Is it just me OR is this movie seeming more and more disapointing.....

Started by PredClanLeadrr85, Dec 20, 2007, 12:08:33 AM

Author
Is it just me OR is this movie seeming more and more disapointing..... (Read 13,031 times)

Porkus Maximus

See I'm really worried because I really like the Dark Knight trailer.  The problem is that I actually liked the first AVP-R trailers too and I don't think I can trust my own judgement anymore. :(

The Chibi Kiriyama

I liked the leaked SDCC Spider-Man 3 trailer, and I hated the movie. Trailers are supposed to make you think the movie is great, whether that is true or if it's a complete POS.

nukem11

Especially films today they can make them look amazing and they turn out to be a piece of shit like spidey 3.
Its more to do with money in films these days rather than quality its a shame.

TheAncientEnemy

Quote from: nukem11 on Dec 24, 2007, 06:14:33 PM
Quote from: Gates on Dec 24, 2007, 06:10:18 PM
Quote from: nukem11 on Dec 24, 2007, 06:04:49 PM
but you can still enjoy for what it is.

Why?

well dont then but atleast give it a chance.

This is exactly what I mean.

To make it clear: I am not trying to force an opinion on people, but when some folks go see this and then cry because it's not Aliens I have to smack myself in the forehead. What did you expect?

Don't give Fox a chance when you already know they blew it. There is no difference between giving them a chance and thanking them for what they did because the end result is the same: $10 less for you and one more person in the theater for Fox to be pleased with.

While AVP and AVPR might be entertaining for some that does not negate the fact that Alien and Aliens were both entertaining AND artistic. They were tastefully done and I am tired of people trying to defend AVPR as though it was made strictly for the hardcore 80's action movie fans. Freakin' Aliens was a hardcore 80's action movie!

It's not impossible to be entertaining and well-crafted. The more you try to convince yourself you can't have it both ways the more road you pave for horrible movies that make a profit and then disappear like so much other trash.

Gates

Quote from: Lucian Laurentis on Dec 24, 2007, 06:17:06 PM
Well at least you have The Dark Knight to look forward to.  ;)

'Tis true, but I really wish I could be enjoying this with everyone else...I've been an Alien and Predator fan longer than I have been a fan of anything else...I just wish that for once I can go see an AvP film and actually enjoy it...

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 24, 2007, 06:19:54 PM
See I'm really worried because I really like the Dark Knight trailer.  The problem is that I actually liked the first AVP-R trailers too and I don't think I can trust my own judgement anymore. :(

The red band didn't really do it for me when it came out, don't get me wrong, the kills were nice but it lacked substance (which seems to be what this film is all about)...so my judgment is still good in my book... ;D

The Chibi Kiriyama

A film advertising all of the money shots has never been a good sign to me. Rise of the Silver Surfer didn't even have a proper teaser- 20th Century just put out an edited clip from the film. All the R-rated trailer did was make me worried that I had already seen anything worth seeing in what seems to be a thin film.

nukem11

Quote from: TheAncientEnemy on Dec 24, 2007, 06:27:40 PM
This is exactly what I mean.

To make it clear: I am not trying to force an opinion on people, but when some folks go see this and then cry because it's not Aliens I have to smack myself in the forehead. What did you expect?

Don't give Fox a chance when you already know they blew it. There is no difference between giving them a chance and thanking them for what they did because the end result is the same: $10 less for you and one more person in the theater for Fox to be pleased with.

While AVP and AVPR might be entertaining for some that does not negate the fact that Alien and Aliens were both entertaining AND artistic. They were tastefully done and I am tired of people trying to defend AVPR as though it was made strictly for the hardcore 80's action movie fans. Freakin' Aliens was a hardcore 80's action movie!

It's not impossible to be entertaining and well-crafted. The more you try to convince yourself you can't have it both ways the more road you pave for horrible movies that make a profit and then disappear like so much other trash.

I know what you mean but believe it or not Im picky as hell when its comes to films but there are other ways to see films without wasting your money chum. ;)

Gates

Absolutely Chibi...my thoughts exactly...

Lucian Laurentis

Quote from: Gates on Dec 24, 2007, 06:28:01 PM
Quote from: Lucian Laurentis on Dec 24, 2007, 06:17:06 PM
Well at least you have The Dark Knight to look forward to.  ;)

'Tis true, but I really wish I could be enjoying this with everyone else...I've been an Alien and Predator fan longer than I have been a fan of anything else...I just wish that for once I can go see an AvP film and actually enjoy it...

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 24, 2007, 06:19:54 PM

The red band didn't really do it for me when it came out, don't get me wrong, the kills were nice but it lacked substance (which seems to be what this film is all about)...so my judgment is still good in my book... ;D

I'm pretty sure that The Dark Knight will be enjoyable. It's continuing with the same tone and all it seems, which is very nice. Then again, I think non creature flicks are easier to keep the tone with and not be bored. Since you can relate to them better, and develop their life and such. I hope to see TDK opening day as well if I can help it, loved Batman Begins.

And I've been an Alien and Predator fan for a long time too. I guess it's just not easy to make it have as much substance when you cram three species into a movie. Very hard to give them all the proper attention they deserve, unlike the seperate movies where it was humans and the creature. You could take time to focus on them both.

You know, I've loved Werewolves all my life, but one thing I really want is a good Werewolf flick.   >:( The last Werewolf movie I saw was Cursed... and wow, I have to say, I thought that movie really sucked. Infact the only good part in it was the beginning when the Werewolf grabs the girl out of the car. That was pretty well done, but the rest was just bleh.

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

Well, it's obvious that AVP R focused more on the visuals and not the script/story. So, just go into the movie, thinking that it's just a "VS" film. Nothing that should win any awards, but have all the Alien/Predator carnage we expect to see. This is a pop-corn, horror/sci-fi film that will show exactly what the film says it is...Aliens/Predators fighting. Unfortunately, because of Selarno's involvement, don't expect a great script/story.

Obviously, because the Strauses came from a FX background, they know how to make great visuals on-screen, but the problem is, they need to find a good story/script. A lot of FX people-turned directors have the same problem...look at Michael Bay, for example. His movies look great, but he sucks at telling stories, because of the shit scripts he is given.

Of course, it is possible to create a GOOD AVP story, but it depends on the people hired to write the story.

I don't know why Fox re-hired Selarno, if they wanted to do something "different" than the first AVP film.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Dec 24, 2007, 07:46:25 PM
.look at Michael Bay, for example. His movies look great, but he sucks at telling stories, because of the shit scripts he is given.

I thought that Bay's Transformers movie was my favourite movie of the year, but mysteriously enough, I haven't seen it more than once and I haven't bothered to buy the DVD either

Meanwhile I've just bought my third Blade Runner DVD set, the latest version of the soundtrack album and indeed the revised and expanded book on the making of the film

badass_badger

Im sorry, im still anticipating this movie with an orgasm of geekiness. I dont fall for dumbass reviews.

Space Disc Jockey

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Dec 24, 2007, 08:27:35 PM
Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Dec 24, 2007, 07:46:25 PM
.look at Michael Bay, for example. His movies look great, but he sucks at telling stories, because of the shit scripts he is given.

I thought that Bay's Transformers movie was my favourite movie of the year, but mysteriously enough, I haven't seen it more than once and I haven't bothered to buy the DVD either

Meanwhile I've just bought my third Blade Runner DVD set, the latest version of the soundtrack album and indeed the revised and expanded book on the making of the film

Well, Transformers looked great and had awesome action, but the script was lame. Again, Bay knows how to film great action and make his movies look damn good, but his story telling is lacking. I liked Transformers, but it could've been better.

Speaking of Blade Runner, I just bought the Final Cut yesterday. Have yet to watch it.

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: csutkakoma on Dec 24, 2007, 05:38:56 PM
Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 24, 2007, 05:34:44 PM
Quote from: csutkakoma on Dec 24, 2007, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 24, 2007, 05:19:15 PM
Someone on IMDB give it a possive review and said it was good because it was very old school and action pack. The review on movieweb was good as well.

Here another possive fan review

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758730/board/thread/92928504

The movieweb gave the movie 3.5/5 which is medicore. 70%.

70% is good, it pretty much a C+ or B- .

No 70% is not good. 80%+ is good.

A 70% is good.

This how the movie voting works

10: Perfect

9: Awesome

8: Great

7: Good

6: Fair

5: Mediocre

4: Poor

3: Bad

2: Terrible

1: Abysmal aka Crap

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Dec 24, 2007, 05:19:15 PM
Someone on IMDB give it a possive review and said it was good because it was very old school and action pack. The review on movieweb was good as well.

Here another possive fan review

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758730/board/thread/92928504

Note: who will like this film: those that give these films a huge thumbs up and say it was "action packed" and "unpretentious" and "kool" a lot.

Who will hate this film: everyone else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed