Aliens RPG.... CANCELLED?

Started by Xenomrph, Feb 12, 2009, 05:12:54 PM

Author
Aliens RPG.... CANCELLED? (Read 16,774 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Sources tell Kotaku that Sega has pulled the plug on their upcoming Aliens Roleplaying Game under development by California-based developer Obsidian.

We've also been told that Obsidian, no longer working on the Sega project, laid off more than 20 people last night. With lack of official confirmation from anyone at the two companies involved, take this with a grain of salt.

Aliens Roleplaying Game was a title that Obsidian said would be "instilled with the action of Aliens and the terror of Alien" and take place in the "heart of science fiction horror." The title was under development for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Obsidian, located in Irvine, first worked on Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. They also created a number of Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion packs.

In a thread on the still-active forums for the Aliens Roleplaying Game, a developer said earlier this week that they would like to show the game at E3 or the New York Comic Con but that it was up to Sega.

We've also heard that the future of Gearbox-developed Aliens: Colonial Marines is also in doubt, with Sega reviewing the title. Of course, this is a rumor that has surfaced before.

The rumors come the day after Sega announced that a new Aliens vs. Predator game coming out in early 2010. In that announcement Sega said they had "strategically updated the release of the other upcoming Aliens titles currently in development within its portfolio."

"The innovative new AvP game presents an exciting opportunity for us," CEO of SEGA West, Naoya Tsurumi, said at the time. "It represents a fantastic addition to our growing Aliens franchise and the reinvention of one of gaming's most cherished iconic titles. By adjusting the release of our other Aliens titles to accommodate it, SEGA will ensure that every title lives up to the high expectations of Aliens and AvP fans."

Emails to Sega, Obsidian and Gearbox have not yet been returned.

Source

Whoops!

Vulhala

Vulhala

HAHA!! Just like the movies, we wait years for a sequel to the franchise, and it gets iced in favour of AvP!

But in all fairness, although I was excited by the prospect of the RPG, I could never get my head around how it would really work and if it would have been any good.

Sucks about A:CM though. BIG TIME!!   >:(

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Well that is a lot of BS...hope that A:CM doesn't get screwed.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

How...disturbing. I've emailed Sega. I hope this is bullshit.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 12, 2009, 06:12:40 PM
How...disturbing. I've emailed Sega. I hope this is bullshit.

BTW, I don't mean to keep pestering you about this Hicks, but did you get any further with the Colonial Marines interview? Was anything about ths new plan Sega have mentioned?   ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

As soon as. It should have been done by last monday but the guy was busy. Should be done by this weekend hopefully.

War Wager

War Wager

I couldn't care less about this game being canned, we haven't really had anything info on it. Plus the RPG genre isn't my favourite.

chupacabras acheronsis

maybe sega is turnig their efforts on the new AVP game.

or maybe the whole Aliens RPG project was a cover-up 0.O

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I generally don't like RPGs, but I ended up loving both 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic' games. Part of that is because I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and part of that is because they were good games.

I'd play an Aliens RPG game partly out of curiosity to see how it's handled, and partly because it's an ALIENS game.

Cellien

Cellien

The 'update' from Sega nearly confirms it's dead as they could have used the spotlight to reassure fans it's still in development, but instead they said:

"We do not respond to speculation or rumor questions."

:-\

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Well that pretty much confirms it...it's dead.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well to be somewhat optimistic, they might be in the "let's reevaluate" stage right now, because if they say outright "yes it's cancelled", then people get all upset and then they have to do damage control later if they change their mind. Likewise, if they say "no it's still going" and then pull the plug after reevaluating, then everyone gets disappointed after getting "reassured" that things were still going to happen.

Cellien

Cellien

That's true, I just don't have much faith at this point.  If AvP3 is slated for 2010 release and these are to come out sometime after (lets say 2011), that's a massive development period.  It's possible they could be shelved for a later date, but that essentially is canceling the current development cycle, and possibly the current builds altogether.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm willing to wait and see what happens. :) If it get canceled, well that sucks I guess, but maybe it'll happen some other time down the road. :)

Cellien

Cellien

Hey, I'm willing to wait too when I don't have a choice!  :P  I mean, I'll still buy the games when I'm f*cking 65.5 and retired. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed