :P

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: [Alpha]Frost on May 02, 2009, 09:28:07 PM
If Tom Rothman is involved, I doubt it'll be good.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=303032 = his crimes :P

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:( :( >:( i wasn't aware of half the sh!t Rothman is responseable for! the guys a total twonk! (being polite there)

RumorControl

Rothman is an asshole but I don't think he's directly responsible for some of that stuff.  The theatrical version of Kingdom of Heaven, for example, was Scott's own idea, not Rothman's.  Scott felt that the film was too long so he himself edited it down.  He later regretted doing this.

Anyway, I'm against the idea of an Alien prequel.  For one, there's no point.  This isn't like X-Men or Batman where we can explore the pasts of the characters.  Ripley doesn't really have a story until she fights the Alien in the first film, and revealing the origin of the Alien itself would spoil the mystery.

No, it's Alien 5 or bust. 

gold

Have any of us actually tried to reach Ridley's office and gotten his take on this?

SM

Go your hardest son.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: gold on May 14, 2009, 12:43:18 AM
Have any of us actually tried to reach Ridley's office and gotten his take on this?

I have a number, I'll try and call tomorrow. Very doubtful Scott himself will be in though.

echobbase79

In that interview every time Rothman opened his mouth I felt like he was taking a dump in his pants. He's a funny looking guy.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6790&Itemid=99

gold

Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on May 14, 2009, 03:47:11 AM
I have a number, I'll try and call tomorrow. Very doubtful Scott himself will be in though.

If you call and say you'd like to speak to him they'll take a message and you likely won't hear back.

Say your the spokesperson for avpgalaxy and a number of other franchise forums and have compiled a list of 8 questions for Ridley that have been collected in various competitions. If he'd be so kind as to answer.  Then mail his secretary the list and we'll see.

Don't call up and say I wan't to ask Ridley a question :)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

What so bad about Tom Rothman?  ???

echobbase79

Quote from: Kaworu on May 14, 2009, 09:08:33 PM
What so bad about Tom Rothman?  ???

What I dislike about him is that he seems to cater more to the general audience instead of trying to find a middle ground with the fans as well. But he's made a lot of money for Fox over the years with your typical run of the mill fluff.

A recent example would be Wolverine. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed