Wonky Physics/BouncyBalls

Started by NickisSmart, Aug 19, 2014, 01:43:42 PM

Author
Wonky Physics/BouncyBalls (Read 1,684 times)

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

It seems to me that this would be a relatively simple fix. Granted, I'm no programmer, but all you'd have to do is change some values, correct? Regardless, I can't stand using "grenades" that bounce or otherwise behave unpredictably. For example, if I go to throw an object and I'm not sure where it's going to wind up, it's going to make me not want to use the object. It doesn't help that a lot of the items that Ripley can make seem to be of the build-it-and-toss it variety.

Other questions regarding the physics of other objects in the game. I'm assuming that everything can interact with the player/NPCs? Will you be able to pick up objects like, say, Half-Life or Doom 3, even if you can't put said object in your pack? Does the Alien bump into things or knock them over?

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: NickisSmart on Aug 19, 2014, 01:43:42 PM
It seems to me that this would be a relatively simple fix. Granted, I'm no programmer, but all you'd have to do is change some values, correct?

Lololol, no, no at all.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

: (

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I am a programmer. Programming your own physics is hard as shit.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Someone told me the devs fashioned a proprietary physics engine for the game. What does this mean, and does the footage released thus far suggest they've taken full advantage of it?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

They probably used an already existing physics engine like Havok or something. Whether it's being fully used or not? Who knows?

WinterActual

WinterActual

Lol, if its Havok its definitely not proprietary then  :laugh:

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

lol, I know. I don't think I've heard or seen anything about the physics for this game. I'm not really all that interested in it.

WinterActual

WinterActual

I am not interested in it too. There's not enough stuff in this game that's worth implementing physics for.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Well, my main concept was the physics of the objects you throw, which there seem to be quite a few of. I suppose while being hunted and killed, the physics of a noisemaker is going to be the last thing on one's mind. But if the physics are truly bad or downright unpredictable, it could very well discourage use of the item. The only reason I used grenades in Doom 3 was because they exploded on hit. Otherwise, they'd bounce around too unpredictably and always miss.

On the other hand, the function of most of these items is less offensive, so perhaps it doesn't matter. And the Molotov does explode on hit, I suppose.

Was just curious, either way.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: NickisSmart on Aug 20, 2014, 06:57:10 AM
Well, my main concept was the physics of the objects you throw, which there seem to be quite a few of. I suppose while being hunted and killed, the physics of a noisemaker is going to be the last thing on one's mind. But if the physics are truly bad or downright unpredictable, it could very well discourage use of the item. The only reason I used grenades in Doom 3 was because they exploded on hit. Otherwise, they'd bounce around too unpredictably and always miss.

On the other hand, the function of most of these items is less offensive, so perhaps it doesn't matter. And the Molotov does explode on hit, I suppose.

Was just curious, either way.

I did notice when the noisemaker was tossed, it was wonky.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Right, and the Alien goes where it goes, so if it lands near the user, that could be very bad, indeed. I haven't heard anyone complain about it, so it must not be a huge issue, thankfully.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed