Why did Harrison Ford turn down Captain Dallas?

Started by Pvt. Hicks, Jan 31, 2009, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Why did Harrison Ford turn down Captain Dallas? (Read 11,460 times)

wmmvrrvrrmm

well, even though we have it in IMDB, I suppose I'd want to find out where the information originated from because it hasn't not always been accurate, but maybe it's a start .

Kimo

He was probley too much of a big/upcoming name when Alien was planned. I mean think about it? you get offerd the 2nd Star Wars movie because the first one was such a mayjor hit, and you probaly be getting a shit load of other scripts shoved in your face, and then someone else says we have this low budget B-movie type of horror sci-fi flick called Alien with some unknown director and a b-movie plot... What would you go for? I know the likes of Tom Skerritt, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Holm were well known at the time, but the had nothing to prove because the already had street cred. I would put the likes of Harrison Ford back then on the same lines as Christian Bale is today, a new super star were everyone wants to use him in there latest mega block busters flick.

But i do belive if he got offerd Alien afew years after the Star wars buzz died down he may of went for it, to try he hand at something differnt.

SM

Indy was still years off at that point - he was only cast at the very last minute anyway - and Harry would've been busy with Force 10 From Navarone and Hanover St around the time Alien was being made.

maledoro

Quote from: Kimo on Feb 04, 2009, 12:43:40 AM
He was probley too much of a big/upcoming name when Alien was planned.
He wasn't. Skerritt was more of a familiar face.

I mean think about it? you get offerd the 2nd Star Wars movie because the first one was such a mayjor hit, and you probaly be getting a shit load of other scripts shoved in your face, and then someone else says we have this low budget B-movie type of horror sci-fi flick called Alien with some unknown director and a b-movie plot... What would you go for?
Being around in 1979, I assure you it didn't happen that way. Star Wars fever didn't really become an epidemic overnight. Ford was still a bit actor, even if he had a few lead roles in some minor films.

Kimo

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 04, 2009, 01:28:34 AM
He was probley too much of a big/upcoming name when Alien was planned.
He wasn't. Skerritt was more of a familiar face.

I mean think about it? you get offerd the 2nd Star Wars movie because the first one was such a mayjor hit, and you probaly be getting a shit load of other scripts shoved in your face, and then someone else says we have this low budget B-movie type of horror sci-fi flick called Alien with some unknown director and a b-movie plot... What would you go for?
Being around in 1979, I assure you it didn't happen that way. Star Wars fever didn't really become an epidemic overnight. Ford was still a bit actor, even if he had a few lead roles in some minor films.

Hey dont get me wrong im just guessing from the top of my head why Ford may of turned down Alien if he was infact offerd the role. So dont take my word for it. ;)
Skerritt already made his mark in hollywood so he would probably take on unique roles for a gamble since he had nothing to lose. Were Ford may of been advised on what to take since he may of been hollywoods money cow at that time. But like i said im just guessing from the top of my head so i maybe wrong.

maledoro

Quote from: Kimo on Feb 05, 2009, 12:14:03 AM
Were Ford may of been advised on what to take since he may of been hollywoods money cow at that time.
But Ford wasn't a box office draw back then. He didn't become a household name until after Empire was released.

Kimo

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 05, 2009, 12:21:49 AM
Quote from: Kimo on Feb 05, 2009, 12:14:03 AM
Were Ford may of been advised on what to take since he may of been hollywoods money cow at that time.
But Ford wasn't a box office draw back then. He didn't become a household name until after Empire was released.

Well maybe Alien was just not his cup of tea. or maybe he could not take the role at the time for what ever reason.

Pvt. Hicks

I think my question was answered. He was busy with Star Wars. I think it's a bit pointless for more speculation. :)

maledoro

Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on Feb 05, 2009, 12:44:00 AM
I think my question was answered. He was busy with Star Wars. I think it's a bit pointless for more speculation. :)
Well, he was retained for Empire.
;)

BishopShouldGo

Well, turns out he declined the role because he didn't want to play another space pilot. It's in a book about Ridley Scott.

More fun facts: Tommy Lee Jones was offered the movie, and Steven Spielberg was offered the director's chair, too.

markweatherill

Oh my! Next thing it'll be 'John Williams was going to write the score'! Imagine that...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Nov 27, 2016, 09:10:38 PM
Well, turns out he declined the role because he didn't want to play another space pilot. It's in a book about Ridley Scott.

More fun facts: Tommy Lee Jones was offered the movie, and Steven Spielberg was offered the director's chair, too.

Which book is this, BSG?

Local Trouble

Are you our illustrious admin's little brother?  Or his child?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 29, 2016, 03:46:48 PM

Are you our illustrious admin's little brother?  Or his child?

That's our illustrious admin from 2009 before he got his promotion.

Valaquen

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Feb 03, 2009, 10:59:25 PM
well, even though we have it in IMDB, I suppose I'd want to find out where the information originated from because it hasn't not always been accurate, but maybe it's a start .

Garry Jenkins' Harrison Ford: Imperfect Hero might be a source. It states that "at Elstree, Scott had offered him the role of Dallas, the ill- fated captain of the space tanker Nostromo in his second major feature, Alien".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed