"Predator" 2009 Mini-Series

Started by vikingspawn, Mar 10, 2009, 08:01:50 PM

Author
"Predator" 2009 Mini-Series (Read 47,654 times)

Briar Wolf

Briar Wolf

I'm wondering if they'll continue as either Yautja or Hish (possibly the latter, considering it's the newest incarnation) or if they'll present yet another origin we'll have to deal with.  After all, from the description it seems to be delving much more into Predators as an entire race as opposed to just small hunting parties, so it seems to me like one of these is to be expected.

Also, I'm curious to see if the supposed Predator remake (if it does indeed happen) is going to follow this same design scheme or try and keep it like the original movie. 

As far as I'm concerned, any sort of continuity is dead and I'm just going with the flow.  So, whatever they make them into is whatever they make them into.  *shrug*

X-Rex

X-Rex

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 11, 2009, 04:39:26 AM
Quote from: Cellien on Mar 11, 2009, 02:48:04 AM
Great art style, but that don't look like no Pred...  More like a Brute from Halo.
Yeah, and the other Predators' armor reminds me of Elite armor from Halo, too.
Funny, as I saw the pic, I thought the exact same thing.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yautja were never in the comic. The only place to ever use the name/culture was the novels.

Friendly Wise

Friendly Wise

The story sounds interesting, but why Earth? I think it would be a lot more realistic if the war took place on some off set planet. Plus, I would have to agree, the armor seems out of place even though the story seems to be more military based. Still the military units for the predators in AvP: Extinction looked a lot more interesting than the ones displayed in this art work.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

......My faith in Dark Horse has dwindled TREMENDOUSLY. The Yautja (got an issue with me using the word when refering to the movies and novel? Deal with it) obviously don't look like they should as far as cotinuity goes .

As many others have said, they look way too much like Uruk-hai and Eldars. We've already have those in Batman and Superman vs Alien and Predator-- and now we're getting them again in the new Predator comics.

Dark Horse, just stick with the film appearance types... J.R.R. Tolkein didn't make the Predator. Winston did...

And if they go with the Hish mythos in the comics... well... I blame John Shirely...

I'm done here.

-Rakai

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 11, 2009, 04:10:55 PM
Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Mar 11, 2009, 10:25:45 AM
Those two Predator in the foreground look like they are wearing Tau Firewarrior armor to me. Even the gun looks Tau.
Haha, glad I'm not the only one who got that vibe, too.
yeah I'm feelin' that too. for a minute I was like "Is that a f**king crossover!?"

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

"This! Is! Sparta!"

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Like I said before, the cover wont reflect the internal art. They hardly ever do. They're different artists. Wait and see what the internal stuff looks like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Corpral_Hicks/sneek_peek_by_saltares.jpg

There's your Hish design. As for being on Earth, makes sense. Until AvP, all the Predator comics were on Earth and have continued to be. Outside the AvP comics and novels, and Forever Midnight and Flesh and Blood, all the others have been about the Hish on Earth.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well to be fair, the old comics weren't about the "Hish" any moreso than they were about the "Yautja".

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 12, 2009, 10:17:44 AM
Well to be fair, the old comics weren't about the "Hish" any moreso than they were about the "Yautja".

And considering that the AvP movies took major Yautja elements from the AvP comics and Novels by Perry, I'd say that Yautja are canon-- give or take what you will. The AvP films were meant to unit both the Predator and Alien movies in a single timeline and cotinuity, and seeing as that they are canon to both franchises, they do just that.

What astounds me is that alot of people still consider both the Alien and Predator films to be seperate universes when AvP basically ties them together. If you want to talk about an AvP/A-P Multiverse where things are different, be my guest.

And I'll take your word for it, Hicks... I'll keep an eye out on the new comics...

It's just that since Dark Horse has been pissing over my childhood, I've been less than enthusiastic.

-Rakai

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteI'd say that Yautja are canon-- give or take what you will.
Well technically according to FOX, the Hish stuff is canon as well. There's ways to make them both work together, but for now they're just fan-made theories.

QuoteThe AvP films were meant to unit both the Predator and Alien movies in a single timeline and cotinuity, and seeing as that they are canon to both franchises, they do just that.
Well it's all been united as a single timeline and continuity for over a decade - the comics and novels united them with myriad crossovers and references years ago. :)

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

As far as I'm concerned, the Yautja and Hish are like ridged and non-ridged Klingons. They're both Predators, they allow for different kinds of stories to be told, and the Hish were an evolution (now notice I didn't say logical evolution) of the concept.

As to whether either will feature into this series, I have to say I really don't care. I'm enough of a fanboy that I'll buy it whether its good or not, I'm just gonna come on here and bitch about it if it sucks.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Mar 12, 2009, 07:41:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the Yautja and Hish are like ridged and non-ridged Klingons. They're both Predators, they allow for different kinds of stories to be told, and the Hish were an evolution (now notice I didn't say logical evolution) of the concept.
I'm right there with you on that one. I'm willing to accept that the Hish are a genetic/societal offshoot of Predators as we know them from the movies. I don't see why the Yautja and Hish can't coexist.

Predator755

Predator755

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 12, 2009, 08:09:58 PM
Quote from: Mr. Domino on Mar 12, 2009, 07:41:34 PM
I'm right there with you on that one. I'm willing to accept that the Hish are a genetic/societal offshoot of Predators as we know them from the movies. I don't see why the Yautja and Hish can't coexist.

That makes sense to me... Saves the trouble of super-fans, like me, from bickering back and forth which is the right one and which isn't. While I still don't like the Hish concept, I'm willing to tolerate it if it means leaving out unneeded arguing.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

It just seems like the really obvious answer, too. One of them doesn't have to be "right" and completely erase the other, they can both exist. There have been similar societal/genetic ofshoots among various Star Wars alien species (Duros and Nemoidians, to name a pair off the top of my head. I think the Wroonians and Pantorans are another), I don't see why Predators can't have the same thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed