Alien Resurrection for Dreamcast

Started by Ash 937, Feb 07, 2011, 10:29:40 PM

Author
Alien Resurrection for Dreamcast (Read 11,033 times)

Ash 937

Ash 937

The same game that was released for PS1 was also being developed concurrently for Sega's 128-bit system.  The demise of the Dreamcast, however, spelled the end of this game and it was canceled.  I remember waiting for this game because I owned a  Dreamcast.

I never asked before...but all of my online searches for pics of the Dreamcast version of Alien Resurrection have turned up nothing.  I'd be curious to know how it looked before it was canned.

Anyone got pics???

Mr. Domino

I've looked before and never been able to find anything - however, I've heard it speculated that some of the early shots from the Resident Evil period of the game's development may have actually been from the Dreamcast version.

SM

SM

Depends when it was canned.  From memory Resurrection was going to be a third person shooter for a long time, before they changed it and it was released as a first person around 3 years after the film came out.

Ash 937

Ash 937

The Dreamcast version was suppose to be a 128-bit polished version of the same fps that was released for the PS1. 

Alien Resurrection was reportedly going to take full advantage of the Dreamcast's capabilities...which led me to believe that the game might have been a little more diversified than the PS1 version.  Don't know if anyone recalls, but many 3rd party Dreamcast games were often only marginally better looking than their PS1 counterparts.  They served as little more than simple ports of original PS1 games with the exception of better frame rates and soothed out graphics.  I remember being really bothered by that fact 10 years ago. 

Perhaps the diversity that this game might have had over it PS1 counterpart might also have something to do with why the PS1 version saw an actual release while the Dreamcast version floundered and was eventually canceled???  ???

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

I don't know. I've beaten the game on PS1, enjoyed it a lot, I didn't have a Dreamcast at the time (I've bought it last year). However, I'd love to obtain previous, 3rd person shooter version and be able to play it...I wonder who's got the code.

Quote from: Ash 937 on Feb 08, 2011, 03:21:35 AM
Perhaps the diversity that this game might have had over it PS1 counterpart might also have something to do with why the PS1 version saw an actual release while the Dreamcast version floundered and was eventually canceled???  ???

This is an interesting point to make, but I doubt it. I think the studio was discouraged by poor sales (which in turn were caused by complete death of the hype, and the fact it came out 3 years after the movie, when PS1 was almost dead). Alien Resurrection had a massive hype in 1998, I DO remember it.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Feb 09, 2011, 09:30:47 PM
I don't know. I've beaten the game on PS1, enjoyed it a lot

What level did you beat it on?  I beat it at the default level, which I assume is Normal.  Considering the extremely high difficulty level of the game, that really is an amazing feat.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

I don't think these difficulty levels differ a lot from each other. On easy, it auto reloads and uses the healthpacks automatically when your health reaches critical level, on normal it only auto reloads, and on hard it doesn't do either of these; another difference are the facehuggers who move a lot more swiftly. However, even on easy the game's extremely hard. I had to play it two times, one time I've gotten to level 7, but I had no ammo left for any of the fancier guns, and I couldn't progress further with what I had...so I was forced to restart and then I learned you could break the crates with shotgun or pulse rifle, as well as developed a habit of conserving ammo. I think I beat it on normal difficulty setting.

predxeno

predxeno

Yeah, it sucks when you have to restart a game like that.  I was afraid I'd have to on level 7, but I managed. :)

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2011, 10:59:29 PM
Depends when it was canned.  From memory Resurrection was going to be a third person shooter for a long time, before they changed it and it was released as a first person around 3 years after the film came out.

I do remember seeing at least 2 screenshots of an alien game that was in third person, in some uk computer mag years and years ago, but cant remember what system it was for. The info that came with the 2 small screenshots said something like, it got canned because third person view was not scary enough for an alien game, so the were changing it to first person.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

The game was plan to be released on the N64 and PC as well. I have no idea why they made the game nearly three years later?

Salt The Fries

I've read a whole feature on Alien Resurrection, the video game back in 1998 in Official PlayStation Magazine. It had dozens of screenshots and the hype (not only mine) for the game was enormous back then.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Mar 02, 2011, 05:21:29 AM
The game was plan to be released on the N64 and PC as well. I have no idea why they made the game nearly three years later?

I remember the Alien Resurrection VHS had a commercial for the game, and I think it was advertised only for PC.

severen76

severen76

I remember it got delayed for months, and by the time it came out nobody really cared about it.

predxeno

predxeno

I bet the high difficulty of the game didn't help.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I have no idea what happen to the N64 port, it might have been scrap due to the lack of spaces in the cartridge. Other ports of other Alien/Predator games where plan as well since the first AVP game was plan to be released on the Dreamcast back in 1999. AVP2 was plan to be released on the Xbox and PS2 at one point as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed