Is it just me OR is this movie seeming more and more disapointing.....

Started by PredClanLeadrr85, Dec 20, 2007, 12:08:33 AM

Author
Is it just me OR is this movie seeming more and more disapointing..... (Read 13,009 times)

Anomaly

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 24, 2007, 05:19:15 PM
Someone on IMDB give it a possive review and said it was good because it was very old school and action pack. The review on movieweb was good as well.

Note: who will like this film: those that give these films a huge thumbs up and say it was "action packed" and "unpretentious" and "kool" a lot.

Who will hate this film: everyone else.

Quote from: Hudson1138 on Dec 24, 2007, 05:47:11 PM
Calm down, we know what to expect with AVP2, I knew what to expect from DAY 1 when it was announced. why cant anyone else here (not saying everyone is like this)

Um... I know what to expect since a fact pattern emerged on this film full of red flags in like July or something. Doesnt mean I accept this style cop out.

TheAncientEnemy

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Dec 24, 2007, 07:46:25 PM
Well, it's obvious that AVP R focused more on the visuals and not the script/story. So, just go into the movie, thinking that it's just a "VS" film. Nothing that should win any awards, but have all the Alien/Predator carnage we expect to see. This is a pop-corn, horror/sci-fi film that will show exactly what the film says it is...Aliens/Predators fighting. Unfortunately, because of Selarno's involvement, don't expect a great script/story.

Obvisouly, because the Strauses came from a FX background, they know how to make great visuals on-screen, but the problem is, they need to find a good story/script. A lot of FX people-turned directors have the same problem...look at Michael Bay, for example. His movies look great, but he sucks at telling stories, because of the shit scripts he is given.

Of course, it is possible to create a GOOD AVP story, but it depends on the people hired to write the story.

I don't know why Fox re-hired Selarno, if they wanted to do something "different" than the first AVP film.

It's a lazy cop out to say not to expect much from the film. Newsflash: don't make films if they aren't supposed to be good. Even better newsflash: don't SEE films if they aren't supposed to be good.

The Alien legacy gives me plenty of reason to complain about lazy, all-about-the-money spin offs and sequels. The fact that people make excuses for Fox is the reason why these movies won't stop.

I came to this forum some months back thinking that I couldn't believe Fox would do what they did with AVP. I was frustrated by the lack of any thought at all into literally every decision made in that movie from its inception all the way to its release. Bad idea to MAKE it at all, initially. Then I knew when I saw who the director was that it was going to be penned by people writing like 12 year olds. Then I saw the PG 13 and that drove the final nail into the coffin.

My frustration with Fox has subsided, however. I realize that Fox would not make these films if people didn't go to see them. I came here expecting the fan base to understand that shitty movies cannot satisfy our craving for a new Alien or Predator movie and tarnish the reputation of the greats. I found some. However, the majority are so hungry for a new movie they will just take ANYTHING throw up on the screen. The fan base has become the franchise's biggest mortal enemy. A lot of you people have no quality control and will eat what you're fed. I'll bet if Ben Stiller directed the next AVP some of you guys would still say "No, dude... he got it right this time."

Stop seeing these movies! Stop patting Fox on the back for feeding you what you DIDN'T want!

For those of you who still don't get it, I have made an illustration that should simplify the idea:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Dec 24, 2007, 06:21:50 PM
I liked the leaked SDCC Spider-Man 3 trailer, and I hated the movie. Trailers are supposed to make you think the movie is great, whether that is true or if it's a complete POS.

Yeah I totally agree. I've been duped by many a trailer. Often times the trailer still holds up as pretty cool even when the movie itself is crap.

Lucian Laurentis

I'm sorry but please tell me who said the film wasn't supposed to be good? It really is all a matter of opinion man. I don't care if you have Monday Night football and an interview with one of the coaches, I hate watching Football. I hate other movies people praise as good, and like ones that critics hated. I can't tell you how many times a critic has given a great review of a movie, I've gone to see it, and I thought it was the worst peice of crap to ever hit the screen.

...That is a pretty funny picture tho. lol ;D

TheAncientEnemy

Quote from: Lucian Laurentis on Dec 25, 2007, 07:07:19 AM
I'm sorry but please tell me who said the film wasn't supposed to be good? It really is all a matter of opinion man. I don't care if you have Monday Night football and an interview with one of the coaches, I hate watching Football. I hate other movies people praise as good, and like ones that critics hated. I can't tell you how many times a critic has given a great review of a movie, I've gone to see it, and I thought it was the worst peice of crap to ever hit the screen.

If you read the quoted text from Space Disc Jockey (I'm a big fan of that name, by the way) then you will see what I was referring to. Going into a movie with the mindset that it's going to be a disappointment and that it's "just a vs. movie" is lame to me. If it was "just a vs. movie" that didn't blatantly milk two of the best movie monsters of all time then I would feel much differently about it. However, both franchises have already been established and are both full of all the "fun" that we are supposed to be ready for going into a "vs" movie AND are well done and articulate to boot.

I can watch Aliens or Predator and have an absolute blast but I don't have to insult myself by turning my brain off at the same time. It's because of this that I feel like the people behind the AvP series are standing on the shoulders of giants... and pissing down their backs.

The idea that Alien and Predator can't be fun and well-crafted at the same time is an insult to the audience, in my opinion. We shouldn't settle.

happypred

Quote from: ChasuFett on Dec 20, 2007, 05:51:50 AM
But if the movie were to portray the Aliens to be so gruesome that they even terrorize the Predators (albeit to a lesser extent than humans)

and that would be just wonderful for the predator's image  ::)

they should be portrayed as very challenging prey...but not a terror to the preds

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: TheAncientEnemy on Dec 25, 2007, 07:16:14 AM
The idea that Alien and Predator can't be fun and well-crafted at the same time is an insult to the audience, in my opinion. We shouldn't settle.

Many don't settle...but aren't taken seriously and labelled haters.

gases

If you read the quoted text from Space Disc Jockey (I'm a big fan of that name, by the way) then you will see what I was referring to. Going into a movie with the mindset that it's going to be a disappointment and that it's "just a vs. movie" is lame to me. If it was "just a vs. movie" that didn't blatantly milk two of the best movie monsters of all time then I would feel much differently about it. However, both franchises have already been established and are both full of all the "fun" that we are supposed to be ready for going into a "vs" movie AND are well done and articulate to boot.

I can watch Aliens or Predator and have an absolute blast but I don't have to insult myself by turning my brain off at the same time. It's because of this that I feel like the people behind the AvP series are standing on the shoulders of giants... and pissing down their backs.

I don't expect it from a 40 million dollar movie featuring sci-fi monsters. Maybe a 40million dollar movie without the need for CGI. Nor do i expect it from something this size without sacrifice to creature time.

If avp 3 happens, I hope it gets a bigger budget and is worked on for a long time with the director or directors being free in decisions and working with writer.

wolfboy

There's another guy on IMDB that just posted the final fight is like WWF on PCP. Now I'm really worried.

TheAncientEnemy

Quote from: gases on Dec 25, 2007, 08:19:14 AM

I don't expect it from a 40 million dollar movie featuring sci-fi monsters. Maybe a 40million dollar movie without the need for CGI. Nor do i expect it from something this size without sacrifice to creature time.

If avp 3 happens, I hope it gets a bigger budget and is worked on for a long time with the director or directors being free in decisions and working with writer.

Did you read any of my other posts? That won't happen! A low budget AVP making money will NOT somehow inspire Fox to blow a billion dollars on a sequel! What kind of business model would that be? Fox seeks to reap maximum profit off of minimum spending. The only place for these movies to go is DOWN. The first AVP did just fine at the box office and yet this new one has a LOWER budget? read the writing on the wall, man!

The more people go to see these movies the less chance we get at a PROPER Alien or Predator film. I don't know how many times I can repeat the same thing in the same thread and still get the some response. Your logic about expectations based on the film's budget are baseless because the bottom line is that the fan base, if it really cared, should have banded together and petitioned Fox in a SERIOUS manner in order to at least let them know that there is a demand for Alien and Predator films that are not just Scream 3 with monsters in it.

Ugh! So frustrating!

Weasel

Fox still sees what fans want. Plus the bros set it up for space. Fox would be stupid to not give a larger budget to a movie that's in space. They saw we wanted gore, they gave it to us. Now they see we want just more than gore, and I think that they'll try at least a little harder.

TheAncientEnemy

Quote from: Weasel on Dec 25, 2007, 05:37:31 PM
Fox still sees what fans want. Plus the bros set it up for space. Fox would be stupid to not give a larger budget to a movie that's in space. They saw we wanted gore, they gave it to us. Now they see we want just more than gore, and I think that they'll try at least a little harder.

I agree, Fox sees what fans want. Please refer to my wonderful MS Paint drawing in this thread for that.

The problem is that Fox sees what fans want and gives them just that, which is usually a pile of garbage. "Bllaaahhhh I wanna see aliens and predators fight! Characters are for pussies, just give me cheap thrills! I watch wrestling, listen to Kid Rock and update my Myspace page 8 times a day!" This is what Fox hears because that's what the majority desires.

But ask yourself this, which Alien sequel actually gave the fans what they wanted? Did Aliens? No, too much of a departure. Did Alien 3? Hell no, how dare they kill those characters and follow an action thrill-ride with that depressing story!

But you know what, we loved it. Why? Because it was unexpected, brave, and articulate. To shovel the shit people want directly into their mouths has a term. It's called "selling out." As soon as you start listening to the whims of the majority you find youself on a slippery slope of money right out of Credibility Land and only those with some severe artistic integrity can put down the cash and climb back out of that pit.

Fox doesn't have that. There is no reason to do any better when people pile up in theaters and cream their jeans over the most mediocre, uninspired, low-budget cheapness you can put on the screen. It's not fair to people who would like to see a more artistic approach to what was once a mighty franchise, but since when has the majority ever had good taste?

Trashed

....As the chickens come home to roost....LMFAO!

TheAncientEnemy

Quote from: darkn3ss on Dec 25, 2007, 08:03:20 PM
these reviewers are not Fans that is for sure and i think they are walking into the movie expect the alien and predator to be playing Oscar winning roles Hello they are make believe Character you Dicks and this is a Action movie not a F^&K Drama.!!!!!.

You mean like when Alien won an Oscar? Or do you mean like when Aliens won 2 Oscars? Or perhaps when Predator was nominated for one? You're right, I guess we should just keep swallowing the shit Fox is giving us because "make believe" characters could never be in a movie that was actually incredibly well-done on a tight budget.

We should just expect that no film makers will ever be able to use these these monsters in a cool way again and instead beg Fox for AVP3. I mean, we're FANS right? We'll eat vomit if it has an AVP logo on it! TRUE FANS love nothing more than to see god awful messes that turn respectable movie icons into lameness. Since I too am 100% TRUE FAN I just mailed Fox an envelope of $100 bills.

Nice mindset. Enjoy the rest of your fecal matter.

MajorDutch

Quote from: csutkakoma on Dec 24, 2007, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 24, 2007, 05:19:15 PM
Someone on IMDB give it a possive review and said it was good because it was very old school and action pack. The review on movieweb was good as well.

Here another possive fan review

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758730/board/thread/92928504

The movieweb gave the movie 3.5/5 which is medicore. 70%.

Dude, 3.5 out of 5 is NOT mediocre.  It's a vs movie about aliens, you can't expect it to get 5 out of 5 stars.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed