Katherine Waterston on Alien: Covenant 2 - "I Haven’t Heard Anything in Ages"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 24, 2018, 11:19:48 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston on Alien: Covenant 2 - "I Haven’t Heard Anything in Ages" (Read 29,675 times)

Scorpio

Tradition has it, we get an Alien movie every 5-6 years, so I don't know why people would expect another one so soon. 

SM

It's nothing to do with tradition.  It's success of previous installament, willingness to move on to another, and being able to get their shit together.

PsyKore

I think what gets in the way of making more frequent films is the studio's almost unrealistic expectation to bring in huge box office results with them, or reclaim the glory of the first films. Ridley seemed pretty keen on making heaps more Alien movies, but at the end of the day it seems like it's governed by results and fan reaction, which is sort of a shame. They really should just settle on making decent films with not as much pressure on bringing in big bucks. Personally, I think Prometheus and Covenant did well and most people liked them, but it's still not enough.

Whos_Nick

Prometheus and Covenant cost way too much imo. These films should go to a mid range budget well under 100 million as there's much less risk and greater chance for reward.

SM

They were cheap, particularly Covenant, by current standards.

bb-15

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 05, 2018, 09:19:37 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on May 05, 2018, 07:55:34 PM
It depends on the source whether the Disney / Fox merger will include all the Fox movie division.
Some sources say the merger will include Deadpool (X-Men) and the Alien franchise.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Alien franchise was included in the deal. It's only Fox News Corp that still belongs to Murdoch. It just looks like they may not be using the 20th Century Fox brand anymore which will be a pity if true. Makes more sense to me to keep it and finance and distribute all the stuff that might be inappropriate for the Disney brand under Fox as a separate entity.

The latest I've read is that Comcast is trying to outbid Disney for the Fox TV/movie assets.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/comcast-preparing-hostile-bid-for-fox-properties-and-control-of-hulu/

Just from an Alien franchise POV, with my speculation, a Comcast takeover of Fox would lead to a better chance of another Alien movie being done br Ridley Scott.

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2018, 08:49:02 PM
They were cheap, particularly Covenant, by current standards.

Correct.
And "Prometheus" made 3x its production budget at the box office which is good for an Alien movie after "Aliens".
"Covenant" cost less than $100 million which is very cheap for a high quality space travel science fiction movie.

Imo the franchise just needs to be owned by a studio which is satisfied with a little profit on a new Alien film and isn't expecting a blockbuster.

;)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: bb-15 on May 08, 2018, 10:02:30 PM
The latest I've read is that Comcast is trying to outbid Disney for the Fox TV/movie assets.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/comcast-preparing-hostile-bid-for-fox-properties-and-control-of-hulu/

Just from an Alien franchise POV, with my speculation, a Comcast takeover of Fox would lead to a better chance of another Alien movie being done br Ridley Scott.

Yeah, it seems the deal between Fox and Disney hasn't been cemented yet. But here's the correct thread for the Disney/Comcast discussion:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=59121.375

QuoteJust from an Alien franchise POV, with my speculation, a Comcast takeover of Fox would lead to a better chance of another Alien movie being done br Ridley Scott.

Possibly, if Universal Pictures (owned by Comcast) continues the franchise. Scott has done a couple of films for Universal so he has the connections. But even if Disney buys the Alien franchise I don't see why they won't hire Scott either.

BishopShouldGo

My prediction: Ridley ends up directing a Ripley movie. A post-Aliens movie.

With Fassbender possibly reprising his irresistible David.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 09, 2018, 03:40:50 PM
Possibly, if Universal Pictures (owned by Comcast) continues the franchise. Scott has done a couple of films for Universal so he has the connections. But even if Disney buys the Alien franchise I don't see why they won't hire Scott either.

Especially with him getting in there with Merlin. Not that I'd want Scott to helm another Alien film.

Huggs

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 09, 2018, 06:01:15 PM

Especially with him getting in there with Merlin. Not that I'd want Scott to helm another Alien film.

Scott is a fantastic filmmaker. He attracts great talent, and his movies look beautiful. His vision for the Alien films though, is questionable. As a lifelong Alien fan, I'd rather he not do another.

PsyKore

I love Ridley's vision, myself. The films themselves just needed a little more ironing out. It would be great, too, if he could make them longer than 2 hours.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Huggs on May 09, 2018, 10:35:35 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 09, 2018, 06:01:15 PM

Scott is a fantastic filmmaker. He attracts great talent, and his movies look beautiful. His vision for the Alien films though, is questionable. As a lifelong Alien fan, I'd rather he not do another.
Who else but Ridley Scott could make a film with the literally perfect ending that Covenant had? I'd rather have a movie with ups and downs that touches your heart at the end than just a decent action flick.

SiL

Literally any other filmmaker.

whiterabbit

Quote from: SiL on May 10, 2018, 09:22:11 PM
You literally shouldn't be throwing around "literally" that easily.

Still to be honest about it, fat chance if we're going to get another alien movie any time soon. I mean Ii hope there will be one but the odds are not that great.

tleilaxu

Quote from: SiL on May 10, 2018, 09:22:11 PM
We all know that's objectively incorrect, whether you liked Covenant as a whole or not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed