Designing The Unknown, The Story Behind The Lost Predator’s Ship

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 30, 2019, 10:06:37 AM

Author
Designing The Unknown, The Story Behind The Lost Predator’s Ship (Read 4,649 times)

Corporal Hicks

One of the most iconic moments in the Predator franchise occurs when Detective Mike Harrigan, played by actor Danny Glover, pursues an ailing City Hunter Predator onto its spacecraft during the thrilling finale of Predator 2.

In a battle to the death, Harrigan ultimately triumphs over his alien foe, only to discover his victory was being observed by a pack of intergalactic hunters which are now often referred to as Lost Predators, who shockingly respond not in hostility, but admiration and respect toward the Detective's prowess.

While little has been made known about the Lost Predators since the film's 1991 release (a name given to them by creature effects designer Stan Winston once the suits went missing shortly after production), nothing has remained more mysterious than the spacecraft they traveled in.

Pulsing lights. Strange hieroglyphics. Vaporous fog. Nothing has captured the imagination of Predator fans more than this stunning and unequivocally exotic alien craft. But what were the inspirations behind one of the most incredible and unique spaceship designs in cinematic history? And what mystery lies within those glowing walls?

Click here to continue reading the entire article!

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Corporal Hicks

Absolutely fantastic work, Voodoo! A lot of really interesting stuff in here that I genuinely wasn't aware of.

Voodoo Magic

Appreciate it Hicks! 

I'm just really enthusiastic to get this information out there because so much of this was just in print, subsequently remaining unknown and unrecorded in terms of the internet.  But now documented it has a chance to thrive in fandom and spread through wikipedia's and such, so I'm super happy about that. :)

Master

Great! I'm absolutely eager to read this!

Voodoo Magic

I hope you enjoy it Master!  :)

Master

I did! I did allot, it's so great to know even more about those movies.  Thanks allot!

Voodoo Magic

Great! Thanks for your thanks! :)

Immortan Jonesy

Who would have thought  ;D

Spoiler
[close]

That was an outstanding reading Voodoo!  :)

I dig your theory tackling the, in universe, biological origins of the Lost Predator's Ship. Really interesting  8)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 31, 2019, 01:49:22 AM
Who would have thought  ;D

Spoiler
[close]

That was an outstanding reading Voodoo!  :)

I dig your theory tackling the, in universe, biological origins of the Lost Predator's Ship. Really interesting  8)

Thanks for the feedback!

Very, very much appreciated Jonesy!  :)

Trioxin

Unpopular opinion but Predator 2 is my 100 hands down favorite movie of the franchise. Interesting read thanks for the info.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trioxin on Dec 31, 2019, 02:45:18 AM
Unpopular opinion but Predator 2 is my 100 hands down favorite movie of the franchise. Interesting read thanks for the info.

MY MAN! :)

Corporal Hicks

I love the idea of the Predators enslaving some spacefaring creature (I added a couple more into your last section, dunno if you saw that?). I think that's really frigging interesting.

Samhain13

Another article from Voodoo.  ;D

Great job there.

Voodoo Magic

I know! When I write these I almost come across as intelligent!  Almost.  ;D

Thanks Samhain.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 31, 2019, 08:20:22 AM
I love the idea of the Predators enslaving some spacefaring creature (I added a couple more into your last section, dunno if you saw that?). I think that's really frigging interesting.

I did catch that!  All I had was Encounter at Farpoint in my back pocket. Farscape and Lexx I had no idea about. I never caught those shows for no particular reason, but now you've got me interested!  :)

I would love to read how this whole event occurs in a Predator comic one day. Maybe enslaving one of these creatures would be the equivalent to an Amish Barn Raising where the whole tribe goes out and participates.

Maybe the Predators would inject some sort of impairing neurotoxin to neutralize the creature. Then again, perhaps it is less brutal than that.  Perhaps it's more like breaking in a horse or domesticating an animal.

Kailem

Very cool article! The ship has always been one of my favourite "peek behind the curtain" moments of the Predator films, so it's cool to read about all these abandoned ideas and inspirations behind the design etc.

I like the idea of a hologram projector concealing the entrance to the ship in an earlier draft. Definitely a much better idea that we actually went inside of it though, rather than having the movie end just outside. It would have felt like too much of a tease and a bit unsatisfying.

And great new images of the matte painting too! It's a shame to hear that the front was never designed in any way, even in just a sketch or something so the artists could be sure of how everything lined up and what parts of the front might be visible from behind etc. I feel like that's almost been the "holy grail" of the Lost Tribe ship, but alas I guess outside of the NECA Cinemachines figure (which I like) I guess it's just not meant to be. :laugh:

Very nice read indeed!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed