Should there be an Alien-Predator Multiverse?

Started by RakaiThwei, Jan 08, 2014, 09:31:01 PM

Should there be an Alien-Predator Multiverse?

Yes, I think there should be an Alien-Predator Multiverse.
No, I don't think there should be an Alien-Predator Multiverse.
There already is an Alien-Predator Multiverse.
Author
Should there be an Alien-Predator Multiverse? (Read 45,211 times)

happypred

There's something of a multi-verse in the original trilogy of AvP novels...

Hunter's Planet and War have two different versions of the "Shorty" character and they die in different ways 

SM

QuoteIt has been awhile since I looked into Enterprises but I am pretty sure this artical is incorrect. 

Please provide something to disprove it.

QuoteI watched the documentry agian and it is in the video you mentioned.  Its 5-10 min into the doc.  He includes all 6 films into the mythology.   He also said this about writing Promethues "The mythology is so dence he doesn't know where to begin."

Context.

He's talking about trying to figure out where to start before writing anything.  Lindelof said much later in the process that Ridley had no interest in paying attention to AvP, which is borne out in the final film.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Jan 15, 2014, 03:06:51 AM
There's something of a multi-verse in the original trilogy of AvP novels...

Hunter's Planet and War have two different versions of the "Shorty" character and they die in different ways

That is something also to consider as well, we have two different stories involving the antagonistic relationship between Machiko and Shorty. When I first read War and Hunter's Planet, I thought that Hunter's Planet was a sequel to War but then when I saw that it was Shorty, I had questioned how he had survived his death but then just shook my head and just read on.

I would want to say that this may leave some more weight to the idea that there might be an Alien-Predator multiverse but I could be wrong in that sense. I don't know.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 14, 2014, 10:42:23 PM

Considering that the creative teams have said that they were ignoring the previous material which was published some twenty five years ago, and with the editor in chief corroborating with their statements-- seems to suggest that they are ignoring the previous storylines and continuity from the old EU comics. They're not contradicting it but they're not linking them either.

But now you are ignoring their other statment that they are not gitting red of the past material.  I should point out this is materail that is considred canon to the AvP movies esp the blu-ray versions which has a vast database that has alot of EU in it.  Then their is ACM which is movie level canon the devs conisidred all that stuff taking place in the same universe.  If it was noncanon it couldnt
take place in that universe.  If it was in adiffrent universe then it could still not be in the same universe like the devs said it was for ACM.

I think that you are taking this a little bit too literally. The idea of this thread is to see once again, how fans would be willing to accept a multiverse to make sense of things because even some of the movies don't fit in with each other, and if you take in words from the writers, directors and producers-- sort of clue you in on where certain movies fit and how they fit in. However a lot of fans don't take into account from what sources say and insist that they all mesh together when they really don't.

Your not taking the mechanics for multiverses serious enough if you think I have gone to far.

QuoteIn the case of crossovers, again because of legal reasons-- they aren't considered canon. But I already mentioned the cases with DC and Judge Dredd. You would be right that Predators and Aliens do exist in the realm of Judge Dredd, and maybe the Wildstorm universe as well-- those are canon in those respective universe but most fans don't accept them par of the Alien-Predator lore, for well enough reasons as it is.

Copywrite laws can not dictate infinity and its probabilities.  The alien and predator exist in many universes that are shared with other works that do not exist in the primary universe of the A P AvP Pro universe.  Besides Star Wars and DC which you keep ignoring.  Dresden Files is one.  Just because I just thought of it their are universes that have the Aliens mixed with Cybertronians, theirs one with Captian Power, theirs one with mixed withe Defiance universe, SoulCalibur, Lord of the Rings, Wild Boys book of the dead.  Its that simple.

I was only saying how crossovers aren't canon and aren't recognized in the lore.

To the primary universes they are not most the time.  The primary universes that have had them crossover and counted as canon have been what I mentioned above, SW, DC, Dresden Files, and some you mentioned.

QuoteThis topic is really meant to discuss if there is a multiverse in the Alien-Predator franchise and see if it could fit into the respective lore of the franchises and perhaps make sense of it. Godzilla fans have done this and it's actually worked out very well for them, so why not for Alien-Predator fans? Transformers fans also have issues with continuity as well considering how many G1 continuities there are but they make do with a multiverse on their own despite Hasbro not saying such. Why not for Alien-Predator fans?

That's the point of this thread. Nothing more, nothing less.

Their is no canon issues with Godzilla and Transformers.  Everything has been outlined without the help of fans.  If I am not burned out on this website you can talk about that here or email my profile.

Quote from: SM on Jan 15, 2014, 03:27:50 AM

Please provide something to disprove it.

By this point I really don't have to, the meat of this was about Industries vs Corperations not Enterprises.  Secondly you cant post links using an xbox.

Just a note though look up the diffrence between a Corperation and a Enterprise on ehow.  Its watered down but clear enough that it gets the general idear.

Context.

He's talking about trying to figure out where to start before writing anything.  Lindelof said much later in the process that Ridley had no interest in paying attention to AvP, which is borne out in the final film.

That doesnt change the fact that he said they are part of the alien mythology and that when they wrote Prometheus they didnt feel obligated to stay true to any of the films Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Res, AvP, and AvP:R. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Jan 15, 2014, 10:01:25 PM
But now you are ignoring their other statment that they are not gitting red of the past material.  I should point out this is materail that is considred canon to the AvP movies esp the blu-ray versions which has a vast database that has alot of EU in it.  Then their is ACM which is movie level canon the devs conisidred all that stuff taking place in the same universe.  If it was noncanon it couldnt
take place in that universe.  If it was in adiffrent universe then it could still not be in the same universe like the devs said it was for ACM.

I am not ignoring their statement in saying that they are not getting rid of the past material. If anything that's what I have been trying to say but the new comics are a completely new continuity which doesn't follow after the old one. That is what I am saying. They're separate from each other but they're both canon. That's the idea of the whole multiverse theory/idea. Two universes sharing similar histories in some spots but differences in others.

Your not taking the mechanics for multiverses serious enough if you think I have gone to far.

Copywrite laws can not dictate infinity and its probabilities.  The alien and predator exist in many universes that are shared with other works that do not exist in the primary universe of the A P AvP Pro universe.  Besides Star Wars and DC which you keep ignoring.  Dresden Files is one.  Just because I just thought of it their are universes that have the Aliens mixed with Cybertronians, theirs one with Captian Power, theirs one with mixed withe Defiance universe, SoulCalibur, Lord of the Rings, Wild Boys book of the dead.  Its that simple.

In the metaphysical sense, you would be right and you are. But we're talking about this whole idea strictly adhering to the Alien-Predator franchises in order to better make sense of things. I have already acknowledged Aliens and Predators existing in the realm of Judge Dredd since those crossovers are considered canon in the Dredd franchise. As for DC, I didn't ignore it-- I brought it up when I mentioned WILDCats/Aliens which strangely enough is considered canon in DC/Wildstorm.  But as for Aliens and Predators existing in Dresden Files, Captain Power, Transformers, Lord of the Rings.. and one of my favorites, Soul Calibur... Now you're sort of getting ridiculous. I've never seen Predators or Aliens in ANY Soul Calibur media. Try to stay out of the realm of fanon.

Their is no canon issues with Godzilla and Transformers.  Everything has been outlined without the help of fans.  If I am not burned out on this website you can talk about that here or email my profile.

The point of comparing Alien-Predator to Godzilla and Transformers is that even the primary sources, the movies don't seem to mesh well with each other. Namely AvP and Prometheus.. PREDATORS can be debated since according to Rodriguez, it ignores Predator 2 to AvP-R, but Antal's statement is that he considers it the third movie. The point of my statement was that even some of the movies follow a different continuity from each other, similar to how the Showa, Heisei and Millenium Godzilla films are direct sequels to the 1954 original-- fans perceive them as different universes. In the case of AvP, it's a sequel to Predator and Predator 2, and a prequel to Alien-- where as PREDATORS is a direct sequel to the original Predator, and Prometheus is an indirect prequel to Alien. See what I'm getting at? That's the whole idea of this thread is to see if fans perceive some movie continuity as different universes or so.

SM

QuoteBy this point I really don't have to, the meat of this was about Industries vs Corperations not Enterprises.

And by this point I'm thinking you can't actually prove anything.  Since you've muddied the argument by talking about 'enterprises' apropos of nothing.

QuoteThat doesnt change the fact that he said they are part of the alien mythology and that when they wrote Prometheus they didnt feel obligated to stay true to any of the films Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Res, AvP, and AvP:R. 

And the guy actually in charge of the film only refers to four Alien films in the same documentary - not six.

Born Of Cold Light

There should be an Alien 3 multiverse if you ask me.  We have:

1. The theatrical version
2. The version where the alien is captured and the prisoners find the queen facehugger (same as the comic version)
3. Alien 3 for Game Boy where Ripley is not infected, single-handedly wipes out an alien colony and escapes the planet
4. Alien 3 for Genesis/NES/C64/Game Gear where she battles a queen-less hive apparently ruled by an elite breed of alien warriors, and walks off into the sunset saying "It is done" without being infected
5. Alien 3 for SNES where she spends here time wiping out countless aliens, doing maintenance on the prison facilities, and then killing herself as she does in the movie
6. Alien 3 The Gun, where she takes on robots and a queen-less colony run by the alien from the movie, and then is captured by the Company
7. Alien Trilogy (I'm including it since I features the prison) where she wipes out three hives and escapes the planet right before it blows up

SM

8. The comic version which differs from the Assembly Cut.
9. The Workprint which differs again.

(And Ripley wasn't in Alien3 - The Gun).

But I reckon that's plenty multi.  :)

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2014, 01:08:28 AM
8. The comic version which differs from the Assembly Cut.
9. The Workprint which differs again.

(And Ripley wasn't in Alien3 - The Gun).

But I reckon that's plenty multi.  :)

Who was in that game?  I forgot.

SM

Generic marine dude who likes to say "LET'S GO!!"

RakaiThwei

I would count the Theatrical Cut, Assembly Cut, and the comic as parallel versions of Alien 3-- each one having similar but different events playing out but all of them legit as they might be alternate universes. Considering that the games have a different storyline, they might count as well considering the fact there were vast differences as well. Of course, I haven't really so much as played Alien 3: The Gun, so I can't say anything regarding the storyline, if it had one.. What was the storyline of The Gun anyway?

SM

Sequel to Alien3 where you battle an Alien horde on the Sulaco, then another Alien horder on Fiorina.  And you shoot robots and other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loihbYASyok#ws

Awesome Engrish in there.  ;D

Born Of Cold Light

I always found it interesting that the Company soldiers do not do anything to help Bishop where you're fighting him, but only step in after he's dead.

Unless, that was the Company's plan all along...

RakaiThwei

I wonder how tedious it might be to outline the Alien-Predator multiverse. A lot of the media of the franchise seems to go off in various directions, the films included as well.

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 15, 2014, 03:40:50 AMThat is something also to consider as well, we have two different stories involving the antagonistic relationship between Machiko and Shorty. When I first read War and Hunter's Planet, I thought that Hunter's Planet was a sequel to War but then when I saw that it was Shorty, I had questioned how he had survived his death but then just shook my head and just read on.

Hunter's Planet was published earlier. It seems that Steve's daughter (who wrote War) decided she didn't like Hunter's Planet and decided to do her own alternate sequel disregarding the events of Hunter's Planet. War is almost like a retcon. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed