74 (18.3%)
Love them both
5 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 398

Author
AvPR vs A:R (Read 142,795 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I hated the humor in ARes, but all the way up to the Ripley 1-7 scene I think it is actually pretty solid film.

AvPR was bad.  I've had the movie for years and have only been able to force myself to watch it through twice. 

RexXeno

RexXeno

I can't stand resurrection, at least with AvPR I can get through the movie (though it is still hard without hating yourself afterwards)

The Old One

The Old One

A:R

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Resurrection.

I did not like the overall direction it took.It had a lot of silly and wacky moments, which felt like they don't belong in an Alien movie.
But all in all it was well crafted and competently directed, it had some characters i liked, the acting was good for the most part, it had some nice memorable scenes and an disctinct look.

AVP Requiem had none of  these things.

TurokSwe

TurokSwe

Option #4: I love them both!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Added, just for you.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Oh man, Alien: Resurrection any day of the week.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Scary that AvPR got so many votes :o

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

AvPR over Ressurection! Without hesitation!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 03, 2019, 04:27:27 AMScary that AvPR got so many votes :o

I know, right?

Resurrection may not be a very good entry in the Alien series, but it's a least a competent, well-made and even entertaining movie in its own right.

Requiem's not even good if you try and ignore the franchise it is a part of.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 03, 2019, 08:51:57 AM
Resurrection may not be a very good entry in the Alien series, but it's a least a competent, well-made and even entertaining movie in its own right.

I must have seen a different Alien Resurrection.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 03, 2019, 02:53:27 PM

You have to be in a certain mood to watch A:R and not feel bad about yourself. You have to feel detached and not feel like taking things seriously.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Resurrection isn't a great movie, but it is conceptually interesting, well-made (Junet puts interesting ideas on screen and Sigourney kills it in her new role, despite the shoddy Joss Whedon script that they are bound to), and it takes the franchise in new directions that are thematically relevant even if the tone isn't quite right. Resurrection can be looked at as part of the Alien Anthology or as part of Junet's filmography and there are some interesting gems in the film to find while viewing through either lens, despite the the film's problems.

AVPR is Suicide Squad level drek. It doesn't even feel like a movie; just a bunch of lousy, half-assed concepts slapped together by guys who had no idea what they were doing and shipped off to the theater. The only "good" thing that I can say about AVPR is that, from what little I remember, the Strause Brothers' second film somehow managed to be even worse.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 03, 2019, 03:04:30 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 03, 2019, 02:53:27 PM

You have to be in a certain mood to watch A:R and not feel bad about yourself. You have to feel detached and not feel like taking things seriously.

Even if I watch it as a parody, which it is imo, it's brutal to watch, and I wonder why Sigourney agreed to this. I know they offered her a big paycheck, could that have been her motivation?  At least the parody on the otherside "The Predator" is taking the subject matter less seriously with levity and trying to make the audience laugh constantly - which is successful sometimes.

Nah, the Newborn and I agree, we'll take the blu-ray directors edition of AVPR over both of them any day.  (The I-can't-see-sh*t dvd or digital stream of AVPR, no way. But the blu director's cut, absolutely.)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 03, 2019, 03:14:04 PM
I know they offered her a big paycheck, could that have been her motivation?

Yes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed