Alien 5 Will Be Delayed By Avatar Sequels and The Gone World

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 14, 2016, 05:57:07 AM

Author
Alien 5 Will Be Delayed By Avatar Sequels and The Gone World (Read 37,356 times)

Corporal Hicks

Alien 5 will be delayed by the Avatar sequels and The Gone World according to new comments by Sigourney Weaver. Yesterday, Entertainment Weekly published an interview with Sigourney Weaver in the lead up to the 30th anniversary reunion at San Diego Comic Con.

Most sites are focusing on the comments about giving Ripley an ending (“it's a great story and it's satisfying to me to give this woman an ending“), something that was actually reported on three months ago or what appears to be a mis-interpretated quote regarding Alien 5 exploring the “Alien’s motivations” (“the script itself has so much in it that's so original, but also really satisfies the, I would say, the primal needs of the aliens“).

However, there’s a comment in there that few seem to be focusing on and that’s that it maybe sometime before Alien 5 begins filming…

"Now that we're waiting for that [Alien: Covenant], I have a couple of Avatars to do and Neill has The Gone World," Weaver says. "So we'll have to see what happens when we get back, when those projects are over."

Alien 5 will be delayed by Avatar sequels and The Gone World according to a new interview with Sigourney Weaver.

Alien 5 will be delayed by Avatar sequels and The Gone World according to a new interview with Sigourney Weaver.

Ridley Scott had always said it was his intention to film Alien: Covenant first and we had assumed that work would begin on Neill Blomkamp’s Alien not long after. This had previously been speculated to be so that Fox wasn’t saturating the market and having 2 Alien related films coming out in quick succession. However, it’s possible that had that request not been made then we’d have already seen Alien 5.

"Well, we have a great script. Fox asked us to delay so Ridley Scott could shoot his [second] Prometheus movie. That was too bad because we would have already done it by now."

It is possible that Weaver maybe able to start work on Alien 5 after Avatar 2 is done but Avatar 2 isn’t due for release until December 2018. Weaver did say she hoped it wouldn’t be too long though.

"I hope it won't be a few [years]. I hope it'll be a couple. But we'll see. Yeah."

With both James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver attending the reunion panel, we may hopefully get some more information about the timing. Blomkamp’s The Gone World currently has no release date set. Thanks to Omega Underground for the news.

whiterabbit

Well, I'll go grab the fork...

rex

This f**king sucks so f**king much, I mean we don't live forever I don't want to wait 5 years to watch this film , in case fox hasn't notice weaver isn't that young these days because the film seems like an alternative sequel from aliens, its the fans that want this film and will support it the most, im not so sure weave may be able to deliver a stellar performance comparative to her Oscar nominated performance in aliens in 5 years time, if anything the majority of alien fans would want this over Alien Covenant and fox Prometheus didn't leave that good of a taste in people's mouth once they watched the film yes there was momentum towards its release yes people where excited to view it but no there not that keen on a sequel which fox knows all else the title would be Prometheus 2 regardless if the ships no longer in the film or not. I have to say cause I am pissed off we don't have alien 5 now I ain't watching Alien Covenant in theatre's and that's a promise.

xor_ew

I thought it's serious project but it's just something hidden in the fog... Bad news...

DaddyYautja

Dont blame those movies, blame Fox for pushing it back because of Prom 2.

Are all those people supposed to wait a home until Fox gives the ok?

They are going to do other stuff. And im sure the Avatar movies were decided on a long time ago and they had a nice space that Fox wasted.

Jekku

I'm almost certain we'll see Alien 5 before any Avatar sequels.  :P

RakaiThwei

Well this just.. doesn't seem to really be going anywhere any time soon. And a part of me had been excited to see where Alien 5 aka Alien 3.2 would be going with the alternative timeline. If Fox keeps on doing this... there is a good chance that this will end up going nowhere, and fans will no longer be invested, Blomkamp might drop the project out of exhaustion of it being pushed back.

More and more, I'm convinced that this franchise is on it's last life line.

tasteslikexeno

tasteslikexeno

Rex, if you don't see Covenant - as other disgruntled fanboys may do also - there won't be an Alien 5 lol

Thomas H.

For all we know, Weaver isn't even in all the Avatar sequels. ;)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Hmm this depends on How much of an involvement Sigourney will have in the Avatar sequels, its likely she'll have a presence amoung Eywa, an Obi-Wan force ghost type of return, not doubt be a reoccurring supporting character with limited involvement, but its sure to take up a fair amount of time from her schedule.

As for Neill's Gone World his films usually take 3 years to make, from conception, filming and post production, it may arrive on 2018/2019 or later. It would have been fitting for Neill's alien sequel to have been delivered on 2019 on the 40th Anniversary of the original Alien.

But with the shifted delays and the rumor of Ridley Scott turning the concept of Alien prequel into an unnecessary overly long saga we'll probably have to wait 5 years.

Corporal Hicks

I'm hoping we'll get some more information about the timing of the Avatar sequels at SDCC. With both Weaver and Cameron being there it seems like the kind of thing that may come up. Is he supposing to be filming them back-to-back? I haven't really been following the Avatars.

It's crappy news and I'm disappointed to hear it.

Alien³

Can't wait to see Elderly Cripley in action!

windebieste

I'm looking forward to what will be revealed at the upcoming Comic Con.   You can bet Weaver will be pressed hard for some info on this movie by fans in attendance.

Nah... it's not the end of the franchise by a long shot.  'ALIEN: Isolation' was this series Renaissance.  Scott is making a trilogy of 'ALIEN' movies.  We are getting tons of awesome toys, comics and books.   This is Great time to be a fan of this series.  We'll see 'ALIEN 5' go into production yet. 

The only thing that's on it's 'last life line' is the nonsensical belief that Ripley is indispensible.   If it means a retcon is avoided, then I'm actually all in favorfor the delay.

-Windebieste.

Xenomania

Development hell. :P I'd much rather see Isolation 2 or more good Alien games anyway.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 14, 2016, 08:08:57 AM
The only thing that's on it's 'last life line' is the nonsensical belief that Ripley is indispensible.   If it means a retcon is avoided, then I'm actually all in favorfor the delay.

This really needs to happen soon. We keep hearing about 3.2 being a passing of the torch which I'll be glad to see happen but I still think the retcon is completely unnecessary. But like I keep saying...as long as it's good.

Quote from: Xenomania on Jul 14, 2016, 08:32:20 AM
Development hell. :P I'd much rather see Isolation 2 or more good Alien games anyway.

I'm wondering if we might see something coming out in time for Covenant. Perhaps there's something that's in the works all sneaky sneaky.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed