User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AVP3 Ideas  (Read 182227 times)

The Old One
Nov 25, 2018, 05:45:05 PM
Reply #1575 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:45:05 PM
Q
Oh c'mon, you know exactly what I mean.

It's a situation where Predator exists as a starter or side-dish to the Alien Franchise, and that's not a healthy relationship for either partner.

Predator inhabits the world of Alien quite a bit, but because Predator has no universe to speak of- 
Because Predator inhabits the world of Alien quite a bit Predator finds it difficult to stand on it's own two feet.
Predator ought to be performing in the same leagues as Halloween, Friday the 13th & A Nightmare On Elm Street.
Or go bigger and have a team of talented people extrapolate the Predator universe into something larger- Avatar-like.

But being tied to Alien for either of these potential scenarios does it no favours.
Because ultimately then, it's back to the beginning concept of- a Predator in the Alien Universe.
& Predator ought to be more than that.

Perfect-Organism
Nov 25, 2018, 05:49:09 PM
Reply #1576 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:49:09 PM
Q
I think AVP has played itself out.  But mostly I think that is in terms of it having some sort of canonical merit.  Comics can still be fun, but crossing predators and any subject matter related to Prometheus are ill advised even in comics.  That was the problem with Fire, Stone, Life and death.

A literal adaptation of the original AVP series as a film would be cool.  No question.  But the key would be to make it non-canonical from the get-go.

It's a situation where Predator exists as a starter or side-dish to the Alien Franchise, and that's not a healthy relationship for either partner.

Predator inhabits the world of Alien quite a bit, but because Predator has no universe to speak of- 
Because Predator inhabits the world of Alien quite a bit Predator finds it difficult to stand on it's own two feet.
Predator ought to be performing in the same leagues as Halloween, Friday the 13th & A Nightmare On Elm Street.
Or go bigger and have a team of talented people extrapolate the Predator universe into something larger- Avatar-like.

But being tied to Alien for either of these potential scenarios does it no favours.
Because ultimately then, it's back to the beginning concept of- a Predator in the Alien Universe.

Yes, I tend to agree with this.  Predator doesn't build its own lore.  Mind you I'm so bored of Predators I haven't even seen the new film yet.

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2018, 05:52:17 PM by Perfect-Organism »

Voodoo Magic
Nov 25, 2018, 06:18:18 PM
Reply #1577 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:18:18 PM
Q

I'm sorry, how should someone take calling the Predator franchise an "irrelevant corpse" other than literally, and as an effort to be coarse and belittling?

Disagree. And often in AVP lore, Alien is the sidedish.

Because Predator inhabits the world of Alien quite a bit

Its only natural and organic when your merging Alien and Predator lore to include major aspects of each.  And since Alien exists in the future, and the company... aka Weyland-Yutani Corp.. is such an intricate part of the Alien world, it had to be included... considering no such company existed in Predator, other than the US military and special divisions of said military. It would only make sense to bring in that intricate part of Alien, from a writer's perspective, when merging the two.

The net of it is though, nothing can change each other's mind, but let's try not to be rude about it please.

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2018, 06:21:26 PM by Voodoo Magic »

The Old One
Nov 25, 2018, 06:33:16 PM
Reply #1578 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:33:16 PM
Q

Disagree. And often in AVP lore, Alien is the sidedish.

Nonsense- every AVP story is essentially an Alien story with a Predator dropped in.
That's inarguable.

Because Predator inhabits the world of Alien quite a bit.

Its only natural and organic when your merging Alien and Predator lore to include major aspects of each.  And since Alien exists in the future, and the company... aka Weyland-Yutani Corp.. is such an intricate part of the Alien world, it had to be included... considering no such company existed in Predator, other than the US military and special divisions of said military. It would only make sense to bring in that intricate part of Alien, from a writer's perspective, when merging the two.

Seems like you're missing the point by a wide margin.

Predator ought to be performing in the same leagues as Halloween, Friday the 13th &
A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Voodoo Magic
Nov 25, 2018, 06:49:03 PM
Reply #1579 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:49:03 PM
Q
I've suggested myself that Predator can adopt the slasher model successfully, and Aliens have been sometimes reduced to cannon fodder prey in some AvP EU... aka sidedish.

But you're missing my point by a wide margin. We can agree to disagree, but be respectful about it.

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2018, 06:53:21 PM by Voodoo Magic »

The Old One
Nov 25, 2018, 07:04:56 PM
Reply #1580 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:04:56 PM
Q
I'm sorry my corpse comment offended so much, it was only intended as a jovial jab.
(Much like your Blade-Runner comment.)
If I hated Predator or considered it really irrelevant, I'd say it's only future is with AVP.
Because of association to Alien. (But I believe precisely the opposite.)

Voodoo Magic
Nov 25, 2018, 07:36:28 PM
Reply #1581 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:36:28 PM
Q
I'm sorry my corpse comment offended so much, it was only intended as a jovial jab.
(Much like your Blade-Runner comment.)
If I hated Predator or considered it really irrelevant, I'd say it's only future is with AVP.
Because of association to Alien. (But I believe precisely the opposite.)

Appreciate it.  Cheers  :)

D. Compton Ambrose
Nov 25, 2018, 10:37:41 PM
Reply #1582 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:37:41 PM
Q
The characters by themselves command such a powerful aura of authority and nobility within fandom, that they both have virtually limitless wells from which to draw literary material.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed