Love them both
5 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 398

Author
AvPR vs A:R (Read 142,820 times)

SM

SM

Beat me to it.

And I don't know how she qualifies as 'cliched sci-fi sexual female' either.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 02, 2008, 01:38:54 AM

It wasn't b/c of the cloning. It was b/c the film transformed her from a badass soldier woman into a cliched sci-fi sexual female. Rememeber the scene where she, for all intents and purposes, starts rubbing herself against the floor and says "I can hear them..." then falls through the floor? I wanted to scream...

She was meant to be acting like the aliens. Note the aliens in the cage on the floor during "We're a fast learner" scene.... look familiar?

All of her quirky behavior is supposed to be the alien in her.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Granted, some of Ripley's mannerisms are weird, but her story arc is the most intriguing aspect of A:R. It may be the weakest of the Alien series, but at least it has subtext, a critically acclaimed director, and a great cast of characters.

darthSnipe

darthSnipe

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 02, 2008, 01:56:51 AM
Granted, some of Ripley's mannerisms are weird, but her story arc is the most intriguing aspect of A:R. It may be the weakest of the Alien series, but at least it has subtext, a critically acclaimed director, and a great cast of characters.

A great cast of characters? I hated Dan Hedaya as General Perez. He really didn't fit with the Alien-style of movies in any way...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 02, 2008, 01:50:54 AM
It wasn't b/c of the cloning. It was b/c the film transformed her from a badass soldier woman into a cliched sci-fi sexual female. Rememeber the scene where she, for all intents and purposes, starts rubbing herself against the floor and says "I can hear them..." then falls through the floor? I wanted to scream...

Ripley was never a badass soldier woman...which is a cliche itself.

How often back when Alien was popular did you see a woman fulfill a role normally given to men? That's my point A:R didn't incorporate that IMO.

Quote from: Eidotemit on May 02, 2008, 01:55:22 AM

She was meant to be acting like the aliens. Note the aliens in the cage on the floor during "We're a fast learner" scene.... look familiar?

All of her quirky behavior is supposed to be the alien in her.

Eh, that sounds rather weak to me. W/e the reason, it was still dumb.

SM

SM

QuoteThat's my point A:R didn't incorporate that IMO.

Nor should it have.  It wasn't part of Ripley's original character.  It was simply a single situation where she was forced to arm herself to the teeth in order to rescue someone.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Ripley8 is one of the more intriguing aspects to A:R, in my opinion.

I thought Siggy did a good job of playing a woman who remembers being Ripley, but knows that she isn't.

Problem is (as with a lot of Whedon's writing) that a lot of the better moments are drowned in stupid puns and one-liners, which defuse the mood.

A:R will always be, to me, a good film wrapped up loosely within a bad film.

darthSnipe

darthSnipe

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on May 02, 2008, 05:05:57 AM

I thought Siggy did a good job of playing a woman who remembers being Ripley, but knows that she isn't.

Problem is (as with a lot of Whedon's writing) that a lot of the better moments are drowned in stupid puns and one-liners, which defuse the mood.

Stupid puns wait..wha? When where? Give me a few examples because if you're complaining about stupid one-liners what about: "Game over man! GAME OVER!"-Aliens? One-liners and bad pun jokes are the foundation of the Alien franchise.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

How is "Game over" a one-liner?  It's just something Hudson says which the audience has come to embrace as funny.  But it is not a one-liner in and of itself, any more than something like "Yeah, Bishop should go!  Good idea, man!" is.

The A:R ones I'm referring to are those kind of winking lines like:

"Must be a chick thing."

or

"I thought you were dead." - "Yeah I get that a lot."  (The line itself isn't so bad, but it's a very "Hey, look at me writing da words for a movie!" moment.)

SM

SM

The "chick thing" got a huge roar and cheer in the cinema when I first saw it.  Kinda grates now though.

I still love the "Yeah I get that a lot" line even if it is perilously close to breaking the fourth wall.

I also love "do I have to draw you a schematic" and "I mainly just hurt people" lines.  Both one-liners I'd reckon - but I still dig on them.  :)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

^I don't mind either of those as they don't tread on any of the 'deeper' elements of the script.  I mainly just had a problem with the ones that did that.

I also liked Johner's, "I can get you off.   ...Maybe not the boat..."

SM

SM

Yeah, but that one owes everything to Perlman's delivery.  That could been excrutiatingly bad, but the barely muttered second sentence, with Call cutting in makes it work.  If it'd been left to hang it'd be shit.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: darthSnipe on May 02, 2008, 05:21:49 AM
Quote from: Uncanny Antman on May 02, 2008, 05:05:57 AM

Stupid puns wait..wha? When where? Give me a few examples because if you're complaining about stupid one-liners what about: "Game over man! GAME OVER!"-Aliens? One-liners and bad pun jokes are the foundation of the Alien franchise.

Seen Predator much?

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

QuoteOne-liners and bad pun jokes are the foundation of the Alien franchise.

Wat.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on May 02, 2008, 05:20:05 PM
QuoteOne-liners and bad pun jokes are the foundation of the Alien franchise.

Wat.

Yeah, don't you remember all those hilarious jokes Ash made?  Or was it Lambert?  I forget now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed