Screens Most Have Seen - But Nicely Formatted and Hi-Res (A:CM)

Started by Cellien, Dec 30, 2008, 04:24:25 PM

Author
Screens Most Have Seen - But Nicely Formatted and Hi-Res (A:CM) (Read 48,333 times)

Chris!(($$))!

And they even said they were going to change the placement of the Pulse Rifle. Look in the 11 seconds of game play.

Sh0dan

Sh0dan

Quote from: szuran on Feb 28, 2010, 07:39:17 AM
They look very accurate, but sterile, too. GBX needs to put some dirt on them; Rebellion has done a good job recreating old, eaten by rust buildings and machines. This is just... plastic. Although I would play ACM with 16-bit era graphics, if the atmosphere was good and the game was entertaining.

The original two movies are also sterile looking. That's part of the artistic style. While the graphics will definitely change from these old screens. The GBX artists need to keep the sterile look if they want to do justice to the movies.

Here are some movie comparison pics.

As you can see most of it is pretty accurate to the movies. But one area AvP did a much better job is the hive. GBX hive walls dont look that great in these shots, so hopefully they listened to our feedback on that.

Also you can find some very high resolution screens click here. There's a lot of detail in these that you cant make out in the other screens.

Dill-On

PLEXI

As nice as these screenshots are... yes, they do show a high level of commitment to recreating the environment/objects we all know and love... but I seriously hope they don't come close to reflecting the final product. They could have at least used the right colors and lighting instead of taking the shortcut.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: PLEXI on Mar 11, 2010, 04:55:44 PM
As nice as these screenshots are... yes, they do show a high level of commitment to recreating the environment/objects we all know and love... but I seriously hope they don't come close to reflecting the final product. They could have at least used the right colors and lighting instead of taking the shortcut.

I think somewhere one of the Devs or it was said by someone that the screens were brightened or something to be seen more clearly.

Space Marine

Well gearbox is makeing it (if not said) They said it was going to be a squad based game you know with co-op? And i do not like the grahpics as much as AvP(2010) Some of these sceenshots i saw before claiming to be AvP screenshots!

Brother

We haven't seen enough stuff and these screens are fairly old but, I'd pick better gameplay, story, alien design, original weapons and all that stuff over graphics anyday.

PLEXI

QuoteI think somewhere one of the Devs or it was said by someone that the screens were brightened or something to be seen more clearly.
No no no... that's not what I'm talking about. By lighting, I mean an effect similar to what James Cameron used in ALIENS, that bluish lighting that made the colors look washed out under certain conditions. Such as the Pulse Rifle, M577, and Xenomorphs all being brownish. The USCM armor being browns and greens rather than grey.. From the screenshots it looks like GBX simply skipped the unique lighting to make the assets how they 'looked' in the movie.  Call it nit picking but for a game that's supposed to be very realistic to the movie...it just bugs me.. a lot.

Chris!(($$))!

Well in that case it was said they were going to recreate the grain effect seen in the film so I wouldn't worry about that.

Brother

Plus, it's a couple of days in the future so lights and shadows evolved.............

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Brother on Mar 13, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
Plus, it's a couple of days in the future so lights and shadows evolved.............

Especially shadows. They can now hide from us whenever they please.

Sh0dan

Sh0dan

Quote from: PLEXI on Mar 13, 2010, 04:17:52 PM
QuoteI think somewhere one of the Devs or it was said by someone that the screens were brightened or something to be seen more clearly.
No no no... that's not what I'm talking about. By lighting, I mean an effect similar to what James Cameron used in ALIENS, that bluish lighting that made the colors look washed out under certain conditions. Such as the Pulse Rifle, M577, and Xenomorphs all being brownish. The USCM armor being browns and greens rather than grey.. From the screenshots it looks like GBX simply skipped the unique lighting to make the assets how they 'looked' in the movie.  Call it nit picking but for a game that's supposed to be very realistic to the movie...it just bugs me.. a lot.

Well they are also recreating the look of the original film as well, so if you look at the comparison pics then I assume, that's why the overall colour shade is a little less blue in some shots, and closer to ALIEN in some cases.

Also it was not the lighting that gave the movie that washed out bluish tint. Apparently Cameron treated the films print to make it look that way. The marine gear was apparently brown. The treatment made the final movie marine gear appear (like you said) washed out and almost olive green. So its impossible for GBX to recreate that look the truly authentic way since they aren't working on film. I guess they could use a filter of some sort, that gives the same effect, but why tax performance when you can just build everything exactly how it appeared in the final movie?

I did notice the PR looked more green in the brief jace hall footage and in the render shot. And there is that shot with the motion tracker that looks more olive greenish. Also its very likely they these shots were colour adjusted a little afterwards, before releasing them to the press. Besides there's been a lot of time to perfect the look since these old screen were released. I think they are a good starting point.

Griffith

QuoteWarning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

We should have a Media Thread with the old and news screenshots, jayce hall footage, teaser trailer and the stuff from E3 since the media campaign will provide more and more stuff I suggest to keep this topic in order. A new thread maybe?

ikarop

No worries. F.A.Q, media, etc... threads are already in the works.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed