Budgets and old fashioned scrap!

Started by Highland, May 15, 2007, 01:04:05 PM

Author
Budgets and old fashioned scrap! (Read 7,803 times)

Highland

Highland

I didn't think it would be long before the 2 of you started the onlslaught of my opinion, I could have written the script.. ;)

My apologies for the Betty, that was an error on my part. (its nice to be nice, try it?!) 

I'll twidle off now with my 2 star chestburster status, I think a may add some swear words and puff my chest out next time, that may earn me an extra star...

All points taken and respected. But I will say one thing....... 

If CGI and people these days have the craft of people 20 years ago, How come I just went to the movies to see the most expenive movie ever made, fully complete with CGI bells and whistles and was'nt impressed.

My ultimate point of my post could be put like this....

I believe the queen, I think she is real, I think they've somehow shipped her from another planet and put her on a movie set. 

I dont't believe spiderman, I don't believe Venom, I can't see that he is actually a man swinging from building to building, all I see is a video game. 

I'm all for CGI tails and Mouth shots, but i'll take the man in the suit anyday.

Highland

Highland

PS, I have great respect for CGI artists and CGI shots, my attack is'nt on the use of CGI just the overuse if you like!! I love CGI touches on movies.

Uncanny Antman

I think the main problem here is, you're complaining about bad CG being everywhere...but a lot of the good CG you never even notice.  That's the nature of the beast when it comes to FX work.  People don't notice you've done anything when you do it right.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the CG tails in AvP were better than the real ones.  They both were very average for different reasons.

SM

SM

My, there's a back pedal and a half.

QuoteI didn't think it would be long before the 2 of you started the onlslaught of my opinion, I could have written the script..

Cry me a river.  Don't post rubbish and expect everyone to blindly swallow it.

QuoteIf CGI and people these days have the craft of people 20 years ago, How come I just went to the movies to see the most expenive movie ever made, fully complete with CGI bells and whistles and was'nt impressed.

Maybe it's not a very good movie in general.  I thought the effects on the first Spiderman sucked.  Alfred Molina on the second one looked pretty good, but Spiderman didn't look real at all.   Star Wars or Lord of the Rings on the other hand - chock a block full of CGI and for the most part, it's top notch.

By the same token go back 20 years to when everyone was so much more skilled (apparently) and look for a film with shoddy special effects.  They're not hard to find.

Highland

Highland

ha ha, you gota love these guys, hey where are you from SM?

Like I said, i'm not attacking CGI, CGI was just an example of where the money goes on films these days, and why it need'nt be so. Like I said, you could make future Settings for an AVP2 movie and not back down into a corner and make it set on Earth, just because of budget constraints. (Alien 3 and the wooden planet, would'nt that have been something?)

My post was to compare the pennies spent on a movie like Aliens and the trillions spent on spiderman 3, and the Pay off that each deliver. Nothing to do with weather the Movie is bad or good, I was talking purley visual.

SM

SM

Spiderman 3 is raking it in and getting decent reviews so it must be doing something right.  Personally Spiderman is take it or leave it...

Highland

Highland

missed my point again  ;D (see purley visual above ;))

All i'm trying to say is AVP2 in my opinion could be done for 50 million (or whatever the first AVP  cost) in the future, using older techniques, Ie ....Matt painting, built sets and models and look just as good as somthing that cost 250 million? perhaps more (spidey 3 )

Yay or Nay?

I'm assuming the AVP2 Earth setting is for budget constraints, but perhaps they just have this amazingly kick ass story that takes place on earth....?

SiL

SiL

AvP used all those techniques.

Say what you will about the movie, but it certainly looked like it had more than 40mill under the engine.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Quote from: highlandpred on May 16, 2007, 09:41:31 AM
Nice answer SM, the kind we've come to expect from you. Everyone else got my point, but clearly not you, but I'll not be dragged into some dog fight on a forum were fans express there joy of the series and what is to come.

Sure the Skill is around, they just don't use it in the right way.

To me its more skillfull to learn how to make your vision with Scrap metal , than to sit and a desk with the latest Dell.

I could do that, you could do that, we all have images in our head that we can share.

The real trick is making it work without people noticing.

Example.......Drop Ship = real
                  APC         = real
                  the Betty  = Fake CGI

Which Aliens looked better? A1 A2 or A3 AR? just because somthing is more advanced, does'nt make it better.

I know what you mean, you really didn't have to keep going from there. It's pretty simple what you said.

But you also have to understand that sometimes you have two minds that need to come together in order to be heard, because their voices don't seem to carry beyond the first row of seats alone, nor do they ever get their foot in the door in the one thing they wish they could have done.

In other words, number 227.5 please step forward..........Hmmm stop! Next please. Get it? :D

SiL

SiL

QuoteGet it?
I can never understand a damned word you ever say.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Ohhh don't be SilLLy.

SiL

SiL

I'm not. Your attempt at communication in the last sentence of your post made no sense.

SM

SM

Nevermind the last sentence.  If the first one was coherent we might have some idea what he was talking about.

QuoteYay or Nay?

How can anyone answer that in this case?

Besides in a lot of cases CGI would be cheaper.  The infrastructure is already in place.  All you need is time and skill.  With practical models you need time, skill, materials and film.  With CGI you can play a shot over and over until you get it right without wasting any celluloid on bad takes.

And it's 'matte' with an 'e'.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2007, 01:07:30 AM
And it's 'matte' with an 'e'.
Yeah, I thought he might have gotten that with my stupid joke earlier on...I guess not.

SM

SM

Don't worry I did.  If we had karma points...  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed