ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,956 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 04:11:28 AM
Not to reopen an old argument, but many people are saying this "canon bible" that is being released is Fox's attempt to reboot the canon and that they are deciding with stories to cut.  Out of curiosity, where did this rumor originate from and how?

It came from James A. Moore when he had mentioned that Fox was going to be releasing a canon chart. Considering that it came from a very reliable source, and the fact that Fox had considered in dropping Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection... Well, I'd say it's perhaps a little more than a rumor. Lots of signs seem to suggest it. It seems to be greatly affecting the Alien side..

As for the Predator side of things, and that's where I'm most concerned.. Well.. From how I see it, if one is affected-- so is the other.

predxeno

Fox - Screwing Alien Fans Since 1992

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 05:42:56 AM
Fox - Screwing Alien Fans Since 1992

I don't mind reboots. As a matter of fact I welcome them.. Provided that they are complete start overs. This.. this is more of a mass retcon than anything else. Essentially, this is what Disney did with Star Wars but Fox is doing it with Alien-Predator. You could even argue that this is essentially what G85 did when Toho discarded the Showa era films for the Heisei.. But what Fox is doing can be seen as akin to what G85 did, or that viewpoint is simply wishful thinking.

PredXeno, let me say that I completely feel your frustration and I don't like the mass retcon as much as you do. You can either find something else to be interested in and move on.. or.. apply fanfiction and adhere to fanon and pay no mind to the new canon.

predxeno

I was actually wondering what was possessing Fox to consider "retconning" Alien 3 and A:R.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 05:59:06 AM
I was actually wondering what was possessing Fox to consider "retconning" Alien 3 and A:R.

Either fan reception or fan pressure. I don't know.

I mean critically speaking, according to Wikipedia.. Alien Resurrection got mixed reviews. And I would think Alien 3 has been forgiven by fans considering the fact that we've got the Assembly Cut.

predxeno

predxeno

What's interesting to note is that if Fox considers Alien: Sea of Sorrows as canon then it'll have to take the AVP films as canon to some extent as well since the book references the movies, specifically AVPR.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 06:26:29 AM
What's interesting to note is that if Fox considers Alien:Sea of Sorrows as canon then it'll have to take the AVP films as canon to some extent as well since the book references the movies, specifically AVPR.

Wait.. WHAT?! HOW?!

predxeno

predxeno

Yeah, lol, it's mentioned that there were rumors that the reason Wey-Yu was so technologically advanced was because it got its tech through alien technology.  Assuming Fox nixes all the Aliens comics and novels that introduces new species of aliens intelligent enough to produce technology then the only alien species that we have met to produce such tech are the Predators and the Engineers; there's the obvious reference to Pred tech in AVPR and how it influenced future human space travel, but there's no evidence at all of human acquisition of Engineer technology especially since their tech is bio-organic.

RakaiThwei

This.. I... I am so confused now..  ::)

Can we get a direct quote from the book?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 06:26:29 AMWhat's interesting to note is that if Fox considers Alien: Sea of Sorrows as canon then it'll have to take the AVP films as canon to some extent as well since the book references the movies, specifically AVPR.

I don't remember that at all.

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 21, 2014, 06:50:14 AM
This.. I... I am so confused now..  ::)

Can we get a direct quote from the book?

"Rumor had it that that the company had made several of their more radical leaps in technology by retrofitting alien artifacts for 'new' advancements."

-p. 84

RakaiThwei

Yup.. I'm even more confused.  :-\

TheBATMAN

Considering the book also mentions the company have found dozens of alien remains from differing species I would say it's related to that more so than anything from AVPR.

If this new canon bible is real, and at one point Fox were thinking about exorcising 3 and Resurrection, then it's hardly likely Requiem is gonna be included now is it?

SM

A rumour of non specific advancements from non specific artifacts means AvP:R is canon.

Looks like the ol' predxeno, trying to make something out of nothing magic, is back.  ;D

Ultramorph

I think Sea of Sorrows is more referring to things like Arcturian tech and possibly Engineer tech that Galgo brings back after Fire and Stone.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed