AvPGalaxy's Favourite Movie

Started by Its Game Time, Apr 11, 2007, 12:57:17 AM

Whats your fave movie out of the whole franchise?

Predator
164 (19.3%)
Predator 2
45 (5.3%)
AvP: Alien vs. Predator
29 (3.4%)
AvPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
25 (2.9%)
Alien
203 (23.9%)
Aliens
305 (35.9%)
AlienĀ³
51 (6%)
Alien Resurrection
8 (0.9%)
Predators
12 (1.4%)
Prometheus
2 (0.2%)
Alien: Covenant
4 (0.5%)
The Predator
1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 793

Author
AvPGalaxy's Favourite Movie (Read 182,053 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Alien/Aliens are tied equally for me, which one is better depends on what I am wanting from the movie. Both are masterpieces so it is hard to choose.

Outkilln

Outkilln

Aliens - The character development and the comradery really makes this movie shine.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2018, 11:54:17 AM
Quote from: Huggs on May 29, 2018, 04:40:28 AM2. Alien: Director's Cut

Curious as to why you prefer the DC to the theatrical?

It feels more complete. All the extra footage only improves the film, in my opinion. And heck, it's just more of a good thing.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Huggs on May 31, 2018, 10:12:38 PM

It feels more complete. All the extra footage only improves the film, in my opinion. And heck, it's just more of a good thing.

It actually has less footage, it's a minute shorter.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on May 31, 2018, 10:27:35 PM
Quote from: Huggs on May 31, 2018, 10:12:38 PM

It actually has less footage, it's a minute shorter.

Ah, shite. My bad, I'm coming off a double shift right now. I thought he said Aliens. As for why I prefer the DC of Alien 79, I'm not gonna lie. It's mainly because of the egg morphing and hive scene. It's just so horrifying, and it fits the movie so well.

The Old One

The Old One

The only thing I prefer from the DC is the Alien smacking the cat, it's timed well with the score timing out, in the Theatrical is just looks at the cat and the score just cuts out- it's irritatingly jarring.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on May 31, 2018, 10:32:41 PMAh, shite. My bad, I'm coming off a double shift right now. I thought he said Aliens.

;D No worries.

Quote from: Huggs on May 31, 2018, 10:32:41 PMIt's mainly because of the egg morphing and hive scene. It's just so horrifying, and it fits the movie so well.

Fair enough.

I actually think most of the changes in the DC make the film worse. The cocoon scene is cool but it just stops the film dead in its tracks in the final act. Ridley clearly recognised as much because he cut the sequence down significantly from its original length. Plus why is Ripley going down into the cargo bay anyway? Not to mention it causes issues when she doesn't say anything upon seeing the hive in the sequel.

Scott also rather frustratingly elected to remove my favourite scene in the entire film - the one where Dallas asks Mother for advice before going into the vents. It builds so much extra tension for the vent scene, I can't believe he removed it.

The only alteration I really like is Lambert clobbering Ripley for refusing to let them back on board. The scene were they listen to the signal is cool as well, but then Scott went and ruined that too by altering the transmission noise from the intensely creepy original to what sounds like generic radio chatter, making everyone's freaked-out reaction seem completely inappropriate.

The first film is actually the only one of the four where I prefer the original to the later extended/alternate cut.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I would have to agree there, I enjoyed some of the extras except the cocoon part.

I don't think it cause continuations issues because the DC version is not canon, whereas the extended versions of Aliens is. Not sure what the status of the versions of the other films, I would prefer the AC version of Alien 3 to be canon as ox thing is better than the dog in my opinion.

The chestburster is too large when it comes out of the dog, meaning the dog should have long been dead plus there is no reason for the chestburster to be more developed as it is. But with the Ox, it makes sense, the rib cage was too strong, it couldn't get out, so it continued to grow within, killing the ox.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Alien
Aliens

Prometheus

Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

AVP
Predator

The rest is Strause bros.

SentryGun

SentryGun

Aliens

followed by 

Alien

followed by

Predator

Nightmare Asylum

Alien

Alens / Alien 3

Alien: Resurrection / Prometheus

The Old One

The Old One

^

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Its gotta be Aliens, because it is what truly birthed the universe.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Pretty sure the cast and crew of Alien would have something to say about that.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

I do need to give credit to Alien for it set the tone, introduced the creature and set up a strong lead character. Deciding between Alien and Aliens is the hardest choice to make.

But Aliens really did a great expansion on that universe with the full life cycle of the Xenomorph, Ripley's iconic character arc; we see Gateway Station, the Military and a remote world colony.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed