Why Aliens are skinny and Preds are thick, but strength is similar

Started by Meathead320, Jun 07, 2007, 05:22:27 PM

Author
Why Aliens are skinny and Preds are thick, but strength is similar (Read 3,988 times)

Meathead320

My theory on why the Aliens are skinny, and have such skeletally thin limbs, yet are very strong.

The Aliens do have an endoskeleton, and what has been called "exoskeleton" is really chitin armor.

I compare the hide of the Alien to the IBA "interceptor" armor: The hard parts need armor piercing rounds to have any hope of penetrating, while the softer parts are merely good enough for protecting against shrapnel and are not as good at dealing with munitions.

None the less, the Aliens, all of their stages from hugger to Queen have an endoskeleton.

Bones are moved by skeletal muscles.

On the Aliens the bones and muscles may well be made of different substance, but function in a similar way. The muscles still move the bones by pulling them from insertion point to corresponding insertion point, and contract in order to move the bone in the same direction as that muscle is pulling.

Tendons are more dense than muscle, and have a similar tensile strength, but are smaller in diameter, and are mostly used to connect the muscle to the bone at the point of insertion.

The Alien's muscles structure may be more similar to tendon structure, and function like a contracting steel cable, very strong, yet without a huge diameter needed for the tensile strength.

So human muscles are more like a fiber-sponge, and the Aliens are more like a steel cable.

That would explain why their limbs have relative thin circumference, yet surprisingly strong.

Predators on the other hand, would function much more like a humans. Their muscles, while stronger than ours, still are more like the fiber-sponge with the ability to engorge with blood and flex, and have a larger circumference compared to their tensile strength than an Alien of equal tensile strength would have.

Basically if there where an Alien that could Bench Press 1 ton, and a Pred that could also BP one ton, the Pred's arms would still be at least twice the circumference as the Alien's, but both would be equal in tensile strength.

Vader the White

That sounds logical, Captian.

Man, I'm a huge nerd.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jun 07, 2007, 05:22:27 PM
None the less, the Aliens, all of their stages from hugger to Queen have an endoskeleton.

While I myself have made arguments that the Aliens can be exoskeletal in nature, I'd have to disagree with this point.

The facehugger is clearly endoskeletal. 

Meathead320

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jun 08, 2007, 03:24:03 AM
Quote from: Meathead320 on Jun 07, 2007, 05:22:27 PM

While I myself have made arguments that the Aliens can be exoskeletal in nature, I'd have to disagree with this point.

The facehugger is clearly endoskeletal. 

I think you may have just read the post too fast.

I made a point that the Aliens have "endo"skeletons, and that the exoskeletal Qualities, are due to Chitin armor.

This may also be a combo of both, endo and exo in some places. Nothing wrong with them being a blend of both.

Either way, they muscle system that moves them fuction like steel cables.

SiL

This is another reason I hate Perry. There's absolutely nothing in the films to suggest an exoskeleton, yet Perry comes along, makes a mention of it in his book, and boom, it's canon.

Given the Alien's biomechanical nature, and Giger's love of bones, I'm all for Meathead320's explanation. Although instead of chitin I think it'd be more like some funky organic lithe metal, but that's me. The Aliens are weird like that.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jun 08, 2007, 09:35:00 PM
I think you may have just read the post too fast.
Way too fast.  Sorry 'bout that dude.   :-[

QuoteThis may also be a combo of both, endo and exo in some places. Nothing wrong with them being a blend of both.
Yep, I've argued that on at least one occasion.

SiL

Except the fact there's jack-all to support them having an exoskeleton outside of Perry saying so. Are novels canon now, then?

Meathead320

Quote from: SiL on Jun 09, 2007, 09:47:42 PM
Except the fact there's jack-all to support them having an exoskeleton outside of Perry saying so. Are novels canon now, then?

What I meant by combination, is that certain parts of the skeletal system may be external, such as the Ribcage on Adult Aliens.

This portion of the Alien, for example, is a skeletal part on the outside of the body.

They bones to the arms and the cable like muscles that connect them attach inside of the ribcage.

The ribcage is like an exoskeleton, but other parts of the body seem to work with an underlaying endoskeleton.

Some parts have internal bones, and others parts are the bones.

The verteba is also an example of bones on the outside of the Alien. These segmented parts would have those cable like muscle on the inside too.

That is what I meant by combo of both. Not an exoskeleton that covers the whole body with an endo underneath it.

Just like not all parts of the Alien's armor are bullet proof, but many parts are.

SiL

Depends on which design we're talking about.

Giger design, yes, because we can see tubes beneath the ribs. Current designs, no. There's nothing beneath the ribs. Just more flesh.

Meathead320

Quote from: SiL on Jun 10, 2007, 07:17:36 AM
Depends on which design we're talking about.

Giger design, yes, because we can see tubes beneath the ribs. Current designs, no. There's nothing beneath the ribs. Just more flesh.

I see your point. Either way, you are right that there is very little to suggest they have an Exo-skeleton.

More like An endokeleton, with a lot of armored body parts. That is what I meant by "chitin" armor.

They got armor on them, and even the soft parts need point blank rounds to penetrate, or a weapon made from an Alien part, or a Pred weapon.

The muscles however function like cables.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed