Re-watched AVP again! and found some irritating spots!

Started by GUiLE, Apr 15, 2007, 08:07:53 PM

Author
Re-watched AVP again! and found some irritating spots! (Read 8,487 times)

Corporal Hicks

He didn't write EH did he?

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 18, 2007, 08:02:51 AM
He didn't write EH did he?

Nope...some guy named Philip Eisner... but PWA's directing was very competent and a nice horror sci-fi flick there...

topman

i have to agree about event horizan, it wasn't a bad flick! on eof his better movies!

Corporal Hicks

I've said it before and I'll say it again. He's a capable director, fantastic at making the most out of his production department but he should not be allowed near computer again. He shouldn't write.

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 18, 2007, 11:09:25 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. He's a capable director, fantastic at making the most out of his production department but he should not be allowed near computer again. He shouldn't write.

Have you ever tried to do a script out of a computer-game...? It is not easy...

You can't just make a collage of the best moments, you have to try and make a cohesive story that intoroduce them in cenematic fashion, and what works in a videogame may not work in a movie... So I give him credit for Resident Evil and AVP because he tried to make lemonade out of the very few lemons he was given...and allowed to use...

Corporal Hicks

Have you even played AvP? The movie is nothing like the game. The movie is essentially what you just said it shouldn't be, a collage of the bits from the comics and the movies.

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 18, 2007, 12:49:44 PM
Have you even played AvP? The movie is nothing like the game. The movie is essentially what you just said it shouldn't be, a collage of the bits from the comics and the movies.

Yes, I've played both AVP and AVP2, and if you think AVP2 would make a good movie, man, you are so wrong...

Also, AVP has a story, even if you choose to dislike it... it has its bumps and farfetched things, but most you would only know if you looked it up: the Aztec metric calendar, the Antarctica free of ice, etc...

AVP was the best story with a PG-13 label on it... At least, it HAD a story...unlike AVP2, with I fear more gore and less horror... And with new and inexperienced directors, they would probably do a horror movie right out of the manual, a mix of Friday 13th and SAW...

So, that will definitely be better... And I though Freddy versus Jason was bad enough...

SiL

QuoteHave you ever tried to do a script out of a computer-game...? It is not easy...

It is if you do your homework and look fully into the world that the creators had made. They've already got the story, plot, and characters done for you. You just have to make it coherent.

QuoteSo I give him credit for Resident Evil and AVP because he tried to make lemonade out of the very few lemons he was given...and allowed to use...

AvP was based more off the comics and movies than the games. Anderson had a huge amount of material to work with. It shouldn't have been that hard to make something decent.

Quoteand if you think AVP2 would make a good movie, man, you are so wrong...

Not saying much considering you're the one who thinks to make the Predators better, we should turn them even more into people. It's got a good story, a good plot, and it works well for all three creatures. Could make an awesome movie.

QuoteAlso, AVP has a story, even if you choose to dislike it...

No shit, Sherlock. So does every movie. Yes, even AvP 2.

QuoteAnd with new and inexperienced directors,

I'm sure you would've been bitching when you heard James Cameron or David Fincher were going to direct sequls to Alien because they were inexperienced ::)

Assume all you like, you won't know until the damned thing comes out. And while my hopes are low, I hope it's awesome if just to spite your sorry ass.

Corporal Hicks

Am I allowed to be mean? I've not really been Mad Mod in a while so I don't really know but...

Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 18, 2007, 06:57:30 PM
Yes, I've played both AVP and AVP2, and if you think AVP2 would make a good movie, man, you are so wrong...

Did I say that? No I f**king didn't. You implied that AvP was based on the games which it quite simply wasn't and I said that.

QuoteAlso, AVP has a story, even if you choose to dislike it... it has its bumps and farfetched things, but most you would only know if you looked it up: the Aztec metric calendar, the Antarctica free of ice, etc...

And here was me thinking nothing was happening.  ::) I'm not an idiot. All those aspects of the story really interested me in the lead up to it. I don't know if I've ever said it here but I think Anderson had a good story, just not the talent to do anything with it.

SM

QuoteHave you ever tried to do a script out of a computer-game...?

[Vas]No.  Have you?[/Vas]

QuoteIt is if you do your homework and look fully into the world that the creators had made. They've already got the story, plot, and characters done for you. You just have to make it coherent.

Exactly.

Can't see how adapting a video game would be much different to adapting a book.  Except where have to strip a book down when you change medium, you might have to add more meat to a video game.

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: SM on Apr 18, 2007, 10:57:02 PM
QuoteHave you ever tried to do a script out of a computer-game...?

[Vas]No.  Have you?[/Vas]

QuoteIt is if you do your homework and look fully into the world that the creators had made. They've already got the story, plot, and characters done for you. You just have to make it coherent.

Exactly.

Can't see how adapting a video game would be much different to adapting a book.  Except where have to strip a book down when you change medium, you might have to add more meat to a video game.

No, but PWA and the 'Doom' guy did, so until you do, give them the respect they deserve... That is what any reasonable person would do... And now that I mention it, I will give Shane Salerno ans the Bros. the benefit of the doubt, but not Fox... It has already an overlong track record of buffon sequels...

SiL

Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 19, 2007, 09:10:49 AM
No, but PWA and the 'Doom' guy did, so until you do, give them the respect they deserve...

When the dog shits on the carpet and puts flowers around it, you don't praise the dog for decorating it, you punish it for shitting on the damned carpet.

That's what they did with Doom at any rate. Completely missed the point.

They messed up the movie. They could've made something great with that franchise, but they got so caught up in how good they were they didn't bother to look to see what people really remembered from the games. FPS sequence? Oh, yay. A five-minute sequence slapped on at the end of the movie. Groovy. What about everything else?

QuoteThat is what any reasonable person would do...

Any reasonable person would criticize their work, not blindly praise it for putting in a good effort.

SM

QuoteNo, but PWA and the 'Doom' guy did, so until you do, give them the respect they deserve... That is what any reasonable person would do...

What a load of horseshit.

Doom had excellent source material and f**ked it up completely.  Anderson did the same thing.

Why should we respect someone for getting paid a lot of money to curl out a steaming turd?

By your rationale, we shouldn't criticise Hitler until we've all rampaged across Europe killing Jews.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Doom the movie, was nothing like Doom the game. The only things that connected it to the game, well let's just say I could count them on one hand:

1) The name Doom
2) FPS Sequence
3) BFG

Doom, in it's own right was an entertaining action movie. Doom, as a movie based on Doom was a total flop. It would have done so much better if it had have just changed the title...or you know, followed source material.

Anderson has no talent when it comes to writing, as he's demonstrated many-a-time. These people are "proffesional". They're meant to be good at their job. I will not roll over and kiss his ass because he "gave it his best shot".

Now I know everyone is entited to their opinion. I respect you for having one and not falling in line with all the other sheep but seriously...there's an opinion and there's passing off bullshit as fact.

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: SiL on Apr 19, 2007, 09:18:40 AM
Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 19, 2007, 09:10:49 AM
No, but PWA and the 'Doom' guy did, so until you do, give them the respect they deserve...

When the dog shits on the carpet and puts flowers around it, you don't praise the dog for decorating it, you punish it for shitting on the damned carpet.

That's what they did with Doom at any rate. Completely missed the point.

They messed up the movie. They could've made something great with that franchise, but they got so caught up in how good they were they didn't bother to look to see what people really remembered from the games. FPS sequence? Oh, yay. A five-minute sequence slapped on at the end of the movie. Groovy. What about everything else?

QuoteThat is what any reasonable person would do...

Any reasonable person would criticize their work, not blindly praise it for putting in a good effort.

Well, I kinda liked it... It was a game without a story so any story is better than no story...  :D

Now seriously, I took the movie for what it is, just entertainment... These movies-from-video-games are not taken seriously even by the companies, so why should we...?

Think about it... Resident Evil 1 was at a mansion, Res2 in a city, Res3 in a city, Res 4, who cares...?

So, you think a movie in a mansion would be any different than any clichéd masion horror movie, like 'The Mansion' with zombies...?

In a city... well, I think PWA wrote it the only way he could...gather a group of survivors and give them a ticket out of there in exchange of something... Not rocket science there...

The prob is you think these movies are taken into consideration by the studios to be anything more than mere popcorn movies...they aren't...and you can see that in every movie like this, every comic-book-turned-movie...

So, why the anger and surprise...?

Just enjoy it for what is worth... you'll get an ulcer pretty soon if you don't relax there, man...

And I praise the effort, not the outcome... It is not easy to make a movie and I don't think these movies are anything more than discardardable fun movies...

Doom was a good game , but I would not make it int a movie.... Do you even know why they decided to do it in the fist place...? probably just for the money...Hollywwod is getting a lot of that lately... meaning, the last decade...

So, focus that anger to movies that are worth it, not this... waste of energy, if you ask me...!

Doom was a dead concept even before they filmed it... Doom was an OK game at a time when FPS was at birthing stages with Wolfenstein #D, but itnever had a story to begin with, remember...? So why criticise the story when there was no story in it the game in the first place...?

resident Evil...? Great game but a movie... with zombies walking instead of running (Dawn of the Dead, anyone...?)... Nah, too boring... But PWA actually gave an OK spin on it... Not a classic or a memorable movie, but what do you really expect from a movie like this, other than  a fun time for what is worth and for how long our attention span endures it...?

Why do you think these movies have an average duration of 90 minutes...? Same with comedies and kids' movies...?

Think about it... if you haven't already...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed