Aliens RPG.... CANCELLED?

Started by Xenomrph, Feb 12, 2009, 05:12:54 PM

Author
Aliens RPG.... CANCELLED? (Read 16,834 times)

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

Although I'm more of an FPS kind of gamer, this is very sad news. The RPG could have been AMAZING! Plus it would have been cool to see the series go in a new direction.

ALIEN 101

ALIEN 101

It's so annoying that so many alien/pred games get cancelled, i'm still optimistic but I have to say that I think the outlook for this game is bleak...AND A:CM... >:( >:( >:(!!!!!!!!!!

I just hope the new AvP game lives up to its expctations... :(

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

It better make up for the slaying of these two games!

ALIEN 101

ALIEN 101

yeah...it will be so annoying if they do a shit job, especially when the other games looked quite good

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Well, we've only seen shots of A:CM...unless i missed something on the RPG.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: Vulhala on Feb 12, 2009, 05:19:43 PM
HAHA!! Just like the movies, we wait years for a sequel to the franchise, and it gets iced in favour of AvP!

Hahaha.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Does Sega just hate us?

carnotaurus1350

carnotaurus1350

Well, this seems to be true sadly.. Some insider's have come out confirming the layoff's, and pretty much confirmed the project being dead. Wait and see, but even Sega just announced that they are canceling games, laying off employees, closing arcades..so..

Whats even more unfortunate is that development sounded steady, although not perfect.. But it seemed they were at the stage that they wanted to show off the game, and this news from Sega came sudden.

Here's hoping when things are official that things arent as bad off as they seem.. Otherwise it seems the rumors about Aliens: CM are true also...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I hope you guys understand that we really can't say anything. You guys are our community and I think you deserve some kind of comment, but unfortunately that comment is "no comment." 

Yeah, I think it's safe to say the RPG is gone. : http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=51628&st=30

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6204611.html

GameSpot is saying it's indefinitely been suspended:

Yesterday, Sega announced that it was pushing back Gearbox's shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines to make way for a new Aliens vs. Predator game. Today, GameSpot has learned that the Japanese publisher has indefinitely suspended work on its other Aliens-inspired project, an untitled role-playing game for consoles and the PC. The game had been actively in development at indie shop Obsidian Entertainment, whose cofounder Feargus Urquhart told GameSpot that it was "coming along nicely" at last year's D.I.C.E. Summit.

Game over?

Despite rumors of an outright cancellation, the Aliens RPG remains officially on the books--for now. When asked to confirm reports that the game had been shut down, Obsidian reps directed all inquiries to Sega, which offered a less-than-comforting comment.

"We will have more news to share about our Aliens franchise games in the near future," said the rep. "Sega does not comment on rumors or speculation about its products... Please stay tuned for future correspondence regarding our products."

If development is not resumed, it's likely that little will ever be known about Obsidian's Aliens RPG project, which was first announced with great fanfare in December 2006. Over the next two-plus years, though, the game was never shown to the press or public, unlike Aliens: Colonial Marines, which graced the cover of Game Informer last March. Inquires sent to Gearbox about that game's status had not been returned as of press time.

dave1978

dave1978

Also reading that Aliens CM is puched back in favour of what will almost certainley be a junk AvP game.

Well its time to make a stand and make it well known to Sega or whoever that WE than fans dont want a freaking corny AvP game unless its based on the old PC game but it will no doubt be based aound the junk films we were force fed.   I for one wont be buying an AvP game, i want Aliens CM been waiting since the PS2 game was cancelled.   

Not good enough Sega, stinks of FOX's dirty AvP fingers to me!

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: dave1978 on Feb 13, 2009, 12:03:56 PM
what will almost certainley be a junk AvP game.

Considering who's making it and their track record with AvP games, I doubt that.

Cellien

Cellien

Didn't they make the PSP AvP too though that got a whopping five.fail (5.5) on IGN?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Considering what they had to work with and the platform they were producing it for, I wouldn't say they did a bad job though.

The point is that they made AvP1 on PC, and that game kicked ass and won awards. I doubt they'd just... "forget" how to make that game. :P

Cellien

Cellien

Yeah, I guess my worry is more of if it's going to be a game like that or some movie tie-in game (new AvP movie?  2010 will have been 3 years from AvP-R and AvP-R was 3 years from AvP...).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed