Aliens: Fireteam Elite Year 1 Roadmap Released!

Started by Hemi, Oct 27, 2021, 05:07:07 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Year 1 Roadmap Released! (Read 12,483 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 23, 2021, 04:40:30 PM
It's all about expectations, and their expectations ended up unrealistic, unreasonable for that genre particularly in triple A and definitely the intellectual property at that point in time.

Perhaps their unrealistic expectations allowed an inflated budget, and that would certainly be on them, but year-end financial results are year end financial results.

Say they netted $20 a pop on the game through a range of prices after advertising, licensing and physical manufacturing expenses, and sold 2.1 million copies. Wohoo! $42 Million dollars! It sounds great... until you look at a budget spent of say 60 Million (random guess - not putting it around the $200 Million budget that some AAA games insanely get). So suddenly those are disappointing sales in relation to budget. So it seems they put too much stock in how a game like this with the Alien IP would perform,  true...

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

To be fair, that report was from 2015 and Sega was generally speaking about weak console/PC game sales in general with Alien: Isolation included, not just focusing on it. It also blamed it on a "harsh market environment" rather than the game itself.

"Despite moving 2.11 million copies, Sega calls Alien: Isolation's performance weak. It pins this shortcoming on the nebulous factor of "harsh market environment." Of Sega's six major titles released in 2014, Isolation did the best by a large margin. The other games were Football Manager 2015 (810,000 sold), Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (combined 620,000 sold), Ryu ga Gotoku 0: Chikai no Basho (380,000 sold), and Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold (280,0000 sold). It's worth noting that Sega's packaged game sales saw a year-over-year increase of 1.23 million units."

-Kotaku

Also, a number of games that launched with lower sales than Alien: Isolation, such as the original Dead Space, still were seen as being valuable enough to launch multiple sequels, and eventually now, after hiatus, a relaunch. By EA's account Dead Space had a weak launch with initial sales of only slightly over a million, but excitement around the new franchise was such that they continued to invest in the property for a time.

Alien: Isolation has possibly sold many times more than that through the years from release given its reputation and Nintendo Switch port. Games can sell better in the long run. Resident Evil VII initially sold 3 million copies which was below what Capcom expected, but over five years would go on to sell over 10 million, becoming the franchise's best and the company's 2nd best selling game of all time.

The perceived sales of games being "below expectations" is pretty common in the industry and often comes down to publishers having unrealistic expectations I think. Gaming commentator Jim Sterling did a good piece on this. Dead Space 2 is in the top 10 selling horror games of all time and still sold lower than EA's expectations.

The horror gaming market has also shifted since Alien: Isolation's release. With first person horror games like Resident Evil VII and Resident Evil Village pulling in big sales. Companies often follow trends and hopefully they'll see there is still a demand for solid first person horror. 

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Nov 23, 2021, 07:59:25 PM
To be fair, that report was from 2015 and Sega was generally speaking about weak console/PC game sales in general with Alien: Isolation included, not just focusing on it. It also blamed it on a "harsh market environment" rather than the game itself.

Though, in disappointing earning reports, public companies tend to always point to external reasons why something of theirs underperformed, versus pointing the blame inward. But, it's still probably safe to say it wasn't a "roaring success" financially at launch. But success in customer satisfaction and quality though? Absolutely!

QuoteAlso, a number of games that launched with lower sales than Alien: Isolation, such as the original Dead Space, still were seen as being valuable enough to launch multiple sequels, and eventually now, after hiatus, a relaunch.

If I'm not mistaken, "Dead Space" is owned by EA and subsequently generates more revenue per dollar because it's not a licensed IP, and the smart money is to grow your own IP. But of course, it's not just sales numbers, it's always about money spent versus money earned, sales vs budget, to judge the winners and losers not just in games, but movies too. And unfortunately, we just don't have access to these video game budgets to make a proper assessment.

SiL

Dead Space was ultimately canned for consistently underperforming despite strong critical and audience acclaim. It was always known it wasn't considered a great money maker. It's strange it lasted a long as it did.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Quote from: SiL on Nov 24, 2021, 12:31:44 AM
Dead Space was ultimately canned for consistently underperforming despite strong critical and audience acclaim. It was always known it wasn't considered a great money maker. It's strange it lasted a long as it did.

So why do companies invest their time and resources on such a thing? Why dont they just do My Little Pony and make a killing? I understand the frustrations in this complicated gaming market. Why don't they just make it a Monetized MMO with paid cosmetics and f**k originality? Good creative sci-fi franchise is just going to stifle the money sucking blackhole that we all need and NEED to love. Correct? At least can any one with half a brain say something worth saying about the creative business market and what they should actually do?  Or should this game be given the benefit of a doubt because there was a lot of love put into the product?

Rather than reiterating someone else's brainless commentary that this game is shit because it didn't make masses amount of money?

Listen dude, if you're going to post comments like this, except people like me to rain down on you with a storm of real-sarcasm.

SiL

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 24, 2021, 01:20:03 AM

So why do companies invest their time and resources on such a thing? Why dont they just do My Little Pony and make a killing? I understand the frustrations in this complicated gaming market. Why don't they just make it a Monetized MMO with paid cosmetics and f**k originality? Good creative sci-fi franchise is just going to stifle the money sucking blackhole that we all need and NEED to love. Correct? At least can any one with half a brain say something worth saying about the creative business market and what they should actually do?  Or should this game be given the benefit of a doubt because there was a lot of love put into the product?

Rather than reiterating someone else's brainless commentary that this game is shit because it didn't make masses amount of money?

Listen dude, if you're going to post comments like this, except people like me to rain down on you with a storm of real-sarcasm.
You've really got to lay off the drugs my dude. Absolutely nothing you said had anything to do with my post. :laugh:

I never said any game was shit because of how much it did or didn't make :laugh:

acrediblesource

Sorry, the way you wrote just rubbed me the wrong way. Then I got mad. Then i got sad. Then took a dump. We're good.
Quote from: SiL on Nov 24, 2021, 02:47:24 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 24, 2021, 01:20:03 AM

You've really got to lay off the drugs my dude. Absolutely nothing you said had anything to do with my post. :laugh:

I never said any game was shit because of how much it did or didn't make :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 24, 2021, 02:25:35 PM
Then I got mad. Then i got sad. Then took a dump. We're good.

Still trying to process this.. :laugh:

Nukiemorph

I've maxed rank on all kits.
I've unlocked all guns.
I've four-starred all guns.
I've bought everything from the vendor.

I'm bored. Haven't played in about a week. I've enjoyed it up until I'd maxed everything out, but now I have nothing to work towards.

I'll eagerly jump back in as soon as these new seasons drop.

RidgeTop

Yeah as staunch of a defender of the game as I've been, the content drought has really set in, and I haven't played in some weeks now. As soon as new content comes I'm sure I'll be back for a bit. Hoping that new mode and feature are something substantial.

Hemi

Has to be some update then... If it turns out to be a dull horde mode variant with 3 maps they can expect a change in my steam review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

acrediblesource

I set myself down once a week for at least 2 matches. Not saying its done, but I still give it some attention. Like a pet  I haven't fed for a week.

judge death

Sounds like the things I warned for in september is becoming true, lets hope the next update adds a big upgrade and something that gives the game more replayability other than unlocking skins/decals. Also the story needs attention and also patch the game so the bots is actually helpful at higher settings later when this game becomes impossible to play with others when the online servers closes.

acrediblesource

Quote from: judge death on Nov 29, 2021, 08:57:21 PM
Sounds like the things I warned for in september is becoming true, lets hope the next update adds a big upgrade and something that gives the game more replayability other than unlocking skins/decals. Also the story needs attention and also patch the game so the bots is actually helpful at higher settings later when this game becomes impossible to play with others when the online servers closes.

They won't makebots useful on higher settings. That pretty much will make them play by themselves if thats the case. They even recommended NOT to use bots on higher settings yet people want them because people themselves dont trust themselves to play. IMHO I can use them on standard dif. and thats good enough. Any higher requires actual people.

Hemi

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 30, 2021, 01:57:47 PM
Quote from: judge death on Nov 29, 2021, 08:57:21 PM

They won't makebots useful on higher settings. That pretty much will make them play by themselves if thats the case. They even recommended NOT to use bots on higher settings yet people want them because people themselves dont trust themselves to play. IMHO I can use them on standard dif. and thats good enough. Any higher requires actual people.

What people though. Not that many left....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed