Ridley Scott on the hard road to Alien

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 24, 2019, 02:58:03 PM

Author
Ridley Scott on the hard road to Alien (Read 23,527 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 25, 2019, 10:54:26 PM
Quote from: King geedorah on May 25, 2019, 07:35:57 PM

Bald albinos, ghouliens, and evil robots

Sign me the f**k up tbh

With a solid script and a good execution you can have the Alien and the new stuff working perfectly.

locusta

God, and this guy is still ranting about the AvP franchise. Like that was the nail in the coffin. The Alien EU would have stopped in it´s comic run without the crossover. Most likely it even fertilized the fan dome and gave spark to it.

Dearly hope this "mother nature" and "evolve" bullshit is not going any further. The whole Space Jockey (not the blue, bald, bastards), it´s biomechanical ship and the Xenomorph itself are way outside our perception of nature and evolution. A different path of life´s development, either way older than ours or ahead of ours, in a matter of an universal time line.

SCOTT STOP!!!!!  Don´t be the f**king Theresa May of the ALIEN franchise! 

SM

SM

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 26, 2019, 02:32:59 AM
Call me crazy, but the Alien is kind of an important element of the Alien franchise. I love hearing Scott talk about his experience with the first film, but as far as his ideas regarding the franchise now and where to take it, couldn't disagree more. I think the 40th Anniversary shorts and Alien Isolation both proved his hypothesis incorrect.

So essentially -  "Hey Ridley!  There's still life in the Alien!  Just look at these short films and video game that are highly derivative of that movie you made.  Just make that movie you made again."

The Old One

The Old One

T C F
T  C  F
T   C   F

&
Quote"I think Alien vs. Predator was a daft idea."

Ridley Scott's right, it is daft.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: SM on May 26, 2019, 07:12:49 AM
Call me crazy, but the Alien is kind of an important element of the Alien franchise. I love hearing Scott talk about his experience with the first film, but as far as his ideas regarding the franchise now and where to take it, couldn't disagree more. I think the 40th Anniversary shorts and Alien Isolation both proved his hypothesis incorrect.

So essentially -  "Hey Ridley!  There's still life in the Alien!  Just look at these short films and video game that are highly derivative of that movie you made.  Just make that movie you made again."

You know you can disagree with an opinion without shitting on it, yeah?

They were derivative in terms of style and tone for sure, they still told intriguing new stories with new characters and expanded the universe in a way that most enjoyed. Prometheus and Covenant were pretty derivative themselves in terms of following the story beats of Alien...

People discover signal/map > land on planet > explore derelict spacecraft > come into contact with contagion > infected crew-member dies in dramatic fashion > remaining crew must survive against threat.

Now Alien, Prometheus, and Covenant have different themes they explore, and styles they present, but on a basic level, Scott remade Alien twice, with two of them vastly inferior to the first.

Do I think Scott should finish his trilogy? I'm really torn on that one, perhaps half of the fan-base (I'd guess) enjoyed the prequels, and yeah it's not fair to them to have such a cliff-hanger not followed through on. It's a bad look for the franchise as well to leave such massive set ups without payoffs. Still, I personally feel enough damage has been done to the mystery of Alien and the Space Jockey that whatever Scott has planned next could prove even more divisive than Prometheus and Covenant have.

I think the franchise can try new things for sure, but this is kind of like hearing JJ Abrams talk about how he didn't like Star Trek while directing the reboot... 'why are you making a Star Trek movie then?'

Necronomicon II

Eh, Giger's aesthetic was never predicated so much on all this appeal to "mystery," he envisioned a future where human sexuality and technology were in union and transfiguration. The origins are still in keeping with a shoggoth-esque chaos of uncertain origins, made more explicitly sexual by a deranged, sexually repressed A.I.; having spliced all manner of alien flora and fauna. I can imagine a scenario where the next film will leave it open whether David is ultimately responsible or whether he simply re-animated an ancient beast, much in the same way that Villeneuve ultimately left the Deckard replicant question open in 2049. I see that as a diplomatic solution.

SuicideDoors

If the Alien is played out just invent an entirely new IP. Give the Alien reigns to someone that wants to use the creature.

Getting a bit sick of Ridley Scott at this point.

Drukathi

Quote from: Necronomicon II on May 26, 2019, 09:13:32 AM
Eh, Giger's aesthetic was never predicated so much on all this appeal to "mystery," he envisioned a future where human sexuality and technology were in union and transfiguration.

I totally agree with you. I'm alright with
Quote from: King geedorah on May 25, 2019, 07:35:57 PM
Bald albinos, ghouliens, and evil robots

Really - I love Engineers (LV-223 the last engineer truly biomechanoid) and neomorphs. But I don't understand - why they don't use biomechanical aesthetic more? This is a face of Alien Universe. Not caveman-style.
Look at this.

Why instead this we have rocks? My answer - it has more mystery. ;D

Ridley often speaks about biomechanical, but - where is it? 30-sec Scorpion ship in Covenant?

I hope Disney will return to Giger's vision.

SM

SM

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 26, 2019, 08:15:00 AM
Quote from: SM on May 26, 2019, 07:12:49 AM

You know you can disagree with an opinion without shitting on it, yeah?

They were derivative in terms of style and tone for sure, they still told intriguing new stories with new characters and expanded the universe in a way that most enjoyed. Prometheus and Covenant were pretty derivative themselves in terms of following the story beats of Alien...

People discover signal/map > land on planet > explore derelict spacecraft > come into contact with contagion > infected crew-member dies in dramatic fashion > remaining crew must survive against threat.

Now Alien, Prometheus, and Covenant have different themes they explore, and styles they present, but on a basic level, Scott remade Alien twice, with two of them vastly inferior to the first.

Do I think Scott should finish his trilogy? I'm really torn on that one, perhaps half of the fan-base (I'd guess) enjoyed the prequels, and yeah it's not fair to them to have such a cliff-hanger not followed through on. It's a bad look for the franchise as well to leave such massive set ups without payoffs. Still, I personally feel enough damage has been done to the mystery of Alien and the Space Jockey that whatever Scott has planned next could prove even more divisive than Prometheus and Covenant have.

I think the franchise can try new things for sure, but this is kind of like hearing JJ Abrams talk about how he didn't like Star Trek while directing the reboot... 'why are you making a Star Trek movie then?'

The opinion is made up of a circular argument.  People like the shorts and Isolation because they're highly and deliberately derivative of Alien.  For good or ill Prometheus and Covenant went in very different directions from Alien.  The shorts and Isolation didn't.  They traded on nostalgia, and did a pretty good of it.

Ridley doesn't want to do a rehash of what he did in Alien - otherwise he would have done it by now - and insinuating he did that with Prometheus and Covenant is highly disingenuous.

Perhaps my comment slathered on the snark too much, for which I apologise, but it's a silly argument.

RidgeTop

It's fine. I don't mean to accuse Prometheus and Covenant of being complete rehashes, there's a lot they did new and I actually enjoy plenty of elements from both.

Alien_55

Alien_55

I would love to see a movie about Weyland and Weyland Yutani corporations. And, who authorized and how the order 937 came to be.

acrediblesource

He did more than just  help create the Alien mythology, he merged Texas Chainsaw Massacre with it. Take a bunch of people, send them to a haunted house to unlock something, they unlocked it, and they all get killed in the process of escaping except for one survivor. IT is the alien and where it came from is the whole Alien mythology. Change it up, but if it just get's mediocre and not at all mind creepy, then what is the point.
If evolution means making it kid friendly, that will kill the franchise. Prometheus is the step up but they didn't make it creepy enough. I think Prometheus is the closest we get to an an audience drawing evolution.
If it gets watered down any more and its killed. I say they should take Prometheus and creep it up even furthur with new designs, deeper mythos. HR Giger was Alien. Take that out and its killed.

Voodoo Magic

"And you can't keep repeating that because the joke gets boring."

Weeee!

Quote from: locusta on May 26, 2019, 06:19:57 AM
God, and this guy is still ranting about the AvP franchise. Like that was the nail in the coffin. The Alien EU would have stopped in it´s comic run without the crossover. Most likely it even fertilized the fan dome and gave spark to it.

Yep. We've had people in this very forum indicate that they were drawn into the fold, i.e. Alien & Predator fandom, because of AvP content.

maron

maron

Ridley Scott is the wrong man for this job and I hope he will not get the opportunity to do another alien movie.

Perfect-Organism

Yeah, it's time to hand the reigns over to James Cameron to manage this franchise.  If he's so inclined.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed