Why the original design wont be used again...

Started by War Wager, Apr 03, 2007, 12:45:41 PM

Author
Why the original design wont be used again... (Read 6,186 times)

War Wager

The alien in Alien certainly had the most mechanical and creepy look out of all the movies, but  the other movies were not claustraphobic horrors (exept mabye Alien3) the others were more action driven and so you needed to see more of the aliens than before. Sure the Alien design had a cool "skull like" head but the body and legs would look to "human" nowadays. It's because of this that if the make more AvP's or certainley an Alien 5, they would probably just redesign the aliens yet again...  :-\

SiL

No, it's because the people in charge of their designs are morons :-\

Giger's original design as great. Perfect for a strange alien monster - It was just that the suit wasn't particularly well done, and that's all people remember ('They hid it cos it looked like shit' gets thrown around a lot by people making the sequels ::)). With a few modifications and a better-made suit, the design would be perfect.

But no, it has to look 'animalistic'. f**k alien, that's a thing of the past - Making it look like something you'd find in a twisted futuristic zoo is the way to go! ::)

Darkness

Quote from: >>Predalien Warrior<< on Apr 03, 2007, 12:45:41 PM
The alien in Alien certainly had the most mechanical and creepy look out of all the movies, but  the other movies were not claustraphobic horrors (exept mabye Alien3) the others were more action driven and so you needed to see more of the aliens than before. Sure the Alien design had a cool "skull like" head but the body and legs would look to "human" nowadays. It's because of this that if the make more AvP's or certainley an Alien 5, they would probably just redesign the aliens yet again...  :-\

Apparently, it's to keep the alien designs looking fresh and new. Which is why they change them. Maybe they should have involved Giger in A4. I think actually, Ridley Scott said in an interview that for A5, he would bring Giger back to re-invent/re-design the creature or something like that.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 08:18:19 PM
But no, it has to look 'animalistic'. f**k alien, that's a thing of the past - Making it look like something you'd find in a twisted futuristic zoo is the way to go! ::)

LOL!  :D :D :D

SiL

SiL

It boils down to ADI not having a damned clue about what the Alien was all about.

They removed the penis head to make it pointier and more 'menacing'.

"Sexual connotations? Shit no, jagged angles are scary, man!

The tubes? Ha, screw them, it looks like it's made out of a car engine. Fleshy is so obviously a better choice to make it look more realistic.

Yes, there we go. It looks like an ambulatory shit, but you know what? It's better now. That's what we're doing to it. Making it better, because it was broke before, see? It needed fixing. So we fixed it.

What? Giger doesn't like our designs? Neither do the fans?

Pfft.

What do they know?"

And then they promptly continue to rape it.

Meathead320

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 09:44:16 PM
It boils down to ADI not having a damned clue about what the Alien was all about.

They removed the penis head to make it pointier and more 'menacing'.

"Sexual connotations? Shit no, jagged angles are scary, man!

The tubes? Ha, screw them, it looks like it's made out of a car engine. Fleshy is so obviously a better choice to make it look more realistic.

Yes, there we go. It looks like an ambulatory shit, but you know what? It's better now. That's what we're doing to it. Making it better, because it was broke before, see? It needed fixing. So we fixed it.

What? Giger doesn't like our designs? Neither do the fans?

Pfft.

What do they know?"

And then they promptly continue to rape it.

I agree with this 100%.

I am fine with them using more modern materials and techniques to make the suit, but the design just looked better on the original.

I also would prefer a very tall, around 7ft, guy in the costume, who also has a very thin build.

This makes it look more Alien too.

ZombieSlayer909

Tom Woodruff Jr. is my hero!!!! lol ;D

Well I think the original design was good, but as the movies progressed they did more CGI and made the alien skinnier, so skiny that a normal human isn't that thin.

I don't like the raptor legs as much, because it just seems like it would be harder for them to run.

I've always loved the shiny, dome head of their's with the bone showing underneath. As in Aliens it is presumed that once they mature, then it's just bone and no capsule.

But I do agree that the designs were better with Giger around because after all he's the only one who knows exactly what it should be like.

gameoverman

Giger himself wasn't happy with the original design.  If you look at his sketches for Alien 3, he talks about the flaws in the original alien design.  For example, that spike thing and the pipes sticking out of its back restricted its movement.

Giger's design for the runner was pretty close to how it turned out.

SiL

The pipes restricted the motion of the head when it was on all-fours, which is how the creature would be throughout most of Alien3. He said he didn't like the tongue - Not organic enough - and felt he could streamline it a bit.

All of those are valid points, but what ADI 'fixed' - The biomechanical aspect, the sexual connotations - weren't broke and, hell, made the Alien unique. Now it's just some other movie monster.

Extroheal

Get over yourselves people. Whenever a sequel is made a long time after its predecessor, the designs get modified so they look better to the current audience. This is especially true when a franchise decides to switch from suits to CGI.

SM

Giger didn't dig on the dorsal tubes.  They were added at Ridley's insistence.  Thankfully.

SiL

Added to make it look less like a giant T shape ;D

QuoteWhenever a sequel is made a long time after its predecessor, the designs get modified so they look better to the current audience.

Modern audiences also tend to agree that the new designs look like shit. The only people who seem to like them are teenagers who got introduced with A:R and AvP.

SM

I think that's more down to what the Alien does and it's increasing amount of screen time.  Which really began with Alien3.  There seems to be a feeling of "Teh alien in alien1 is teh stoopid coz its so SLOOOWWW".

The young and short on attention span like the more screen time and leaping about the place and accordingly like the recent designs more.

Personally I don't really dislike any of the designs - though none can hold a candle to the original.  And AvP2 is shaping up to be the first I really do dislike.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2007, 04:52:05 AM
Giger didn't dig on the dorsal tubes.  They were added at Ridley's insistence.  Thankfully.

Wasn't the tubes also there to help the Alien actor with ballence of some sort as well?

SM

No.  They were there to break up the human form and make it look less like a guy in a suit.

SiL

It was for aesthetic balancing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed