Greatest Survivor???

Started by Cpl Hudson, Jun 10, 2007, 10:54:40 AM

Author
Greatest Survivor??? (Read 6,190 times)

Cpl Hudson

Cpl Hudson

A follow on to my Greatest Camouflage post.

For me the naswer to this one is fairly academic.

Alien wins, hands down!

Of course i wouldnt dream of making such a biased statement without backing it up, so here goes!

Predators:  Not really many hints towards their survival abilities.  They are obviously humanoid, and are susceptible to major changes in temperature.  They require breathing apparatus when in our atmosphere, as displayed in predator 2, therefore their survivability is mainly technology based.  They obvioulsy have proved themselves more than capable of overcoming any natural predators they come across on alien worlds (they take on aliens one on one for chrissakes!  How many humans can claim that?! apart form Ripley of course.  And Vasquez)  We also establish in predator 2 that they need to feed every few days, they bleed fluorescent green which i have also seen as a natural balance to their stealth an hunting skills, sort of a built in weakness to give their prey a fighting chance, and their self destruct mechanism, which demonstrates that although it is extremely difficult to take a pred down,it aint impossible, or they would'nt need an arm strapped mini nuke.

Aliens:  C'mon!  You really have to ask?  There aint a place anywhere except maybe the lava bed of a volcano that these nasty lil critters could survive.  You name it, they can live there.  Planets without atmosphere, human environments, the vacuum of space, the freezing depths of the antarctic ocean.  They have no need to breathe from what we can see.  People will probably argue this point saying that you can clearly see an hear aliens breathing in the films, but think about it.....Aliens have concentrated acid for blood, another extremely handy survival mechanism as it would put pretty much anything an anyone off attacking you,we find out from bishops analysis in Aliens that the molecular acid completely oxidises when exposed to our atmosphere, completely neutralising it.  So if they breathed like we do, it would destroy one of their greatest defence mechanisms, bit silly lol.  Also as far as we know, they dont eat.  You never see an alien snacking on some poor so-an-so on the way back to cocoon them at the hive do you?  Their reproduction system is blatantly obvious to all by now.  As Ash says Alien.  It's a perfect organism, no conscience, no remorse.  Its only reason for existing is to breed.  Now thats how u survive, and ensure the survival of your species.

Yautja666

Yautja666

The predator need breathing apparatus because he was shot 7 times by shotgun at point blank range, thus he was wounded. ::)

Alien need to breathe unlike facehugger. Also how much time an alien can live in a space vaccum holding is breath? not for the eternity i suppose, the same apply as in the underwater scenario. :P

We have seen the predators survives harsh environnement as well. 

Both are great survivors but i wouldn't say the alien win hand down.

Also the fact that predator use technology to enhance his physical attributes and skills ain't a weakness on the contrary it's part of him. Predator natural physical form + technology= Best species of the two imho.
But i agree that without is equipment and technology he falls second. ;)

Predboy

Predboy

Quote from: Cpl Hudson on Jun 10, 2007, 10:54:40 AM
the vacuum of space, the freezing depths of the antarctic ocean. 

Its amazing how alien fans will think that just because an alien is seen hurdaling in space and the ocean for a few seconds, they think, oh, this sucker can survive space and the freazing temperatures of the ocean, no problem. C,mon, lets face reality people. There is absolutly, NO PROOF of an alien surviving the vacuum of space or the freazing temperatures of the ocean, not to mention the pressure will built up on them and kill them. As for the surviving in space thing, an alien can survive for a limited time, no doubt about that, but it will eventually die, mainly because of lack of oxygen or what ever they breathe. That is, unless you have proof that they dont breath anything. ::)

Quote from: Yautja666 on Jun 10, 2007, 05:36:53 PM
he was shot 7 times by shotgun at point blank range

The predator was shot 6 times actually, the other shots bounced off his armor.

aliensetta

aliensetta

Quote from: Predboy on Jun 10, 2007, 08:31:29 PM
Quote from: Cpl Hudson on Jun 10, 2007, 10:54:40 AM
the vacuum of space, the freezing depths of the antarctic ocean. 

Its amazing how alien fans will think that just because an alien is seen hurdaling in space and the ocean for a few seconds, they think, oh, this sucker can survive space and the freazing temperatures of the ocean, no problem. C,mon, lets face reality people. There is absolutly, NO PROOF of an alien surviving the vacuum of space or the freazing temperatures of the ocean, not to mention the pressure will built up on them and kill them. As for the surviving in space thing, an alien can survive for a limited time, no doubt about that, but it will eventually die, mainly because of lack of oxygen or what ever they breathe. That is, unless you have proof that they dont breath anything. ::)

Alien fans don't think aliens can live in space and in freezeing cold water. They just think that aliens can live in space and cold water for a couple hours.

Aliens are the greatest survivors CASE CLOSED!!!

SiL

SiL

Aliens are born perfectly adapted to whatever atmospheric conditions they happen to find themselves in. Gravity, available atmosphere, etc, with a prolonged resistence to adverse environmental conditions - See, getting covered in lead. Whether or not they can survive moving from one atmosphere to another, I don't know, but I wouldn't put it past them. No, they can't live in space.

Predators, on the other hand, seem to have evolved in a specific environment, most likely one with lots of trees, given their apparently arboreal nature.

Predboy

Predboy

Quote from: aliensetta on Jun 10, 2007, 08:57:41 PM
Alien fans don't think aliens can live in space and in freezeing cold water. They just think that aliens can live in space and cold water for a couple hours.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Oh my god, all of your posts says otherwise.

aliensetta

aliensetta

Quote from: Predboy on Jun 10, 2007, 10:45:45 PM
Quote from: aliensetta on Jun 10, 2007, 08:57:41 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Oh my god, all of your posts says otherwise.

They do?  ??? ???

Predboy

Predboy

Yes, they do. I've even had an argument with someone about this as well. I dont remember what thread it was in though. Not to mention this pretty little thread has the guy who started it saying it.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Well don't forget that the facehugger was alive and well in a toxic atmosphere that was freezing "well below the line," in alien.  I don't think the facehugger would have abilities the adult aliens don't.

I don't think they can survive in space indefinately (what would be the point-space is HUGE, the alien would simply be an entity floating endlessly), but wherever there is an atmosphere, I think like Sil, they can adapt to it without much problem.

You could say the queen in AvP died for different reasons.  There is pressure underwater, dive down to the bottom of a ten foot pool and imagine that times 50 or 60 times.  Also she was pretty cut up.  And aside from that, even if she survived she was chained to the metal water holder.  Trying to burn through it wouldn't work, as the water would dilute acid fairly quickly.

Ansul

Ansul

Do you guys think a Predator could survive a vacuum of space or the depths of the Antarctic ocean? Come on, just because the Aliens can't do that, doesn't mean a Predator can do it like it was BORN doing it! There's no proof of a Predator being able to do that either. Even though, yes they have they're space ships, but we're talking about individuals of each being put through the same situations, right?

I don't know who would survive better - The Alien with its huge amount of self defense mechanisms, or the Predator with some of its skills and weaponry.

I'm biased to say Alien, but I've never seen an Alien and a Predator compared side by side in any scenarios for the sake of an opinion. Just the actiony scenes and stuff, I suppose.  :-\ :-\ :-\

That and I don't think that many things were meant to survive a vacuum of space, but didn't the face huggers do it in Alien? If that's so, then where did the original Aliens go? You know, the ones that came out of the space jockeys. That would have to prove that Aliens couldn't do it and facehuggers could. But maybe they were just hiding or something.  ??? ??? ???

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Ansul on Jun 11, 2007, 08:35:03 PM

I'm biased to say Alien, but I've never seen an Alien and a Predator compared side by side in any scenarios for the sake of an opinion. Just the actiony scenes and stuff, I suppose.  :-\ :-\ :-\

That and I don't think that many things were meant to survive a vacuum of space, but didn't the face huggers do it in Alien? If that's so, then where did the original Aliens go? You know, the ones that came out of the space jockeys. That would have to prove that Aliens couldn't do it and facehuggers could. But maybe they were just hiding or something.  ??? ??? ???

I imagine the jockey burster lived for some time, and then died.  The facehuggers are in protective encasements afterall.

Ansul

Ansul

Oh, that makes life easier.  ;D

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: Predboy on Jun 10, 2007, 08:31:29 PM

There is absolutly, NO PROOF of an alien surviving the vacuum of space or the freazing temperatures of the ocean, not to mention the pressure will built up on them and kill them. As for the surviving in space thing, an alien can survive for a limited time, no doubt about that, but it will eventually die, mainly because of lack of oxygen or what ever they breathe. That is, unless you have proof that they dont breath anything. ::)

[/quote]

but there is no proof that shows that the original alien, the queen in Aliens or the Queen in AVP are dead.

there is no proof to show they can survive in Vaccum or the depths of the ocean, but there is also no proof to show they cannot 

SiL

SiL

Quotebut there is no proof that shows that the original alien
It being hit with the full force of the shuttle's engines is somewhat a give-away.

SM

SM

If memory serves both script and novel say the Alien is dead after Ripley hits the afterburners.  If that helps any.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed