AvPR Interview with Chelah Horsdal

Started by Darkness, Oct 02, 2007, 07:48:09 PM

Author
AvPR Interview with Chelah Horsdal (Read 17,174 times)

SiL

I really fail to see what the beef against is. Could someone make it clear rather than stating their incredulousness and scoffing?

Uncanny Antman

Apparently not. 

I also fail to see why I'm being charged with arguing semantics.

gases

jesus christ!
Do you need background to be scared shitless of aliens? pretty sure you dont..
Don't compare starwars, completely different roles they had to play
damn you cry about everything

ahh sorry but i had to say it

Gates

Quote from: SiL on Oct 03, 2007, 06:56:35 AM
Could someone make it clear rather than stating their incredulousness and scoffing?

No...it's my nature...also...I feel I've made my point fairly obvious...no need for regurgitation...

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 03, 2007, 08:34:11 AM
I also fail to see why I'm being charged with arguing semantics.

Notice the emoticon immediately following the supposed charge, ergo; implying a joke or passing sarcasm...I thought it was quite clear...

Quote from: gases on Oct 03, 2007, 08:39:55 AM
damn you cry about everything

Yes...tears are shedding...the people on the otherside of the computer disagree with me...what a tragedy...

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Gates on Oct 03, 2007, 08:57:02 AM
Notice the emoticon immediately following the supposed charge, ergo; implying a joke or passing sarcasm...I thought it was quite clear...

Fair enough.  I'm not sure what the topic at hand had to do with semantics, but no harm, no foul.

QuoteI feel I've made my point fairly obvious...

Not really.  You've yet to explain why Chelah, or any of her co-stars need to know anything at all about A&P that they can't get from the script.

Gates

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 03, 2007, 09:00:22 AM
Not really.  You've yet to explain why Chelah, or any of her co-stars need to know anything at all about A&P that they can't get from the script.

I thought I did here...

Quote from: Gates on Oct 03, 2007, 06:53:51 AM
[...] It's simple common sense for an actor to research source material in preparation for a role...

I don't know...call me crazy but if I was asked to be involved in a film that has a combined 28 years of history to it and I know very little about it...I would seek out and soak up every bit of information on the subject that I can to totally immerse myself in the role...that should be a given...that principle applies to any job/profession that one would invest in...I don't see the difference here...

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Gates on Oct 03, 2007, 09:25:27 AM
I thought I did here...
Quote from: Gates on Oct 03, 2007, 06:53:51 AM
[...] It's simple common sense for an actor to research source material in preparation for a role...
You thought wrong.  That's simply a statement of opinion, with no backing whatsoever 'cept for the claim that it's 'simple common sense'.

QuoteI don't know...call me crazy but if I was asked to be involved in a film that has a combined 28 years of history to it and I know very little about it...I would seek out and soak up every bit of information on the subject that I can to totally immerse myself in the role...
You're speaking of your own preference again.  Still no actual reason given.

I don't disagree in pricipal with your stance on the matter.  I just don't see the big deal in this particular instance.

And while we're on it, since when does a knowledge of what has come before have anythingthing to do with the quality of the final product?  One Mr Anderson knows a lot of Alien history (but not as much as he thinks he does) and look how that turned out.  Same goes for Whedon...although he didn't tinkle on established facts the way Paul did.

YutaniDitch

Quote from: SiL on Oct 03, 2007, 06:53:10 AM
Hell, if I was casting the movie I'd levitate towards people with as little knowledge of the creatures to star. Helps the fear come out.

Yes, because simulating fear from, say, a lion or from an Alien is somewhat different... ;)

As for her not knowing who the actors played her husband and son, it is probably because their scene in the woods is all there was in the script, with no interaction between them and Chelah, which is not good per se, because it will feel a bit detached...It is far more involving some interaction between them and then they disappear than just seeing her afterwards and her discovering her family is all gone...

Some interaction between them would enrich her character immensely and her emotional display...  ;)

Uncanny Antman

...either that or seem incredibly contrived.  Which is often the case with "happy family' scenes in horror flicks.

SiL

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Oct 03, 2007, 10:28:51 AM
Yes, because simulating fear from, say, a lion or from an Alien is somewhat different... ;)
What're you getting at?

YutaniDitch

Quote from: SiL on Oct 03, 2007, 10:46:29 AM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on Oct 03, 2007, 10:28:51 AM
What're you getting at?

What I mean is she needs to acknowledge that showing fear from some earth creature like a lion, for example, is very different from showing fear from something she does not understand, namely otherworldly creature with fangs she has never seen before... So she needs to accomodate those emotions, because facing a lion, you would be scared, but you would show you knew what you were seeing, or that you have seen a lion before... With a Xenomorph, it's very different...The horror in this movie goes from not knowing what is being hunting them, nor what that creature is, to being face to face with it and showing terror, not horror anymore... knowing your end is near... Like Gina Holden in that Predalien scene... Them seeing Jesse get impaled to a wall, that's horror...

See the nuances an actor has to show while doing an horror movie...? They need to convey the emotions that are expected in the scenes, not look too neutral nor too detached...

hence why actors often mention how difficult it is to show terror or horror emotions while facing a tennis ball, for instance...just like Chelah said, so she has in fact acted it out with the suited guy or guys (don't know whether she was with Ian or Tom or both) not just imagined them...

So, I was adding to what you said, not counterarguing... I think... you'll be the judge of that... ;)

Alienseseses

If she knew more about them, she would have difficulty getting scared if she has a collection of AVP toys.  ;D

tommygun

She is a bit part b-movie actress nothing more...don't expect a lot from her

gameoverman

Quote from: tommygun on Oct 03, 2007, 03:08:51 PM
She is a bit part b-movie actress nothing more...don't expect a lot from her

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wouldn't most people start from the bottom and work their way upwards?

tommygun

Yes, but if she was that great of an actress she would have a better track record..she has been acting for 14 years and she is still a support player

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed