The Ultimate Question: Was it better than AVP?

Started by yodasmeagol, Dec 26, 2007, 10:29:50 PM

Did you like AVP-R better than AVP?

Absolutely! Totally awesome!
11 (16.4%)
Yes! A good improvement, better than the crap that was AVP.
33 (49.3%)
More or less. Yeah, but not too much better.
9 (13.4%)
Liked it the same as AVP.
2 (3%)
Liked AVP a little better.
3 (4.5%)
Really disliked AVP-R. Boring and uninteresting.
2 (3%)
AVP looks like The Godfather compared to AVP-R!
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author
The Ultimate Question: Was it better than AVP? (Read 2,484 times)

yodasmeagol

With individual reviews and opinions scattered everywhere, lets see if we can't get a unanimous opinion. It seemed that it was pretty much guaranteed that AVP-R would be better than AVP, but some reviews suggest different. Well, was it better? And try to make a reasonable vote with whatever your personal opinion is. Maybe you feel the movie in terms of plot, characters, and script was worse than AVP, but maybe you enjoyed it and had more fun with it than AVP. Try to make a good, balanced statement, and feel free to divulge your opinion.

Dasani

AVPR was a horrible film....

It was still better than AVP though.

Demonio Cazador

Rikomaru

Well for me It was worse and better at the same time. Dont know how to explained but a few things were better from 1 but some things were worse from 1. Well I hoped more from 2 so Iam a little bit disapointed.

Nihkoute

I was disapointed overall.

However, it was a step in the right direction somewhat.

Definately better then AvP, not like thats saying much LoL

No Tail

I really really like the movie.  All of it except for the ending, and the pacing (or lack there of).

PS- Who voted for the last one!!! R U serious!!

The Chibi Kiriyama

It had improvements from the first, but they were so excessively applied that they became this film's flaws.

echobbase79

A hundred times better than AvP, but still not the epic I want from this title.

SiL

I think it was ... a different kind of shit. Not better, not worse, but a sidestep into a new type of bad.

Space Disc Jockey

Yes, it was better than AVP, but the script/story still wasn't that good. I think the presentation of the creatures and gore/violence was a step in the right direction. Hopefully, AVP 3 will finally get it "right".

echobbase79

Third times a charm? :)  :-X :-\

Plokoon111

Avpr looked like the first starwars compared to AVP.

FreewayShark

It wasn't perfect but it was better. My only real complaints center on the human stories. I actually liked the Jesse/Ricky story. It is an impactful moment when she diescause we do know how Ricky feels about her. Also the Kelly/Molly story could have had more to it. It could have shown more of the distance between them. The one scene when she wanted her dad to tell her a story was good, but it should have been one of a few. And the length of the movie hurt it as well. When we have two and a half or three hour action movies like Spiderman or Pirates or Transformers you walk away feeling that you have just seen a huge epic film and with this I felt that a lot more could have been done to solidify the movie. Even an additional half hour could have done wonders.

Dusk

Definitely better than the first AvP, but it could have still done better in certain areas.

The Necronoir

Just going from the overall mental impression I have after seeing both of them, I'm actually going to have to go with AVP. Perhaps the Strauses simply did the best they could when passed with a flat ball (ie the Shane Salerno script or the entire premise) but it just lacked that expansive feel that all the movies, even AVP had to some degree. I'm talking about that sense of being in a larger, more inscrutable universe than we encounter in everyday life.

To their credit the openings scenes with the predator ships and homeworld (which I gather were the Strauses innovation) definitely had that feel, and were the best part of the movie. What's more that seems to have been the movie they wanted to make before they were harnessed to this lame script.

In terms of creature design and action etc it was good, but I can't help but feel that if they'd been handed the fight scenes and design elements of the first movie, while Anderson handled the wider directing etc, we would have had a much better movie than either is individually.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed