Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,624 times)

Engineer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 16, 2021, 03:05:29 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Sep 16, 2021, 02:32:14 PMIf it was just bad art, I wouldn't have anything to say.

The problem is that it's largely a misrepresentation of his work, and in many cases downright theft (see previous link about published DeviantArt watermark).

This.

I said before, I actually don't mind the art style, it's the shitty tracing and especially the plagiarism I can't abide.

Agreed.

I also meant to add that plagiarism is theft, and that's a definition not an opinion. There's no defending that.

Even when he photographs a toy and traces over it, he's failing to acknowledge the artist who sculpted that toy. In those cases, all it would take is a footnote in the inside cover to say the images created for the comic were obtain via photography of NECA or Hot Toys figures, or something to that effect to give credit to the people who made the sculpt. I'm sure there's probably more to that, like getting permission from NECA or whoever, but I think it would be easy to for them to obtain that permission considering it's like free advertising for their figures.

Honestly, it blows my mind that he poses the figures, photographs them, photoshops them and/or traces over them, etc... it's like he's going to much greater lengths to try to conceal his methods and make it look like something other than what it is, than if he were to just actually draw them 🤷‍♂️

But for the other instances, where he's photoshopping/tracing images that have a copyright or just blatantly stealing other peoples' art, there is just absolutely no excuse for that, and it's highly disappointing to see this sort of theft be tolerated to any extent by marvel and Disney.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Sep 16, 2021, 11:51:27 AM
Well PAS was being a top tier troll to someone who's enjoying the series. If you wanna troll than don't target some innocent person but go after the individual who you have an actual grievance with ffs. It came across as bitter and childish and all of y'all defending it are coming across the same way.
She complimented it. Someone else responded with a rude: "If by 'stunning' you mean 'obviously a traced NECA toy', then yes."

She asked "Your point?" and PAS just answered her question.

So yes, the first commenter was being rude and it was uncalled for, but I saw PAS as just answering her question and taking the opportunity to voice valid complaints.

Then instead of addressing the art, Johnson just addressed the trolling and lumped PAS in with it with "Never understood shitting on something another human being made, for no other reason than a third person enjoyed it." as if nobody was shitting on the art until this poor innocent Twitter user complimented it and suddenly the trolls came out of the woodwork to attack her. He's oversimplifying the situation - like anyone with complaints as just being an asshole.

Engineer

Engineer

"Never understood shitting on something another human being made, for no other reason than a third person enjoyed it."

This was incredibly tone deaf btw.
Yes, people are shitting on his bad artwork, but he completely neglected the bigger issue. A lot of it is plagiarized. No one is shitting on the artwork that was stolen; they're shitting on the fact that it was allowed to be stolen with no consequences to follow. (In other words, artwork he never *made* in the first place)

Did marvel or Greg Land ever even issue an apology for stealing Tristan Jone's work?

RidgeTop

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 16, 2021, 09:17:41 PM
Did marvel or Greg Land ever even issue an apology for stealing Tristan Jone's work?

Nope. It's also in the cover gallery of the direct market release. Otherwise that Omnibus was quite solid though, save for the paper being a bit thin.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Sep 16, 2021, 11:51:27 AM
Well PAS was being a top tier troll to someone who's enjoying the series. If you wanna troll than don't target some innocent person but go after the individual who you have an actual grievance with ffs. It came across as bitter and childish and all of y'all defending it are coming across the same way.
Before making such bold claims about me you could just, y'know, talk to me, ask me something?

Engineer

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 16, 2021, 09:38:52 PM

Nope. It's also in the cover gallery of the direct market release. Otherwise that Omnibus was quite solid though, save for the paper being a bit thin.

So they're still pretending like it never happened... ugh!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 16, 2021, 09:42:31 PM

They have no reason to acknowledge the problem with folks like Xiggz eating it up and defending it for them.

Honestly if the art wasn't stolen and traced then I wouldn't have a problem. I would still be collecting as an huge Alien/Predator fan, regardless of the story or art quality. I have several versions of Earth War/Female War, I have the Xenogenesis series, I have Lovesick, and Predator Homeworld. So I don't consider bad art/story a reason not to collect. I draw the line at plagiarism and stealing though, If I had known at the time that Dark Horse was doing something similar with there last couple series I would have been pissed at that too.

Engineer

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 16, 2021, 10:24:20 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Sep 16, 2021, 09:42:31 PM

They have no reason to acknowledge the problem with folks like Xiggz eating it up and defending it for them.

Honestly if the art wasn't stolen and traced then I wouldn't have a problem. I would still be collecting as an huge Alien/Predator fan, regardless of the story or art quality. I have several versions of Earth War/Female War, I have the Xenogenesis series, I have Lovesick, and Predator Homeworld. So I don't consider bad art/story a reason not to collect. I draw the line at plagiarism and stealing though, If I had known at the time that Dark Horse was doing something similar with there last couple series I would have been pissed at that too.

When dark horse did it, it was cover arts right? Or am I missing something and there were interior images swiped from elsewhere too? The reason I ask, it's much easier to buy a different variant cover to avoid directly supporting plagiarism, but when it's the interior art it's unavoidable. I too bought all the bad comics from dark horse though like xenogenesis, lovesick, homeworld, etc... I wanted to buy the direct market cover of marvel's omnibus but missed my opportunity I guess...

I won't buy any comics illustrated by Salvador larocca or Greg land though. This is coming from someone who, a year and a half ago, was genuinely excited to see marvel get the license but now I just can't get behind them making these comics. Not until they change the creative team anyway, particularly to a more reputable artist.

SiL

SiL

Dark Horse comics used clear photo references sometimes (like any artist would) but I don't think there were any obvious traces. The closest I can think is a single panel in Aliens: Apocalypse, the Destroying Angels towards the end being very closely referenced from the Alien attacking Brett in Alien.

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Sep 17, 2021, 01:41:25 AM
Dark Horse comics used clear photo references sometimes (like any artist would) but I don't think there were any obvious traces. The closest I can think is a single panel in Aliens: Apocalypse, the Destroying Angels towards the end being very closely referenced from the Alien attacking Brett in Alien.

I know the cover arts for several of the issues of "Aliens: Rescue" had direct traces/photoshops of images from the movies or promo images...

426Buddy

Ridgetop discovered some tracing in couple DH series I believe.  AvP Thicker than Blood and Alien the original screenplay if I'm remembering correctly.

Not to the same extent as Larroca though, he's not even trying to hide it. He can't even be bothered to put the figures into a cool pose before tracing them.

Engineer

I see. Wasn't aware of those. Thanks for sharing.

SiL

SiL

Now I remember some Prometheus scenes and even the interior of the Predator ship from The Predator being traced for The Original Screenplay.

TilotnyWorshiper28

it was atleast 50 issues before Larroca was off the main Star Wars run so I doubt he's going anywhere from this.

Otherwise The story of the comic has been pretty good in my opinion but that might be because I know some really obscure lore (from a unofficial but Licenced work from Star Wars that connects it with alien  called Supernatural Encounters - The Trial and Transformation of Arhul Hextrophon) which really jives with the Woman in the dark plot line.

I still think The Marvel comic works pretty well with out it thou.  the art is a detraction.  Im interested in the next arc.   

[cancerblack]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 16, 2021, 10:24:20 PM
Predator Homeworld. So I don't consider bad art/story a reason not to collect.

You know I actually quite like Cypress' style, but it's an odd choice for a Predator comic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed