New Members >>> Introduce Yourself

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:01:10 AM

Author
New Members >>> Introduce Yourself (Read 1,257,881 times)

Valamis

Valamis

Hi.
I am Valamis. I am from Poland. I help with mods or make addons for games sometimes. I like AvP world. That's why I found this community which is the biggest from what I've seen so far. So hello everyone!

Master Chief

Welcome aboard to all of the new recruits!

Voodoo Magic

Welcome Valamis!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I've read that Cameron had the actors read Starship Troopers in old media, and The Forever War in newer media.

I wonder which it was (or if its both).

Forever War is superior in every way imo, and I wonder if Cameron found out some kind of way it was the better story and his ego wouldn't let his actors have just read SST. 

Tavar

Tavar

Hello,

I'm Tavar. I chose this name from one of my favorite book series. It has nothing to do with aliens I'm afraid, but its what i prefer to be called when I am gaming with friends.

Anyways, I have been wanting an alien suit for ages, and have been trying to research who could make one for years. I am hoping this site will be able to help point me in the right direction.
I have been a fan of the Alien franchise since I was young, and within the past few years actually acquired a laserdisc player along with a copy of alien, which I watch on a regular basis.

Tavar

Corporal Hicks

Welcome to the site, Tavar. Personally I'd redirect you to Aliens Legacy for costuming help. It's not a huge part of our community, I'm afraid.

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/

Miguel

Miguel

Hi! I'm Miguel. I'm 28 years old.

I'm a huge Alien fan, mainly any related to first film. I love science-fiction, horror and Giger's art. My favourite movie is Alien (obviously) and my favourite video game is, of course, Alien:Isolation.

Also, I love reading, mainly novels, though I like also the comic series (if it includes Amanda Ripley or some related, better).

I'm glad to be a new member of this forum.

PS: I'm spanish, so I'm sorry if my english is not good enough.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Hey Chicks & Dicks (& other Non-Binary intelligences),

My name is Kase and up until now I've been a creepy lurker around these parts. I've got this ambitious project I've been working on, 'cause I'm an aspie nutter. It's rad to meet you all. I pretty much love all aspects of the franchises. Though I'm not a gamer of any sort for reasons of personal sanity (hyperfocus can be a real pretty bitch, y'all), I enjoy the cinematic quality of the art design and story building that goes along with them and thus I'm not overly bothered by any game mechanics, janky or otherwise, because I'm just going to catch the playthroughs on the 'tubes anyhow.  That being said, I'm not all Sister Mary Sunshine and if you catch me on the right night I can gripe sesh with the best of 'em. (I'm looking at your sorry waste-of-time ass, 'Unreliable Narrator' trope, you know what you did.) Also, because of the Emergence based nature of my project, I'm less interested in seemingly contradictory story elements than I am in deducing rational ways that those seeming contradictions could be rectified. What's Emergence? Well, I'm glad you may or may not have asked...

Emergence as a concept is nature's real world knack for giving rise to patterns of exquisite order out of the humble origins of mindless chaos. It's the collectively defined layout of cities and their convergences and divergences of culture. It's the phenomena of light and color as we perceive it based upon nothing more than the patterns of molecules on the surfaces of different substances around us and how their rough little nanoscopic landscapes either absorb or reflect massless little eddies in spacetime. It's how ants form complex megastructure hives from nothing more than the end result of myriad individual little oblivious drones ambling haplessly about through their days, unaware that creatures magnitudes above their scale of lifespan or dimension sometimes stop to ponder them.

Mythologies and franchises alike rise out of weird human fascinations and collective creations, whether they be Olympian gods or bat men, or biomechanical nightmares. Rhapsodic claptrap aside, I'm fascinated by maps of the unknown and the vast hive of collective creation that can arise when our imaginations reach out and plumb the darkness just past the edges of our respective perception.

So, to that end, I started with a map, the idea of one anyway, a Star Trek map, A 3D Star trek map, as accurate and beautiful as possible, attempting to go one small step further than the monumental efforts of Geoff Mandel and other passionate nerds from otherwheres and otherwhens. From the collective data he and his cohorts mapped out in Star Charts back in 2002, drawing upon the then 35 years of Trek stories and a slightly more accurate star map then they had the last time they tried back in '79.

Yeah... not pretty yet, but these are snaps of an old work in progress.

But, lets face it, with a dataset of over 700 individual stories nowadays, well it's gonna take a little longer than I've got on hand at the moment, so I've decided to back up a little and turn once again towards another love of mine; the collective universe of Aliens and Predator.

The contributions to organizational data structures that have been made by the likes of SM, Aaron Percival and Crew, the Xenopedia hive, 'Mother' Clara down in the antipodes, the cats behind Alien Theory, and so many more, can't be applauded enough. My hope is that the work I'm putting into this practice in fresh kinds of madness will be greeted with the love that's wholly intended. And hey, I've only got a little over 200 points in the dataset, not counting adaptation iterations! Soooo, easy peasy, facey squeezie.

I'm not sure what precise form the final map will take, but I'm taking great pains to incorporate all the hard work put in by others along similar lines, I'm throwing everything down on the canvas and seeing what grand picture arises, will it resemble Middle Earth? Westeros? The Nine Circles of Dante's Infernal Hell? The Other Dimensional realms of ancient Elder Gods way above either your or my pay grade? Shit, I've got a nice pretty nice wealth of data from ESA Gaia to start with, so let's hit it.

The goal of my project is not to compartmentalize individual canons, but to add it all together and see what patterns of rationale or consensus arise. A bit of carbon here, a bit of silicon there, a smattering of science, some deduction, a teensy bit of sadism, some corporate intrigue and a plethora of viscera.

Well hey, that sounds like a franchise a mother could love.

Everyone here who is invested in these worlds are in one way or another a grand part of the project as well. Can't have a Church of The Queen Mother without some parishioners, as they say. And once again, I can't thank everyone who contributes here and elsewhere enough. The love displayed for these worlds is chaos sometimes, but in the end, it's a beautiful chaos.

ExpressElevatorToHell

Hi, my name is Jason. I've joined AVP galaxy as alien and predator are my 2 favourite movie franchises. I grew up watching the original predator at a very young age as it's my dads favourite movie, and was mine for a long time. My dad also has a predator back piece tattoo which I can show to anyone who is interested. As I reached my teens I had watched all predators at the time and both AVP movies and loved the predator. I watched alien when I was 14 with my dad and was blown away. I then watched aliens and was also blown away. I then watched alien 3 assembly later on and found it to be decent, not as good as the first 2. It wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd viewing of alien 3 assembly I started to like and appreciate it. I watched alien resurrection and disliked it. It wasn't until I watched the first 3 alien films on the same night that I fell in love with the franchise. Alien and aliens overtook predator, the xenomorph overtook the yautaja and ripley overtook Dutch. I joined this to talk and share my passion for these movies as they mean a lot to me. They motivate we for my everyday goals which strength/ muscle gain, learn the guitar and harmonica, start cold showers and generally improve myself as Ripley/Sigourney weaver and Dutch/Arnold are the 2 characters/celebrities I look up to.So thats how I ended up joining and what my goals are.

Also I've tried to put on a avatar but I wouldn't work, if anyone could explain why it would be appreciated.

Corporal Hicks

Welcome to both Kase and ExpressElevator! It's always a pleasure to see more enthuasts (as Xenomorphine prefers) join up! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work, Kase. Express, it looks like you've already got an avatar? Or did you want a different one?

ExpressElevatorToHell

Thanks for asking. I put in the url of a image I wanted to use as a avatar but I didn't work. How did you get that image as your avatar Hicks?

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: ExpressElevatorToHell on Aug 29, 2019, 01:59:35 PM
Thanks for asking. I put in the url of a image I wanted to use as a avatar but I didn't work. How did you get that image as your avatar Hicks?

If you upload your image to Imgur (or Hicks does for you), it should work.

Corporal Hicks

What's the URL of the image you're trying to use?

SpaceKase

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 29, 2019, 08:08:35 AM
Welcome to both Kase and ExpressElevator! It's always a pleasure to see more enthuasts (as Xenomorphine prefers) join up! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work, Kase. Express, it looks like you've already got an avatar? Or did you want a different one?

Awww, thanks, man. I love what you guys do and I'd love to be a part of it in any geeky way I can. The madness knows no bounds, well, except for my bank account, I've got a few crucial pieces missing from my research pool, namely the Weyland Yutani Report and those 4 flipping Dark Horse Predator Novels, let's see if the AvP anniversary or Hunting Ground's release will finally spur on the powers that be to finally publish that last predator complete ominous. Just 4 awesome to not so hot stories to go Titan! I need to reads me some South China Sea and Turnabout!

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SpaceKase on Aug 28, 2019, 04:56:27 AM
Hey Chicks & Dicks (& other Non-Binary intelligences),

My name is Kase and up until now I've been a creepy lurker around these parts. I've got this ambitious project I've been working on, 'cause I'm an aspie nutter. It's rad to meet you all. I pretty much love all aspects of the franchises. Though I'm not a gamer of any sort for reasons of personal sanity (hyperfocus can be a real pretty bitch, y'all), I enjoy the cinematic quality of the art design and story building that goes along with them and thus I'm not overly bothered by any game mechanics, janky or otherwise, because I'm just going to catch the playthroughs on the 'tubes anyhow.  That being said, I'm not all Sister Mary Sunshine and if you catch me on the right night I can gripe sesh with the best of 'em. (I'm looking at your sorry waste-of-time ass, 'Unreliable Narrator' trope, you know what you did.) Also, because of the Emergence based nature of my project, I'm less interested in seemingly contradictory story elements than I am in deducing rational ways that those seeming contradictions could be rectified. What's Emergence? Well, I'm glad you may or may not have asked...

Emergence as a concept is nature's real world knack for giving rise to patterns of exquisite order out of the humble origins of mindless chaos. It's the collectively defined layout of cities and their convergences and divergences of culture. It's the phenomena of light and color as we perceive it based upon nothing more than the patterns of molecules on the surfaces of different substances around us and how their rough little nanoscopic landscapes either absorb or reflect massless little eddies in spacetime. It's how ants form complex megastructure hives from nothing more than the end result of myriad individual little oblivious drones ambling haplessly about through their days, unaware that creatures magnitudes above their scale of lifespan or dimension sometimes stop to ponder them.

Myths and franchises alike rise out of weird human fascinations and collective creations, whether they be Olympian gods or bat men, or biomechanical nightmares. Rhapsodic claptrap aside, I'm fascinated by maps of the unknown and the vast hive of collective creation that can arise when our imaginations reach out and plumb the darkness just past the edges of our respective perception.

So, to that end, I started with a map, the idea of one anyway, a Star Trek map, A 3D Star trek map, as accurate and beautiful as possible, attempting to go one small step further than the monumental efforts of Geoff Mandel and other passionate nerds from otherwheres and otherwhens. From the collective data he and his cohorts mapped out in Star Charts back in 2002, drawing upon the then 35 years of Trek stories and a slightly more accurate star map then they had the last time they tried back in '79.

Yeah... not pretty yet, but these are snaps of an old work in progress.

But, lets face it, with a dataset of over 700 individual stories nowadays, well it's gonna take a little longer than I've got on hand at the moment, so I've decided to back up a little and turn once again towards another love of mine; the collective universe of Aliens and Predator.

The contributions to organizational data structures that have been made by the likes of SM, Aaron Percival and Crew, the Xenopedia hive, 'Mother' Clara down in the antipodes, the cats behind Alien Theory, and so many more, can't be applauded enough. My hope is that the work I'm putting into this practice in fresh kinds of madness will be greeted with the love that's wholly intended. And hey, I've only got a little over 200 points in the dataset, not counting adaptation iterations! Soooo, easy peasy, facey squeezie.

I'm not sure what precise form the final map will take, but I'm taking great pains to incorporate all the hard work put in by others along similar lines, I'm throwing everything down on the canvas and seeing what grand picture arises, will it resemble Middle Earth? Westeros? The Nine Circles of Dante's Infernal Hell? The Other Dimensional realms of ancient Elder Gods way above either your or my pay grade? Shit, I've got a nice pretty nice wealth of data from ESA Gaia to start with, so let's hit it.

The goal of my project is not to compartmentalize individual canons, but to add it all together and see what patterns of rationale or consensus arise. A bit of carbon here, a bit of silicon there, a smattering of science, some deduction, a teensy bit of sadism, some corporate intrigue and a plethora of viscera.

Well hey, that sounds like a franchise a mother could love.

Everyone here who is invested in these worlds are in one way or another a grand part of the project as well. Can't have a Church of The Queen Mother without some parishioners, as they say. And once again, I can't thank everyone who contributes here and elsewhere enough. The love displayed for these worlds is chaos sometimes, but in the end, it's a beautiful chaos.

I can dig it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed