OPENING WEEKEND $$$

Started by beeko, Mar 28, 2007, 02:00:10 AM

Author
OPENING WEEKEND $$$ (Read 1,756 times)

beeko

beeko

any thoughts on what kind of money avp2 will make on the opening weekend
poss 35million ?? and be no 1 for a week or 2 ??

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Hopefully, if it makes 30 million and is number one I will be very happy, but now it's all up to the marketing.

beeko

beeko

yeah avp1 did about 30mill and was no 1 for 1 weekend this should do alot better i think

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Seriously? This will probably make 20 million and open 3 if it's lucky. f**k.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Oh and to back that up, just because this is a better film doesn't necessarily mean it will do better. People hated the first one and won't bother with a second plus it's rated R, less people.

SM

SM

There is not a shred of hard data to asses how it will do.

We don't know what it will be up against, nor do we know about any of the pre-release buzz.  It's impossible to do anything but guess.

Newsfop

Newsfop

It really depends on when the trailer is released and how the TV spots are handled. And it also depends on how well the potential viewers react to the idea also. For something like Skinwalkers for which I have only seen online ads for, I'm not so certain it will do well. On the other hand, AVP has a fairly established fanbase. That has a lot of momentum.

SM

SM

But then again it won that 'least anticipated' poll and I've heard an awful lot of people asking if it's going straight to DVD.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

What you have to remember is in 2004 many people and not just die hard fans either but any casual sci-fi/action enthusiast would be interested in watching a film called Alien vs. Predator, many having waited 14 years for it. Hence it did extrordinary well in its opening weekend cos no one knew just how shit it was going to be.
I believe this one will be the opposite, starting off slow and building up as word goes round its {hopefully} good. People will be cautious at first, and the R rating will slow it doen a little, but if the film genuinely is good then the box office will rise steadily, as apposed to AVP1's falling dramatically.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 28, 2007, 12:03:48 PM
I believe this one will be the opposite, starting off slow and building up as word goes round its {hopefully} good. People will be cautious at first, and the R rating will slow it doen a little, but if the film genuinely is good then the box office will rise steadily, as apposed to AVP1's falling dramatically.

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't think it will do great when it's first released (depends on promotion, I guess) but if the film's good, the takings will increase.

SM

SM

Nah, as a pure guess, I think it'll do okay in it's first weekend from the audience of the curious, and if it's any good it'll have a slow dropoff.  Don't see it being a sleeper at all.

cotty 1000

cotty 1000

if it is going to be successful then 3 things should happen.

1. release it on a date with no real competition.that means any big film,family or blockbuster.
no point releasing it on the same day as say 'national treasure 2' or 'another night in the museum'.

2.a top notch marketing campaign to rival 300.the trailer should be of the highest quality with different versions released at peak viewing times i.e  sports games ad breaks,24 ad break.

3.the predalien should be handled with care like venom,godzilla and the hulk.give people glimpses but nothing else.

the adult rating will effect the  box office revenue but taking everything into consideration it will make $20m topline.
it will only do more if it is critically recieved well. don't forget avp didn't have any pre release viewings to the critics,probably because they knew it was bobbins.a repeat of this would spell certain death for both franchises.   :o

Aliendrone

Aliendrone

i put a vote at between $46 million and $60 million. It all depends on how good they promo it. But Greg and Colin have a long time to work on that, so i know that they will do good on marketing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed