Post Your Collection

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Dec 11, 2006, 04:44:31 PM

Author
Post Your Collection (Read 862,587 times)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 22, 2015, 10:47:46 PM
Oh yeah, for sure. 

On, the other hand, are you really any better not knowing what's in the box?  Here's a little story for you that illustrates the quandry here.

I have a Gentle Giant Glow in the dark alien; but the one I have now isn't the same one that was initially delivered.  When the first one arrived, I opened the box.   My intention was to display the item, with the box next to it.  They look super cool side by side.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT!

Indeed, they do but there was one small issue with the figure that did upset me.   Upon closer inspection of the figure, I'd found that the upper half of the tongue was missing.   

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

Now, these figures aren't cheap and this one was posted to me from California to Australia.  For me to accept this condition was not an option so I decided to return it.  I had to contact the vendor who was very accommodating and understood my predicament and he arranged to send me a replacement.  I requested specifically that he open and inspect the item* before sending it.  The replacement figure did arrive and the figure this time was perfect. 

Should I have not opened the original box and remained oblivious to the damaged figure inside?  If I wanted to keep it in mint condition, maybe; but if it's broken regardless of me being aware of it, then it's not mint, is it?  You could, of course, rightfully say the box was still mint if it hadn't been opened and the contents is presumed to be mint as well.   I totally understand how boxes themselves can be more valuable than the contents.   That still doesn't address the notion that I bought the item for the figure and the box is a secondary asset. 

What if that figure had gone to someone who never opened it?  I guess it would it still be valued as mint condition.  No one would be the wiser.  Despite being broken, could it be considered as a variant because that's how it left the manufacturer?  Maybe it's one of a kind.  Unique.  Maybe it should be considered more valuable because the damage was present.  It does happen on rare occasions where a faulty figure is considered more valuable than others of the same production run. 

But here's the real question.  What if that broken figure was one of several with the same defect?  It could could easily be the case.  What if there's any number (out of a production run of 250) of these 24" Kenner replicas out there in the World with such damage but no one ever finds out?  Maybe it's a common issue with these figures.  Hell, the tongues are known to fall out of the original 1979 Kenner action figure with ease and Gentle Giant did manage to make a near perfect replica in an up scaled version. 

Maybe that's their claim to fame. 

Can you imagine how well their promotional material would work, though, if that was the case: 'Our figures are accurate in every aspect to the old Kenner toy.  Including the random possibility they may have parts missing.  Exactly like the original figure they're based on.'   Ummmm...  no.

That's not to say that GG make bad stuff.  I'll not support that claim.  As far as I am concerned, these oversized figures are the bomb!  Sometimes shit happens and Quality Assurance department don't notice.  It happens all the time. 

Anyway, the replacement arrived. The extra postage paid for returning a 2' tall box was a pain in the ass but it's perfect.  Great service and from all concerned.  This is a vendor I'll be ordering from again if I need to.  No hesitation about that.

Bottom line:  I'm Glad I opened the box.

-Windebieste.

*If you plan to open the packaging and display the contents you can ask the vendor to inspect it first before you purchase it.  You can do this whether you're buying online or in store.   Most vendors will be happy to oblige if accommodating the request seals the deal and you buy the item.  After all, you're going to open the packaging anyway, right?   May as well get an inspection done before you even hand over any cash for the item.
If your intention is to open the box and display the figure,then having it inspected by the vendor first is wise.Today,if there was a product defect which affected a certain figure,you would soon find out through forums or unboxing videos on YouTube.

GG have had issues with their range of vintage STAR WARS figures-scale,paint apps and skinny Hoth Wampas.As well as being overpriced imo.

windebieste

windebieste

...and now we interrupt our regularly scheduled afternoon programming to bring you an announcement from the

Department of Weird Stuff from Japan

Well, I don't know if such an organisation actually exists; but maybe it should.  I was too curious about that other mysterious Japanese version of the 1979 MPC 'ALIEN' kit so I thought I'd follow it up further and see if I could actually track one down.  As Luck would have it, I chanced upon one pretty quickly; and at an affordable price, too.  It had been previously opened but was complete - which suited my purposes perfectly.  So I bought it. 

As you can see, the box is substantially larger than the US pressing of the kit.  The next surprise is the part numbers are exactly the same, 1-1961 and is clearly displayed on both items.  That was just the beginning of the unexpected weirdness to follow.  This surprising up-scaling of the box might suggest a similar treatment of the kit inside but you would be incorrect in expecting a larger version of the familiar MPC kit to be found within.  Being distributed in Japan, this particular item has yet more surprises tucked away inside: 

The Japanese version on the left, the US pressing on the right. 

You'd expect a single large scale repressing of the familiar MPC kit inside but when opened, the contents reveal something very different.  Inside the box, there are 2 plastic bags.  That's 2 kits.  2 Exactly the same kits at exactly the same scale and pressings of the ones found in other MPC 'ALIEN' boxes from other parts of the World:

Sorry about the heavy reflections, but there are definitely duplicated contents in both packages found inside the box.

Underneath the cardboard insert that separates both kits a number of documents can be found, including 2 sets of assembly instructions for the kit(s).  One is in English and the other is in Japanese.  There's a couple of other documents present that are printed in Japanese inside the box and these appear to be product catalogs.  Here's the construction docs:

The English instruction sheet is on the left and Japanese is on the right.  These should look familiar to you.

Here's a close up of the front page of the Japanese instruction sheet:

A close up of the sheet written in Japanese.  No, I can't read it.  But I can read that the kit was published in 1979 at the bottom of the page.

So yes, it's a Japanese distributed item, possibly printed and manufactured in Japan but definitely using all the kit parts and box art familiar with the US pressing.   You can definitely add this curious item to your list.  Maybe it's something that Japanese kit distributors did regularly, publish dual copies of exactly the same kit in a single package.  This was certainly new to me. 

Then again, it's from Japan and things  can sometimes be kinda done a little differently over there.

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 30, 2015, 04:23:39 AM
...and now we interrupt our regularly scheduled afternoon programming to bring you an announcement from the

Department of Weird Stuff from Japan

Well, I don't know if such an organisation actually exists; but maybe it should.  I was too curious about that other mysterious Japanese version of the 1979 MPC 'ALIEN' kit so I thought I'd follow it up further and see if I could actually track one down.  As Luck would have it, I chanced upon one pretty quickly; and at an affordable price, too.  It had been previously opened but was complete - which suited my purposes perfectly.  So I bought it. 

As you can see, the box is substantially larger than the US pressing of the kit.  The next surprise is the part numbers are exactly the same, 1-1961 and is clearly displayed on both items.  That was just the beginning of the unexpected weirdness to follow.  This surprising up-scaling of the box might suggest a similar treatment of the kit inside but you would be incorrect in expecting a larger version of the familiar MPC kit to be found within.  Being distributed in Japan, this particular item has yet more surprises tucked away inside: 

The Japanese version on the left, the US pressing on the right. 

You'd expect a single large scale repressing of the familiar MPC kit inside but when opened, the contents reveal something very different.  Inside the box, there are 2 plastic bags.  That's 2 kits.  2 Exactly the same kits at exactly the same scale and pressings of the ones found in other MPC 'ALIEN' boxes from other parts of the World:

Sorry about the heavy reflections, but there are definitely duplicated contents in both packages found inside the box.

Underneath the cardboard insert that separates both kits a number of documents can be found, including 2 sets of assembly instructions for the kit(s).  One is in English and the other is in Japanese.  There's a couple of other documents present that are printed in Japanese inside the box and these appear to be product catalogs.  Here's the construction docs:

The English instruction sheet is on the left and Japanese is on the right.  These should look familiar to you.

Here's a close up of the front page of the Japanese instruction sheet:

A close up of the sheet written in Japanese.  No, I can't read it.  But I can read that the kit was published in 1979 at the bottom of the page.

So yes, it's a Japanese distributed item, possibly printed and manufactured in Japan but definitely using all the kit parts and box art familiar with the US pressing.   You can definitely add this curious item to your list.  Maybe it's something that Japanese kit distributors did regularly, publish dual copies of exactly the same kit in a single package.  This was certainly new to me. 

Then again, it's from Japan and things  can sometimes be kinda done a little differently over there.

-Windebieste.
An unexpected surprise to be sure.If by chance you should come across a mint condition factory sealed specimen,don't hesitate to acquire it!

Thanks for the info and images.

I just realised;there's a clue printed on the box.It still states "OVER 9 INCHES TALL".

windebieste

windebieste

haha... yeah.  It does have 'OVER 9 INCHES TALL' written on it.  Mind you, with a box that size, you would expect that to be the case.  The box is over a foot in length. 

A more more accurate declaration would have been "OVER 9 INCHES TALL x2".

The box is 16"L x 9.5"W x 2.5"D.  As far as its depth is concerned, it's actually shallower than the original MPC box.  Anyway, it's an odd item, that's for sure.   

All the images on the sides of the Japanese box are exactly the same depictions and have the same location and orientations as those appearing on the MPC version. The one big difference is there are more empty white spaces between the images to spread them out along the longer and narrower surfaces of the unevenly scaled sides of the box.

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 30, 2015, 10:42:17 PM
haha... yeah.  It does have 'OVER 9 INCHES TALL' written on it.  Mind you, with a box that size, you would expect that to be the case.  The box is over a foot in length. 

A more more accurate declaration would have been "OVER 9 INCHES TALL x2".

The box is 16"L x 9.5"W x 2.5"D.  As far as its depth is concerned, it's actually shallower than the original MPC box.  Anyway, it's an odd item, that's for sure.   

All the images on the sides of the Japanese box are exactly the same depictions and have the same location and orientations as those appearing on the MPC version. The one big difference is there are more empty white spaces between the images to spread them out along the longer and narrower surfaces of the unevenly scaled sides of the box.

-Windebieste.
The box looks better in a larger scale;the artwork can be appreciated more.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 22, 2015, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: windebieste on Oct 21, 2015, 01:13:37 AM
It can also be difficult to determine the condition of a figure if it is completely enclosed in a box.  Clamshell packaging on a card is one thing... you can easily see if the figure is complete and undamaged.  Other boxed figures, well, if you're a serious collector and have no intention of opening the packaging and finding out, then you just have to have good faith that the contents are complete as the manufacturer intended. 
-Windebieste.
Buyer beware.Being a collector,who prefers to have the piece in mint condition,the packaging is just as-if not more important than the figure within.For this reason alone i won't order a piece online,as there is a chance of damage in transit.Yes,there is always a possibility the figure inside could be flawed or damaged in someway,but if completely sealed inside the box and unseen,then its a case of 'what you don't know won't hurt you'.
That is a very good point. I usually don't mind ordering online since it provides flexibility and availability that I can't find in stores near myself. However, what I will do for figures I want to open, I'll try to get two so I can keep one in the box.

I did have the misfortune of ordering NECA Alien Series 3 from BBTS and all they had were subgraded options for Kane. Both boxes were literally cracked and missing plastic so I opened the most destroyed box and saved the other. If I come across a better condition MIB I will consider it.   

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Oct 31, 2015, 12:30:40 AM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 22, 2015, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: windebieste on Oct 21, 2015, 01:13:37 AM
It can also be difficult to determine the condition of a figure if it is completely enclosed in a box.  Clamshell packaging on a card is one thing... you can easily see if the figure is complete and undamaged.  Other boxed figures, well, if you're a serious collector and have no intention of opening the packaging and finding out, then you just have to have good faith that the contents are complete as the manufacturer intended. 
-Windebieste.
Buyer beware.Being a collector,who prefers to have the piece in mint condition,the packaging is just as-if not more important than the figure within.For this reason alone i won't order a piece online,as there is a chance of damage in transit.Yes,there is always a possibility the figure inside could be flawed or damaged in someway,but if completely sealed inside the box and unseen,then its a case of 'what you don't know won't hurt you'.
That is a very good point. I usually don't mind ordering online since it provides flexibility and availability that I can't find in stores near myself. However, what I will do for figures I want to open, I'll try to get two so I can keep one in the box.

I did have the misfortune of ordering NECA Alien Series 3 from BBTS and all they had were subgraded options for Kane. Both boxes were literally cracked and missing plastic so I opened the most destroyed box and saved the other. If I come across a better condition MIB I will consider it.
If i can afford it,i'll always get two.Still waiting for the new NECA Big Chap.I'll wait for the inevitable unboxing video on You Tube before i commit.I want to see just how improved this new sculpt is,i'm worried the new translucent lips and tendons may discolour and turn yellow with age.

12noobs

12noobs

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 04, 2015, 04:13:25 AM
Oh, yeah.  Meant to add this. 

-Windebieste.

Just thought I'd chime in as a new member and thank Windebieste for his posts in this thread regarding the GG 24" Alien. I've seen very little comprehensive material about this figure (perhaps because of the price point and perceived value overall, and thus limited sales), but I've always been interested in it because I never owned an original Kenner 1979. Windebieste's great photos (such as the above) really swayed me, and I went looking for the GG 24".

Luckily, Australian toy store 'Popcultcha' was offering a 20% discount on all its stock over the Halloween weekend, and the listed $399 AUD price tag (which was a reduction from RRP $599 just a few weeks back) therefore dropped down further to $319 AUD. At that price, it was a relatively decent deal. Indeed, I assume there is still some figures in stock if people are interested (although the 20% discount ends at 9 am AEST, 2nd of November).   

http://www.popcultcha.com.au/alien-alien-retro-kenner-jumbo-24-action-figure.html#.VjV8K7crKUk

So, thanks for your posts Windebieste, which I've really enjoyed (pertaining to both the GG 24" figure and the original Kenner 1979).  :)

windebieste

windebieste

Hey, thanks.  Not a problem. 

That's a good deal.  Grab it while you can.  They won't last long at that price and GG only made 200 of the 24" replica. 

Aside from Popcultcha, I know Minotaur books had (at least) one of them, but it was still priced at $599 the last time I looked.  Global Gear also had stock as well at the same price.  Global Gear had a similar discount about a month ago so I picked mine up then.  They did have 9 additional Gentle Giant two foot figures as well but they have since all been sold. 

So yeah.  I'm looking at the local retailers thinking these items are overpriced and not selling so some substantial discounts are happening to move the stagnant stock off of their shelves. 

Now's the time to get one if you want to get one at a decent price.   They will only increase in value.  You should check the prices people are asking for these things on Ebay. 

-Windebieste.

12noobs

12noobs

Windebieste,

Can I ask where you found the information that GG only made 200 of the GG 24" (painted) replica? Was that actually advertised by them, or is it 'industry knowledge'? (I guess 200 at $500.00 RRP would still bring in $100,000, so...)

In my neck of the woods, the following appears to be the closest original Kenner 18" with box (with twisty ties, judging by one photo), although one wonders if it is indeed 'unopened' as the seller claims. No mention of the instructional sheet, which is something of a red flag. The price is exorbitant, even for an original Kenner Alien!  :-\

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/padbury/collectables/1979-kenner-alien-figure-unopened-very-rare/1079641765

windebieste

windebieste

Unfortunately, yes.  Boxes in pristine condition are very highly priced.  looking at this one, the box is in mighty good shape and that perspex case is a nice way to display the item. The box doesn't look like it's buckled, torn, water damaged or warped or otherwise spoiled in any way.  So it's a damned nice example of original packaging.   Mind you, there's no photo of the bottom of the box so that side could be in any shape.  It's not likely to be damaged but I'd ask first about the condition of the bottom before purchasing (this or any other box) just in case.  I've seen almost perfect boxes listed on Ebay with damage to the underside of them.  So disappointing. 

It's hard to see (by way of any reflections because the box is itself inside a reflective case) but it looks like both windows for the top and front of the box look like they could be present.  These things can fall out as the glue holding them in place does perish. Once again, I'd be asking the vendor regarding their presence on the box.

Judging by the unbroken appearance of the yellowed tape holding the top down, it looks like it's never been opened - so you wouldn't have to worry about any of the contents being tampered with.  The ties holding the arms in place will be original.  They will be of the ladder ratcheted variety that Kenner used to fasten the figure to the red corrugated insert and not twisted.  The instructions/poster will be inside as well and will be behind the red insert.  Along with the Kenner Products customer card which is frequently missing from opened boxes.  (Most people don't worry about these cards being present because they were included in many of Kenner's old products and are immediately interchangeable between product lines.)  All these features will be present in an unopened box.

The real value for this item comes from the pristine condition of the box.  It's in nice shape.  Sure.  It's too bad, then, that the figure itself is damaged.  The fact that the right arm has broken free is a serious problem and really should knock about a $1000 off the asking price.  Damage to the arms is very common but for one that has never been taken out of the box and used, this one is disappointing making the figure itself worth around $300 if it was being sold loose.  The fact it's inside an unopened box will help to retain a high value.  As the box has never been opened the damage can only be attributed to age rather than wear and tear from handling.  Nonetheless, a dismembered arm isn't the original condition the item was in when it left the manufacturer.  It's damaged condition means it cannot be considered to be in Mint condition. It cannot be considered flawless. 

Very, very valuable?  Yes.  An unopend pristine box is definitely almost worth this price.  Too bad, then, the figure itself is not perfect to match.  Damn.  Such a fault free and well kept box, too. As for the price itself?  That's standard for one of these boxes in such good condition. This one currently on Ebay is of comparable condition (except the bottom corner of the window is floating free from the box where the glue has failed) and the price is in the same ballpark, if you are talking AU$. 

Hope that helps.

In regards to the Gentle Giant replica run of 200.  Yes.  I'm almost 100% certain that's the official figure released by GG.  Almost.  Let's find out, shall we? 

-Windebieste.

12noobs

12noobs

Thanks for the terrifically detailed reply, Sir. I will most definitely tuck that information away for future reference (not that I'm likely to be dropping $3,000 on an original 18" Alien any time soon). :)

Yes, the GG 24" Glow-In-The-Dark Alien was limited to 250 pieces, with the silver and gold variants limited to 79 apiece (both made clear in the promotional materials). But I can't seem to find any official statement as to the production run numbers for the original 24" figure: GG's official product page deems the 'Edition Size' to be merely 'Limited Edition', with no number specified. And I can't seem to find any mention of the specific edition size anywhere online...

Any ideas?  ??? 

windebieste

windebieste

This has become an interesting task.  I've attempted to backtrack through my research on the Replica figure and failed to find out where I got the '200' quantity figure from.  I'm sure I had seen it somewhere.  Possibly in more than one location but like yourself, I noticed it was absent from the item's description on the GG web site.

So, I wrote to Gentle Giant customer service and recieved a reply.  Already.  Which is always a good sign when Customer Service responds within 24 hours.  So far so good.  But the information provided me with little insight as to how many of them were actually made.  I responded seeking clarification on the details. 

More details on this unfolding drama as I receive more info! 

At this point, that figure has become 'Schroedinger's 200'.   Neither live or dead, or in this case, verified nor denied.  We'll have to open the box and find out.   At risk of devaluing it.  lol.

-Windebieste.

12noobs

12noobs

:D

The mystery deepens! I'd be surprised if the edition size for the painted GG 24" Alien was less than 250. I'm going to suggest a rough estimate of 500, which seems logical given the respective edition sizes of the variants.

Here's a photo I had not seen before (although it may be well known here at AvP.net!): from Kenner Collector, it shows the original Kenner figure being packaged in Cincinnati.

windebieste

windebieste

Ya.  That's a cool photo.  I've come across it before.  I've tried contacting Kenner Collector in the past but got no response from them.  Oh well.   Happens.   Going to have to do so again at some point in the not too distant future, I think.

Anyway, as far as those Gentle Giant quantities are concerned, the Replica Edition is listed as out of stock on the GG site.  Each of the other items of the GitD, Gold and Silver Editions are each still available.  I'm guessing for the Replica Edition to be sold out it was produced in small quantities, similar to the GitD Edition; but certainly not as low as the Gold or Silver Editions. 

We'll see.  Hopefully I'll get another response from GG Customer Support with more info.  That is, if I don't get treated like an annoying troll that refuses to go away.  "Go away Unrelenting Annoyance!  Now shoo!   ...shoo!   Begone you silly Weirdo Fan person, you!  Shoo!"

lol.  We shall see...

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed