Female Predators

Started by gameoverman, May 11, 2007, 02:30:31 PM

What does everyone think of female Predators?

Hate the idea
Like the idea
Indifferent
Author
Female Predators (Read 110,839 times)

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

I've always found it amusing how most everyone talks about how great the books and comics were, but 'oh no, of course they're not canon!' but then most of those same people consider half or more of the films crap, but 'of course they're canon.'

Just a thought.

As far as female Predators, it depends on which theory of Predator culture you go by. The Yautja theory, the more popular of the two, as espoused by Steve Perry in Prey, is a matriarchal society as was mentioned above with large, aggresive females that did not partake in the hunt. So no, the AVP preds were not females. With the Hish theory, brought out by John Shirley in Forever Midnight and Flesh and Blood, the Predators are asexual, and reproduce through a sort of budding, eliminating the need for females.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Canon has nothing to do with good or bad. It's got to do with the best sources of information on the creatures and the hierarchy of contradictions.

A good rule is KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. We don't need numerous convoluted theories about how Queens are produced as shown in EU material, for instance - they're simply born sometimes. That's all we can tell and it's all we need to be able to tell, because knowing anything else isn't necessary to carry a good narrative.

It's almost like EU writers expand on the creatures in order to gloss over the fact that the comic/novel as a whole kinda sucks. A good writer doesn't need to complicate or expand on an established creature - he simply puts it in a situation that makes it intriguing. See J.R.R Tolkien with Smaug the Dragon, or indeed, James Cameron with the basic Alien creature.

Svarog

Svarog

I think Their females are in nurseries and basic training grounds for Young offspring.
They cook, make clothes, weapons, and teach younglings first basic steps of millenia long living.

Female younglings stay  to continue the upkeeping, and males goes for hunting!

More trophys, bigga hero, and has the right to choose the best female to mate!

Best genetics for best  :)

I know hunt is everything , but hey...why else proofs of worth?

Xhan

Xhan

there was already a female in p2. Looked the same as the rest with giant hair.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

It's hard to say we haven't seen one already. We associate women with breasts, but that's because we're placental mammals. You can't assume the same of an alien species...unless they're blue cat people, but that's another franchise.

My problem with it is we should never learn so much about the Predator race that they seem relatable. They're murdering aliens. Bipedal hunters, yes, but that's where the similarities end for the most part. You tell too much and then it's too hard to make the villain feel mysterious.

Mystic Ninja

Mystic Ninja

Totally agree! The less we himanise them the better. I don't mind some honour in Predators but no fighting side by side with humans!!

keylight-di

keylight-di

If anybody wants to speculate about it, we just have to get out from movies canon-getto. Not everyone finds it interesting, not everyone wants to think about it.
I'm just afraid to write anything  not-movie-canon here  because it's very controversial for some users.  :-\
But for me personally it's fascinating... 
Quote from: Mystic Ninja on Nov 18, 2009, 06:07:16 PM
Totally agree! The less we himanise them the better. I don't mind some honour in Predators but no fighting side by side with humans!!
So why do you ask so many questions about Predators, huh???  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed