A:CM Movie Map Pack DLC Preview

Started by ikarop, Jun 11, 2013, 06:01:45 PM

Author
A:CM Movie Map Pack DLC Preview (Read 37,932 times)

SM

SM

Just click the triangular play button.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: ikarop on Jun 13, 2013, 01:51:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxMZkOehOSc#ws

"The stripes on Jonsey are in their EXACT location as they were in the movie. We pay attention to lots of little details like that, we're big fanboys you know?"

- Randy Pitchford

SM

SM

:D

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 12, 2013, 05:44:57 PM
The Auriga would have been nice, I think so many people want it is cause it was featured in the Escape mode in AVP2.  Either way I think we can all agree, this map pack puts the previous one to shame.
I didn't play much of the Escape mode from AvP2, I had no idea there was a level based on the Auriga.

Also that Jones easter egg has me grinning like an idiot. That's awesome and hilarious.  ;D

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: SM on Jun 13, 2013, 01:09:34 AM
QuoteAs I've said elsewhere, any opportunity to stand on the Nostromo gets my money.

Sadly, while the environment looks similar, the layout bears little resemblance to the Nostromo.

AVP2 : Leadworks
AVP2 : Auriga

And every other moviemap ever created never looked like the movie. Why? Because it doesn't work for a TDM/DM game. (Hell...Leadworks was broken with all the dead ends) See it more as a Nostromo "themed" map.

As much as I would like to see a complete accurate presentation of the Nostromo, I also realise this does not work for a TDM/DM game.  :)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Shit, it wouldn't even work for a singleplayer 'Alien'-themed game.

The ship's layout as seen in the movie worked fine for a movie, where the filmmakers had complete control over the characters, the Alien, the lighting, the camera locations, everything.

If you're making a video game where you don't have absolute control over the players' actions, they'd end up breaking things that maintain "the immersion" anyway, especially if the setting is 100% accurate to a movie that didn't have the variable of player free-will.

Actually I'll amend that, it wouldn't even work for a singleplayer 'Alien'-themed game, unless the player was playing as the Alien against AI-controlled humans. Then you could conceivably make it 100% accurate to the movie and player randomness wouldn't exactly be as big of a factor, since as the Alien every time you ran into a human you'd conceivably butcher them anyway. If you were forced to play as a human and be stalked by an Alien, though, players would find ways to break the immersion almost immediately. Definitely better to make a Nostromo "inspired" level with level design conceits tailored to the actual gameplay.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Bounds34 on Jun 13, 2013, 04:26:38 AM
Ok so how do we do it?  I can't figure it out.

Spoiler
You need to select the cattle prod and then activate it  :P
[close]

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 13, 2013, 05:05:18 AM
"The stripes on Jonsey are in their EXACT location as they were in the movie. We pay attention to lots of little details like that, we're big fanboys you know?"

- Randy Pitchford

"Failed again, Pitchford; the cat's name is Jones. Only his friends get to call him 'Jonesy' Go stand in the corner."  :laugh:

Bounds34

Bounds34

Quote from: ST on Jun 13, 2013, 12:27:15 PM
Quote from: Bounds34 on Jun 13, 2013, 04:26:38 AM
Ok so how do we do it?  I can't figure it out.

Spoiler
You need to select the cattle prod and then activate it  :P
[close]

Ok now I def know I'm being trolled. Damn I wanted this to be real. Well played sir.

Deathly_rYaN

I want to know why Exodus is in the movie map pack? It is not even in any of the films, unless they are considering A:CM to be a movie? HELL NO!

newbeing

newbeing

Played these maps a few nights ago and got to agree that they were pretty great. I even got to play with Nick from GBX who worked on a few of the maps. We have some good matches and he was an all around nice guy. Too bad only a few people will see the fruit of his labors.

SM

SM

Quote from: Hemi on Jun 13, 2013, 07:34:11 AM
QuoteAs I've said elsewhere, any opportunity to stand on the Nostromo gets my money.

Sadly, while the environment looks similar, the layout bears little resemblance to the Nostromo.

And every other moviemap ever created never looked like the movie. Why? Because it doesn't work for a TDM/DM game. (Hell...Leadworks was broken with all the dead ends) See it more as a Nostromo "themed" map.

As much as I would like to see a complete accurate presentation of the Nostromo, I also realise this does not work for a TDM/DM game.  :)

Yes, this is all moot, however, considering the layout of the Nostromo A deck is widely known and available, they've could've used that as a starting point and got that accurate, then added on from there.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2013, 12:58:22 AMthe layout of the Nostromo A deck is widely known and available, they've could've used that as a starting point and got that accurate, then added on from there.

I'd have loved that personally, but I suppose I can see why they didn't go that route. I'm not a video game connoisseur, but I think they felt the need to have at least two exits out of any location. The Nostromo's bridge certainly doesn't have that!  :-\

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2013, 12:58:22 AM
Quote from: Hemi on Jun 13, 2013, 07:34:11 AM

Yes, this is all moot, however, considering the layout of the Nostromo A deck is widely known and available, they've could've used that as a starting point and got that accurate, then added on from there.
His point (and mine) were that all the accuracy in the world is meaningless if it renders the map un-fun to play and runs counter to the gameplay.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed