Canon!

Started by Noir-Gojira, May 11, 2007, 05:00:38 PM

Author
Canon! (Read 5,041 times)

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

Why do I feel as if I've opened a can of worms xp?  Who exactly who or what decides what is canon and non-canon in these stories anyway?  Example, if it were up to me, I would consider Alien 3 and Resurrection non-canon out of affection for Hicks and Newt but that would be more personal preference, but there IS a difference between preference and canon, isn't there?

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

Yes.
Canon is whatever hits the big screen. Anything that doesn't... even the director's cut.. isn't.

I wish Alien4 never happened, but Alien3 is pretty bad-ass.

slipknotpredator

slipknotpredator

i agree only the fox movies are canonn not comics, not toys and not super extended unrated more intense, more blood, more violence directors cut  :D

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

So despite what numerous people have said then, AVP is in fact, cannon, yes?  And that aside, what if Fox were to hypothetically make a movie that disregarded previous entries, thereby establishing alternate continuity?

slipknotpredator

slipknotpredator

i would say it´s canon...like it or not, we just can say it´s not canon because we didn´t like it... :-\

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

So if they used an idea from a comic into the bigscreen it would be considered canon?

I'm guessing they probably will, since they already used the Pred-Alien.

slipknotpredator

slipknotpredator

i guess so..

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

Yup. I guess so too.

Like it or not.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

Quote from: Noir-Gojira on May 11, 2007, 05:00:38 PM
Why do I feel as if I've opened a can of worms xp?  Who exactly who or what decides what is canon and non-canon in these stories anyway?  Example, if it were up to me, I would consider Alien 3 and Resurrection non-canon out of affection for Hicks and Newt but that would be more personal preference, but there IS a difference between preference and canon, isn't there?
i have a question a stupid one but what dose "canon" mean?

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy

Jungle Hunter

Jungle Hunter

Quote from: FACEBOX on May 13, 2007, 01:01:31 AM
a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy
You dont no how long i have been wanting to no what that word meant but either and the comic idea its hard to tell with creators these days maybe based on it at the most.

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

;)

Extroheal

Extroheal

Yay, another canon thread!

Unfortunately there is no canon for the AvP universe because Fox has never had one. Aliens Special Edition was never shown in cinemas and yet everyone consider it canon. On the other hand, Alien The Director's Cut was shown in cinemas all over the world but we can't decide whether to consider it canon or not because of the infamous cocoon scene. It's fairly obvious that the novels and comics aren't canon since the novels frequently get contradicted and the comics have crossovers with superheroes so many times it's not funny. Most people consider the theatrical version of Alien 3 to be canon but a few consider the Special Edition to be canon because it's longer or because they think it's better. I have yet to read a good canon discussion about Alien Resurrection Special Edition. Most people consider AVP to be canon because despite its plot holes, there's nothing that actually contradicts anything from the Alien saga.

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

QuoteMost people consider AVP to be canon because despite its plot holes, there's nothing that actually contradicts anything from the Alien saga.

Tell that to the people arguing over Bishop II, lol.

Thank you for a very satisfying answer, Extroheal ^_^.  From what I can tell at this point, the word Canon is nearly meaningless then.  So many people seem to whip it out whenever it is convenient whether understand the concept or not.

Because of all the conflict that Canon's rigidity brings, why not we just throw it out the window?  In its place, we could use "alternate continuity."

SM

SM

There are some issues with AvP and continuity but can be shoehorned in if one is able to suspend one's disbelief to a certain extent.  Bishop/ Weyland is the main thing to raise problems.  Some are pretty minor though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed