Why there won't be any "stars"

Started by War Wager, Apr 16, 2007, 10:32:01 AM

Author
Why there won't be any "stars" (Read 5,786 times)

War Wager

War Wager

The only reason there is not going to be any well known stars in AvP2 is because if you saw Angelina Jolie or Tom Cruise running from an Alien, it just would'nt be as intense as you have seen these actors before. It's more suspenful if you see someone you've never heard of (pretty much all of the cast) trying to escape from an Alien...

Don Dorris

Don Dorris

Why are people still going on about the lack of 'stars' in the film? Where were the 'stars' in AvP? Lance Henrikson? The guy hasn't been in the spotlight for years. There's nothing more to it.

So yeah, you're right, but the other reason is because the budget wouldn't stretch to afford actors like Tom Cruise.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Lovely Man on Apr 16, 2007, 11:25:31 AM
Why are people still going on about the lack of 'stars' in the film? Where were the 'stars' in AvP? Lance Henrikson? The guy hasn't been in the spotlight for years. There's nothing more to it.

So yeah, you're right, but the other reason is because the budget wouldn't stretch to afford actors like Tom Cruise.

And who said Tom Cruise is a good actor? Or Angelina Jolie? You're confusing the actors that have a lot of spotlight and actors that can deliver good, solid, credible performances... For an horror movie, you don't need that much of an actor...Just girls showing a surprised look, guys having a stupid look on their face just before the 'oops' part... and it would be offensive for a good actor in the moulds of Al Pacino or Robert de Niro or Jack NIcholson to be compared with Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie or Scarlett Johansson, while I'm at it...

So, long story short, yes, this sort of movie dispenses a good acting class, but it still needs them to be believable and mature looking, otherwise it is just 'a group of teenagers running from the police in fright'... Big deal... You need them to be convincing enough to 'sell the horror'... One of PWA's bullseye remarks...not that there are that many, but nevertheless...

So, the cast is still important, but not that important in a popcorn movie like this...If it were Alien, yes, but AVP is just a 'Freddy versus Jason' type of movie, a 'What if' movie... nothing an experienced actor would be craving to do...

And they would cost too much, so THAT is off...

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I thinks known stars wou;dn't do well, becuase it just won't be believable. I mean seeing sean penn run from an alien, that's not too convincing

Newsfop

Newsfop

If Sean Penn was running from an alien, I'd be putting money down on the xeno with both hands. Getting to see something like that is as good as seeing Little Miss Paris getting a pipe shoved through her head.

gameoverman

Big name actors wouldn't do a movie like AVP because it would tarnish their career.

Actors like Lance Henrickson just take what they can get.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Newsfop on Apr 16, 2007, 01:48:39 PM
If Sean Penn was running from an alien, I'd be putting money down on the xeno with both hands. Getting to see something like that is as good as seeing Little Miss Paris getting a pipe shoved through her head.

Huh...she already did... twice...!!  :D

Oh, you mean that as in movies...? Oh, OK...   :D :D :o

Highland

Highland

I agree with Gameoverman, you wouldnt touch AVP2 with a pole if you were even a half decent actor, not if you seen the first one...... and all this "it would'nt be scary if they were famous" is just nonsense.

I'd take a 60 somthing Arnold over a Dawsons creek gimp everyday of the week. 

The cast sucks, we jsut cant tell if they suck in this movie yet....

Don Dorris

Don Dorris

Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 16, 2007, 12:05:51 PM

And who said Tom Cruise is a good actor? Or Angelina Jolie? You're confusing the actors that have a lot of spotlight and actors that can deliver good, solid, credible performances... 
No I'm not. I just said why they wouldn't be in the movie. I never referred to them in terms of how well they act, only as stars and as their job title: actors.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: gameoverman on Apr 16, 2007, 02:00:38 PM
Big name actors wouldn't do a movie like AVP because it would tarnish their career.

Actors like Lance Henrickson just take what they can get.

Lance should have been saved for an Alien 5, who with the de-aging FX software of X-Men- The last Stand could be the Bishop Android...

Or they could just have done a more rugged Bishop...

I think Lance could still do an Alien 5 as an android, provided they hurry with it before he falls ill or even dies... he should go out with a bang, though his career is magnificent, especially what he did in the 'Millenium' series... Great actor, with a commanding voice that is fantastic on theaters...

So, the prob was not the actors, but the level of esxpectations too high that actually prevented fom enjoying the movie... I enjoyed because i saw it for sport... It is not like AVP was an Alien or Predator movie.. it was just an entertaining movie... nevertheless, AVP2 is somewhat different because Fox is pushing it, making it more serious than it should... why waste more money on a sequel of a badly-received movie by the majority of critics and fans alike...?

No actors,. good or bad, experienced or not, can perform miracles if the story is bad... They are only good if their parts are good... They can't sell just anything... they need a good script to be all they can be...

Lance is a terrific actor on a flawed-scripted movie... Those are my two-cents...  

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Lovely Man on Apr 16, 2007, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 16, 2007, 12:05:51 PM

And who said Tom Cruise is a good actor? Or Angelina Jolie? You're confusing the actors that have a lot of spotlight and actors that can deliver good, solid, credible performances... 
No I'm not. I just said why they wouldn't be in the movie. I never referred to them in terms of how well they act, only as stars and as their job title: actors.

Ok, I just thought the two examples were bad, that's all... Stars and good actors usually don't mix... That is why you have those you mentioned, adding Scarlett and others who people confuse 'being attractive physically' with 'good acting abilities'... It is better we define the terms we are using before any mix-up...Oops, too late... but I get you, Lovely Man...   ;)

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

If Tom Cruise was in this movie, I would be thinking: "Oh cool, Tom running away from an alien", not thinking "Oh no, this character who I care for so much is going to die at the hands of an alien".

SM

SM

It'd suck because Tom Cruise has script immunity written into all his contracts, and my hope at seeing Tom Cruise getting his over-rated, over-acting brain cored would ultimately be disappointed.

Mind you it would be nice if they got a name actor who got nailed halfway through.  Didn't Sam Jackson get eaten halfway through Deep Blue Sea?  If a big name dies, then no one is safe.

Danger Close

The best monster movies latley have no names in them, FEAST, The DECENT, even movies like 300. Sure some of them were known actors but c'mon, none of them were big. If they have talent and the direction is good... who cares. Big names would just ruin this movie. Look at Nick Cage.... he's a big actor, do you want him in AVP2? I thought not. The bigger the name the harder it is to get rid of them once they have attached them selves to a film. How many of you wish that they could take back Alien 4 and leave Ripley dead?

War Wager

War Wager

Not me, Ripleys the best character, and Sigorney Weaver is the best actress in every movie...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed