SEQUEL NEWS: Fox Struggling with Hiring Writers

Started by Gazz, Mar 27, 2013, 05:50:54 PM

Author
SEQUEL NEWS: Fox Struggling with Hiring Writers (Read 59,299 times)

atlantis

Juggernaut approaching paradise

T Dog

I'm thinking now that they (FOX) have returned to the ALIEN 3 scenario where they are avoiding trying to make the "planet of the Alien" film due to cost and the potential difficulties of production.

They really shouldn't have spent a gigantic budget making a silly remake of ALIEN with no real story when they could have done what they did in about a half hour and then spent the rest of Prometheus on the Engineer home world.

Sure Prometheus made money but it turned a lot of people off and a sequel isn't a sure-fire success story so I'm guessing they are looking for a more budget conscious sequel unfortunately.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 14, 2013, 12:10:08 AM
I said it before, but I still think that when we meet up with Shaw again she should be a bit bio-mechanical herself, like the Engineer's suit at the end of Prometheus (so that she can connect to the Juggernaut's cryopods).

Yay! Let's turn her into a Machiko Noguchi clone! :laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

She's already implied to be, then, given she was able to fly one of them ships.

Blacklabel

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 20, 2013, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 14, 2013, 12:10:08 AM
I said it before, but I still think that when we meet up with Shaw again she should be a bit bio-mechanical herself, like the Engineer's suit at the end of Prometheus (so that she can connect to the Juggernaut's cryopods).

Yay! Let's turn her into a Machiko Noguchi clone! :laugh:

Lol Not really. Even if she turns a bit biomechanical, she still wouldnt be "welcomed" into Engineer society. :P As per Prometheus, humans are all meant to be destroyed.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 20, 2013, 08:37:17 PM
She's already implied to be, then, given she was able to fly one of them ships.

I thought it was David's head doing that.

Blacklabel

Not showing exactly how the ship is being operated really leaves lots of open options to explore in the sequel :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 20, 2013, 09:12:41 PM
How.

Quote from: Blacklabel on Apr 20, 2013, 09:16:02 PM
Not showing exactly how the ship is being operated really leaves lots of open options to explore in the sequel :P
But they showed it when the Engineer seats up and does fladhy shit with the holograms.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 21, 2013, 04:34:32 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 20, 2013, 09:12:41 PM
How.

Hook him up to the computers, or have him direct Shaw. He was able to decipher their language pretty damned fast.

The Dark Shape

I feel like the central problem to a Prometheus sequel is that which plagued the concept of an Alien prequel for years. Ridley's concept was to make a film centered on the Space Jockeys. He frustrated the idea because its damn near impossible to make an accessible film to audiences about Alien beings that don't feature humans themselves. Think about it, a film where creatures interact who do not speak a language that anyone can understand. A culture that is entirely beyond comprehension because of the nature of what it is. How can anyone, even someone as talented as Ridley Scott be expected to deliver a product that would revolve around that and STILL involve mainstream audiences.

He was sold on the Spaihts pitch because Jon found a way to make it a human story that bisected with the Jockey story. It certainly wasn't a groundbreaking idea; voyage into space, discovery of intelligent life, etc, but it worked in terms of getting the audience to relate to what was happening on screen. It became a story of man and much less a story of Engineers. We've now been teased that the next installment will be the story of the Engineers and the same problem still exists, how does Ridley make an engrossing and enthralling cinematic movie about a culture that has only tenuous roots to humanity?

So we're back to the notion that Ridley has to explain, maybe not fully, but on a much bigger canvas, has to explain and represent this Jockey race and craft a two hour plus motion picture around them and their culture. That's the territory he's boxed himself into, only in this occasion, there is a human and a robot to place the story around. The next script will truly have to be creative and ingenious to make the idea fly.

Darth Vile

Quote from: The Dark Shape on Apr 23, 2013, 01:51:36 AM
I feel like the central problem to a Prometheus sequel is that which plagued the concept of an Alien prequel for years. Ridley's concept was to make a film centered on the Space Jockeys. He frustrated the idea because its damn near impossible to make an accessible film to audiences about Alien beings that don't feature humans themselves. Think about it, a film where creatures interact who do not speak a language that anyone can understand. A culture that is entirely beyond comprehension because of the nature of what it is. How can anyone, even someone as talented as Ridley Scott be expected to deliver a product that would revolve around that and STILL involve mainstream audiences.

He was sold on the Spaihts pitch because Jon found a way to make it a human story that bisected with the Jockey story. It certainly wasn't a groundbreaking idea; voyage into space, discovery of intelligent life, etc, but it worked in terms of getting the audience to relate to what was happening on screen. It became a story of man and much less a story of Engineers. We've now been teased that the next installment will be the story of the Engineers and the same problem still exists, how does Ridley make an engrossing and enthralling cinematic movie about a culture that has only tenuous roots to humanity?

So we're back to the notion that Ridley has to explain, maybe not fully, but on a much bigger canvas, has to explain and represent this Jockey race and craft a two hour plus motion picture around them and their culture. That's the territory he's boxed himself into, only in this occasion, there is a human and a robot to place the story around. The next script will truly have to be creative and ingenious to make the idea fly.
I agree with all that. If you can't humanise a story you have problems. That was always the biggest risk with going back to the origin of the SJ's as it had to involve human interaction in some shape or form for it to work.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: The Dark Shape on Apr 23, 2013, 01:51:36 AMWe've now been teased that the next installment will be the story of the Engineers and the same problem still exists, how does Ridley make an engrossing and enthralling cinematic movie about a culture that has only tenuous roots to humanity?

Tenuous roots? Did you even watch the movie? :P

Quote from: Darth Vile on Apr 25, 2013, 10:23:44 AMThat was always the biggest risk with going back to the origin of the SJ's as it had to involve human interaction in some shape or form for it to work.

I am sure that we can all agree that a sub-titled movie starring a cast of Space Jockeys speaking native alien would of been a popular flop, but it doesn't follow that in order to make a popular movie about aliens one has to humanise the aliens.

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 27, 2013, 11:48:33 AM
Quote from: The Dark Shape on Apr 23, 2013, 01:51:36 AMWe've now been teased that the next installment will be the story of the Engineers and the same problem still exists, how does Ridley make an engrossing and enthralling cinematic movie about a culture that has only tenuous roots to humanity?

Tenuous roots? Did you even watch the movie? :P

Quote from: Darth Vile on Apr 25, 2013, 10:23:44 AMThat was always the biggest risk with going back to the origin of the SJ's as it had to involve human interaction in some shape or form for it to work.

I am sure that we can all agree that a sub-titled movie starring a cast of Space Jockeys speaking native alien would of been a popular flop, but it doesn't follow that in order to make a popular movie about aliens one has to humanise the aliens.
I wasn't necessarily talking about humanising the SJ's... although there is clearly a logistical requirement to make them work on set/on screen - otherwise it could end up looking like Avatar meets Return of the Jedi's Jabba the Hutt.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

While it would certainly depend on the script and the director (if Ridley is gven the boot). I can see Fox pulling and Aliens and making the sequel more action packed, perhaps dealing with a rescue team sent to find out what happened to the Pormetheus? Again, whether or not it works would depend entirely on the script.

RobThom

Everybody who feels sorry for fox and ridley after they hired lindelof,
read his re-write,
and then filmed his re-write,
please line up single file in front of this giant steamroller.

And then close your eyes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed