Why did the Pulse Rifle sound differently in Alien 3

Started by Inverse Effect, Apr 13, 2022, 08:04:54 AM

Author
Why did the Pulse Rifle sound differently in Alien 3 (Read 8,426 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Yes, it was bad.  So bad.

Spoiler

acrediblesource

i dont get you man. What does that bad mean. Lets converso for the next 4 months about this bad. just let this cycle of nonsensensible convo continue add infinitum til some one drops dead first.

Local Trouble

Continuity > artistic license

Are you sure you're credible?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 15, 2022, 02:21:00 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 14, 2022, 11:24:09 PM
I guess his point is that continuity of set design in a sequel is unimportant because they hired new set designers to make something different? ???

The producers thought people wouldnt look  too much into a few seconds of the intro and make a problem out of what they were seeing.
Little did they know Joe Schmo saw the cryotube,threw his pop corn,  and left the theatre. The normies heard him mumble something about "continuity" on the way out.

I'm getting real bored of the attitude towards discussion and other fans. Enough please.

Inverse Effect

Just wanted to read up on everyone's thoughts since the original Post i made about it.

Headcanon that it uses a different ammo? I think this is the most plausible in-universe explanation tbh. Hmm, i always thought though the Wayland Merc/Guards whatever you call them simply uses a different issued version of the military Marines Pulse Rifle hense the different sound.

Local Trouble

It only occurred to me when I stopped to consider that corporate security forces may not need military-grade armor piercing ammo in most cases.

PsyKore

I think what makes Alien 3's cryotubes so jarring is because of how much attention to detail Cameron put into the narcissus, so you kinda expect the next movies in the series to have that same attention to detail/continuity. I do, however, like the idea that the opening sequence is a POV from Ripley's dream state.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 30, 2022, 09:28:28 AM
I think what makes Alien 3's cryotubes so jarring is because of how much attention to detail Cameron put into the narcissus, so you kinda expect the next movies in the series to have that same attention to detail/continuity. I do, however, like the idea that the opening sequence is a POV from Ripley's dream state.

Maybe not perfect, but Ripley's harpoon gun can be seen in the Aliens opening sequence. So yeah, Cameron indeed paid careful attention to the work of his predecesor.

Which means you've brought up good points in the discussion., and I would add that...

Spoiler
When tears of sadness streaks your face, you are not alone.

When you feel lost and out of place, you are not alone.

When it seems you can't carry on...and everything you do is wrong, you are not alone.

When you open your presents on the holiday, you are not alone.

When nothing can seem to spoil your day, you are not alone.

When it seems like you made it through, but there's no one to share this feeling with you, you are not alone.

You'll never be alone when I'm around.
I'll cheer you up when you are down, and whether you are happy or feeling blue, I will always be there for you.

So when you feel alone and in dark, just keep me in your heart, and you will never be alone.
[close]

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 29, 2022, 10:55:29 PM
It only occurred to me when I stopped to consider that corporate security forces may not need military-grade armor piercing ammo in most cases.
Explosive tipped, even.

Aaron's body and Morse's knee don't get blown apart.

Inverse Effect

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 30, 2022, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 30, 2022, 09:28:28 AMI think what makes Alien 3's cryotubes so jarring is because of how much attention to detail Cameron put into the narcissus, so you kinda expect the next movies in the series to have that same attention to detail/continuity. I do, however, like the idea that the opening sequence is a POV from Ripley's dream state.

Maybe not perfect, but Ripley's harpoon gun can be seen in the Aliens opening sequence. So yeah, Cameron indeed paid careful attention to the work of his predecesor.

Which means you've brought up good points in the discussion., and I would add that...

Spoiler
When tears of sadness streaks your face, you are not alone.

When you feel lost and out of place, you are not alone.

When it seems you can't carry on...and everything you do is wrong, you are not alone.

When you open your presents on the holiday, you are not alone.

When nothing can seem to spoil your day, you are not alone.

When it seems like you made it through, but there's no one to share this feeling with you, you are not alone.

You'll never be alone when I'm around.
I'll cheer you up when you are down, and whether you are happy or feeling blue, I will always be there for you.

So when you feel alone and in dark, just keep me in your heart, and you will never be alone.
[close]

I never noticed that before, damn.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 17, 2022, 01:03:52 AMContinuity > artistic license

I am unsure if I agree.

Local Trouble

Isn't that your stance on beep-boop Necrons?

[cancerblack]

That's really more of a New Coke type thing.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 01, 2022, 12:14:57 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 29, 2022, 10:55:29 PMIt only occurred to me when I stopped to consider that corporate security forces may not need military-grade armor piercing ammo in most cases.

Explosive tipped, even.

Aaron's body and Morse's knee don't get blown apart.

That struck me when rewatching it, recently, yeah.

In fairness, the comics and games keep popularising how shooting people with the kind of ammunition from the films would act just like being shot with today's M-4 or whatever. But realistically, it's the kind of ammunition which is used by helicopter gunships to chew up lightly armoured vehicles and bunkers. People don't comprehend just how violent it would be for the human body to get hit by something like that.

Morse's entire leg should have ceased to exist. They'd be like miniature grenades and, going by the effect of how the Aliens explode, they seem fused to explode after entering targets.

Aliens aren't weak. It's a testament to how strongly armoured they are that they need to be hit several times before it has those effects on them. A human would become a fine red mist with meaty chunks landing a good distance away.

It reminds me of how 'Warhammer 40,000' games and comics are often criticised by its own fandom for having bolters being depicted like they're today's machine guns, when what they're actually firing is meant to be like miniaturised rocket pods.

The cryotubes thing was, famously, Fincher simply having a preference for the Narcissus aesthetic and putting it in there for that reason. Because of continuity, however, it's right up there with the teleporting eggs for being grounds to retcon it all as a dream, if a future story ever does that.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 12, 2022, 04:41:33 PMThey'd be like miniature grenades and, going by the effect of how the Aliens explode, they seem fused to explode after entering targets.
I'd have to re-check the USCM Tech Manual but I think they're described as doing exactly that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed