Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,565 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: dragonthingy on Oct 11, 2013, 12:35:32 AM
Also, the new Predator series is being called Predators. Interesting.

....And why couldn't they just stick with just Predator?

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 01:11:08 AM
The AvP guy seems to be indicating he's not directly referencing the AvP films.

Reading the article, he's suggesting that he's not even going to be referencing them altogether along with the 26 years of already established expanded universe material.

In fact, he's outright stated he's doing a clean slate entirely.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Same reason they call the Alien one Aliens.

Wonder if they're going to acknowledge that 'canon' gem, Aliens: Colonial Marines, with the Continuing Adventures of Corporal Hicks...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 01:40:45 AM
Wonder if they're going to acknowledge that 'canon' gem, Aliens: Colonial Marines, with the Continuing Adventures of Corporal Hicks...

I doubt it.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

QuoteReading the article, he's suggesting that he's not even going to be referencing them altogether along with the 26 years of already established expanded universe material.

In fact, he's outright stated he's doing a clean slate entirely.

Why would they though?

Not really a reboot if they're going to reference 25 years worth of comics.

However that's not the point - they're focusing on the films as source material, but AvP is being sourced from Alien and Predator, rather than Alien vs Predator.  Which I guess they can do since that's what they did back in 1991, and the films were born out of the comics.

Furthermore I fear fans wanting one single continuity may be further disappointed by Out Of The Shadows, which does include film characters (not sure if the two follow ups will or not), but is being produced by Titan rather then Dark Horse.  Lebbon was dealing with Fox and has made no mention of collaboration with Dark Horse.  Might still all fit... who knows.

saintssinphony

So this might seem like a naïve question but I just am looking for clarity,

Are they going to redraw the comics along with making this story fit continuity?  Is that how to re-boot a comic or what?  I kind of thought this is what is happening but I didn't want to get my hopes up so much. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: saintssinphony on Oct 11, 2013, 01:52:54 AM
Are they going to redraw the comics along with making this story fit continuity?  Is that how to re-boot a comic or what?  I kind of thought this is what is happening but I didn't want to get my hopes up so much.

Not likely since the twenty six years of comics which were published is likely considered old continuity. And considering the fact that they aren't even going to reference or even use the Alien vs Predator films to be a part of this continuity suggest that this maybe a new continuity altogether from my understanding.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Quote from: saintssinphony on Oct 11, 2013, 01:52:54 AM
So this might seem like a naïve question but I just am looking for clarity,

QuoteAre there any major changes that will surprise readers of the previous Alien comics?
Roberson: One thing that [editor] Scott Allie and I discussed when I was first brought onto the project was his desire to get away from the more militaristic tone of the franchise from the second film onwards, and push back closer to the "horror" vibe of the original film. So we're taking a similar approach here. These aren't soldiers trained for combat, but regular people whose lives are thrown into chaos when they encounter the unknown.

Lots of militaristic tone in many of the old comics.

saintssinphony

ok, so it's new comics, complete new art and story also.  ok got it.  I think that is a wonderful idea.

SM

SM

I dunno if wonderful is the right word - but I'm definately intrigued.  Might even start buying comics again.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 01:50:36 AM
Furthermore I fear fans wanting one single continuity may be further disappointed by Out Of The Shadows, which does include film characters (not sure if the two follow ups will or not), but is being produced by Titan rather then Dark Horse.  Lebbon was dealing with Fox and has made no mention of collaboration with Dark Horse.  Might still all fit... who knows.

Personally, I don't see how this new comic continuity is supposed to make everything fit.. Especially considering the fact that Rodriguez and Scott wanted PREDATORS and Prometheus to do neither with each other, or the preceding films. But then again, I'm speaking as someone who takes Word of God as gospel.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

With just the films to focus on, there less chance of conflicts popping up.  With all the films considered a source, they can either try to combine everything - or just let the franchises exist seperately.  Or something in between, with Predators using hunting dogs for example, but no mention made of the events or characters in the third film.

One obvious potential stumbling block is AvP Weyland vs Prometheus Weyland.  Since Prometheus is being used as a 'nexus' for these new comics and the AvP films are being ignored (for lack of a better word) in favour of seperate Alien and Predator films, I suspect the Prometheus backstory will take precedence.

saintssinphony

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 02:00:31 AM
I dunno if wonderful is the right word - but I'm definately intrigued.  Might even start buying comics again.

Maybe intrigue is the better word  :laugh:

I hope (which I'm sure) they will release them in digital format.  I've been reading some comics I haven't read in years because I put a comic reader on my tablet.  I actually love the digital format because I can zoom and take hundreds of comics with me wherever I want.  I read some of the old aliens comics and some are downright stupid so I really look forward to some new horror related comics.  I sure hope there's lots of financial backing to make this happen. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 02:07:56 AM
With just the films to focus on, there less chance of conflicts popping up.  With all the films considered a source, they can either try to combine everything - or just let the franchises exist seperately.  Or something in between, with Predators using hunting dogs for example, but no mention made of the events or characters in the third film.

One obvious potential stumbling block is AvP Weyland vs Prometheus Weyland.  Since Prometheus is being used as a 'nexus' for these new comics and the AvP films are being ignored (for lack of a better word) in favour of seperate Alien and Predator films, I suspect the Prometheus backstory will take precedence.

So with all of that said and done... and considering the fact that Fox pretty much lets the expanded universe run rampantly and doesn't even bother in doing retcons or re-writes with their inhouse writers.. Where exactly does this leave the AvP films and the twenty five years of expanded material then?

I mean it's not like Fox has declared something to be non-canon from what I'm aware of, and that is including the Hish mythos.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

It leaves 25 years worth of comics out in the cold probably.  Same as how comics or movies or TV shows get rebooted and the old continuity gets effectively ditched, so is this.  How many times has Batman been redone in comics, TV and film?

This new continuity - if in fact that's what it is - can fully take into account Alien3, Alien Resurrection, the AvP films (which could still 'survive' even if they're not directly referenced), Predators and Prometheus.

Until of course Prometheus 2 comes out and the whole thing goes up the spout again.

Mr. Domino

The past 25 years of comics will be ignored, sure - that's probably for the best. It's essentially the same as what's happened with Star Trek novels over the past decade or so. For the first 20 years, the novels that came out were essentially like more episodes, and each one was mandated by Paramount to hit the reset button at the end, and nothing really fit together, so nobody worried too much about continuity.

But then a funny thing happened, all the shows ended, and the franchise went into a state of flux - and so suddenly, the novel writers found they had free reign to change things and move forward as they saw fit, so, starting about 10 years ago, all the novels have moved forward from the end of the shows, in a tightly-knit shared continuity.

That's what they're attempting with these comics. It probably won't work nearly as well (especially considering the first film that comes along will probably shoot their carefully constructed story to pieces), but it's what they're going for.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed