So, can ALIENS be considered as the superior race?

Started by Clemsonkid21, May 02, 2007, 01:29:47 AM

Author
So, can ALIENS be considered as the superior race? (Read 21,838 times)

Kimarhi

This all depends on quality of workout.  You wore losing musclemass for many different reasons when you were wearing your bodyarmor, packing around weight in the sun.  That doesn't condone itself for bodybuilding.  Its asking for muscles to start being catobalized.

I'm sure if you've lifted weights your familiar with the equation.  Less equals more.  The less reps you do, the heavier your weight should be, so you actually make strength gains.  On the flip side, the opposite is true.  The less weight you use, the more reps you need in your set.  You can get the same workout depending on how far your willing to go repetition wise.  Most people are in favor of using sets of 8-12, because they don't want to do 135 30 times, to get the same exercise you could do lifting 315 once.  But the person that DOES the 30 reps is going to be just as buff as the guy who maxed out at 315.

This is all relevant because we define a repetition by the contraction of muscle in an exercise.  In martial arts, there are strengthing exercises with heavier weapons that you do every chance you get that target various parts of the body.  Indeed, weightlifter such as you and I often use this as a method to guess or one rep max.  Its one of the reasons Bruce Lee was incredibly strong for a man his size, despite hardly ever touching free weights.  Aside from the heat sweating out your water weight and preying on your muscles, I also imagine that body armor doesn't allow for the range of movement that martial arts practicing does.  Of course, this is all assuming they HAVE martial arts.

They could just come from a planet with a heaver gravity, and be ripped that way.  It would also explain their toughness.  No use packing all that raw muscle on a frame that would be crippled if it fell over.  Give it heavy bone structure as well.

Alot of people use calisthenics to get in shape for their other exercises.  When I was obssessed with my bench, I found that doing three sets of 35 or so pushups really prepared my muscles for the benchpress.  Probably because pushups are more aerobic than benchpresses are, and thus my muscles had more endurance. 

A guy swinging around a heavy quarterstaff or a broadsword is going to be strengthing his body.  Whether he gets as strong as the weightlifter depends on how long he's willing to do only that exercise. 

SM

QuoteThey could just come from a planet with a heaver gravity

I always assumed they did because they seem to float at times when they jump.  But then I'm not all sciencey enough to figure out exactly how that works.

SiL

Put it like this; a kid could pretty much beat the world high jump record on the moon.

His body is accustomed to the weight of our gravity. Put him in a place with less gravitational force, and the energy he natural spends doing things goes a lot further because there's less resistance than it's used to.

SM

That's pretty much what I thought.  Wasn't quite sure though.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2007, 01:41:10 AM
Put it like this; a kid could pretty much beat the world high jump record on the moon.

His body is accustomed to the weight of our gravity. Put him in a place with less gravitational force, and the energy he natural spends doing things goes a lot further because there's less resistance than it's used to.

If we came from Jupiter.  We'd be studs.

SM

Speak for yourself Kimba.

Some of us don't need to come from Jupiter...

Kimarhi

Meathead320

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 08, 2007, 12:50:39 AM

A guy swinging around a heavy quarterstaff or a broadsword is going to be strengthing his body.  Whether he gets as strong as the weightlifter depends on how long he's willing to do only that exercise. 

I will agree with a lot of what you said, BUT, adding weight increments in necessary for increasing strength.

You can get stronger by doing anything that requires the use of muscles, but swining around a broadsword all day will not enable you to Deadlift 500 pounds.

The rep range of 12 I preffer, sometimes 15, but I wold not get any stronger max by doing more reps than that.

Once I can hit a weight for 15 reps, and 3 sets of that, I NEED to increase the resistance to grow.

Different fibers are worked for endurance than pure tensile capacity.

For example you could have two guys (twins) with the exact same genetics. Both eat and sleep the same amounts.

One guy increases his weights by 0.5 pounds every time he can do 15 reps with a new weight.

The other guy does more reps.

The guy adding the weight will be significantly larger, and have a greater total tensile strength, while the second guy will have a greater endurance for a given weight.

Say the exercise is the Deadlift. Ok, both start at 225 pounds. The guy what is adding weight will eventually hit 500 pounds (with good genetics and diet), the guy doing more reps will not be able to do 500 pounds when he attempts it, regardless of how many reps is done with 225. The opposite is also true. The guy who can do 500 for only 12 reps, will not be able to do 225 for 40 reps.

It is all what you train for. The only way to get bigger is to add resistance. Regardless of the rep range.

Kimarhi

Why use the 225 benchpress to measure strength in the nfl draft then?  Why not have everybody just max out at whatever they can bench?

Meathead320

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 08, 2007, 10:10:35 PM
Why use the 225 benchpress to measure strength in the nfl draft then?  Why not have everybody just max out at whatever they can bench?

Because they are not looking for absolute tensile strength. They are looking for a good measure of strength WITH endurance. More important for an athletic event like football.

I am not about to mess with a guy who can do 225  for 30 reps.

Fact is many of those guys can do a LOT of reps with 225, but cannot do 500 once. The opposite of some Powerlifters who can do 500 for 1 reps shirtless, cannot do 225 30 times.

I will say that the guy who can do 225 for a lot of Reps will still have some big pecs, so that training philosophy does work to get in shape, that is no joke.  It is just that the upper limit of strength and muscularity will not be quite as thick compared to the guy who can do the 500 once.

The supporting structure for repetitive lifting does not need to be as thick as that for supporting a heavier weight load.

In other words, to get better at lifting a certain mount of weight for a given number of reps, you add more reps with small increments.

If you want to lift heavier weight, regardless of the rep range (you can get huge on 15 rep sets) you still need to add weight in small increments.

So how does this relate to how a Pred would train? Assuming they need to, would be for a combo of strength and endurance. Not unlike the NFL with a combination of a good amount of weight with a lot of reps.

The ones in AVP were training wrong for their activity. They were uber massive. Obviously using the  powerlifting training method. Ignorance of youth. They should have been training like the ones P1 and P2.  ;D

Kimarhi

Thats cool man.  I lift weights, not religiously or anything, but apparantly I was misguided.  I believed that the 185 (for nba) and 225 benchpress test were strength test.  But it makes sense that those test would test physical endurance more than strength.  Since contact in both sport is not constant, but you need to push off other physical players constantly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed