AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Details on The Predator Reshoots!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 06, 2018, 12:03:56 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Details on The Predator Reshoots! (Read 52,643 times)

Master

Master

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 06:02:18 PM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 08, 2018, 05:16:07 PM
Quote from: Master on Jul 08, 2018, 04:51:10 PM
I just would be glad if in next instalments Predator was actual star of it's own film.
Overexposure is one of the things that would ruin the franchise IMO.

I have to agree with this. As cool as it would be to see a day in the life of a predator, it's the mystery and the lack of seeing the creature that makes movies like Jaws, Predator and Alien as frightening and effective as they are. Seeing the main attraction all the time can ideed work for some franchises. Like the transformers, which should never have taken place on earth and featured a bunch of human characters. It should've been a digital film set on Cybertron.

If you focus too much on the predator, there's nothing to fear. He's the predator. And when you start taking the fear out of the creatures, you have to add in bigger meaner ones like Big Chad.

I didn`t expressed myself properly. What I mean was, I want my Predator be main antagonist of the next film. No Super Predators, No Upgrades, No Predaliens (like those in AvP-R). I want Predator to be the monster, not a monster.

Dusk

I think you could make the Predator the star of the Movie, without really changing the classic formula all that much. Even if the Predator is the star, the human perspective would remain the focal point of the Movie. The Movie would probably start out how any other Predator Movie does and people would eventually get slaughtered. But this would be brutal murders. Well... more brutal than usual. Of course we'd realize that's not how the Predators we know operate.

So after a while, it would eventually be revealed that there's an intense game of cat and mouse going on behind the scenes. That's when we learn that there are two Predators. One that's apparently all out of control and kills indiscriminately and the second one that's there to put a stop to it. You know, basically an adaptation of Predator: Bad Blood. And while it would be a Predator vs Predator scenario, I'd make it clear that the main character isn't exactly good. For the time being, he simply isn't there to hunt people.

But unlike Predator: Bad Blood, I would have the main Predator make it out alive. I think we can't continually paint the Predator as the ultimate Hunter, yet have it die at the end of every single Movie. Give the creature at least one win.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Master on Jul 08, 2018, 06:52:42 PM
I just would be glad if in next instalments Predator was actual star of it's own film.

I have to agree with this. As cool as it would be to see a day in the life of a predator, it's the mystery and the lack of seeing the creature that makes movies like Jaws, Predator and Alien as frightening and effective as they are. Seeing the main attraction all the time can ideed work for some franchises. Like the transformers, which should never have taken place on earth and featured a bunch of human characters. It should've been a digital film set on Cybertron.

If you focus too much on the predator, there's nothing to fear. He's the predator. And when you start taking the fear out of the creatures, you have to add in bigger meaner ones like Big Chad.

I didn`t expressed myself properly. What I mean was, I want my Predator be main antagonist of the next film. No Super Predators, No Upgrades, No Predaliens (like those in AvP-R). I want Predator to be the monster, not a monster.
Agreed. And I favor the stand alone stories rather than just having recurring characters.

Wysps

On a whole, I agree. I think it'd be really easy to do a movie like that wrong. I do think a movie could work if it was more observational though. Even in the comics where we are given the opportunity to "bond" (or whatever) with a Predator, we're still kept at an arms length - were not privy to its thoughts, feelings, etc. Its clear that we're observing something that's not human and there's no pretense.

I could see a movie with a Predator being the main protagonist, where there's no communication at all and the audience relies on body language and basic sounds to interpret what is happening in the story. That alone could help keep a lot of the mystery intact. But then the other question is, what kind of story could work under those condition.

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

How can anyone cry about two friendly Predators? In theory, they would own perhaps a few moments, no more than 10min. of screen time in entire movie. Their introduction would be the most silly thing in the film, their design with now their already famous human "cargo pants" was terrible beyond the lowest level, and without any deeper context of why they are where they are its just a pure bullshit. I dont have problem with Predators being friendly, but I have very huge problem with the idea of them being an secret agents of our government military or something. I write about this many times, their armor was 100% human-made, they look exactly like when military give you their own stuff, isnt that strange? How can you have in one hand a Predator inprisoned by military like a Lab. subject when you have already a two Predators fully eguipped with human gear? I dont know guys, Im just glad that they removed them, Their presence and purpose was weird and their design was clearly against everything what Predator made a true Predator.

Huggs

Huggs

Ah, I apologize. I too would prefer a lone predator. A classic style, to be shown as threatening and capable again. Unfortunately, like I've said before, we're slipping down a bad slope, and the classic predator is being overshadowed and destroyed by beserkers and hybrids. The capabilities of the first two predators were more than enough to cause trouble for any protagonist. If we continue with this mentality of "Bigger, Meaner, Deadlier" we're going to completely lose the magic.

Just like Alien, Hollywood is "innovating" these franchises into failure. It is not possible to continuously improve anything. At some point, something is going to fail and you'll be staring at a product that bears no resemblance to the original. The original alien and predator movies were not in the same position as say, the old marvel films. Where everything looked cheap and cheesy, brightly colored pipes ran along all the walls, and villains cackled in laboratories that looked like something from an elementary school. The studios had to approach those films in a more grown up way, and adjust for the audience. Now we have movies like Iron Man 1 and Civil War.

There was nothing wrong with the original predator movies. The idea and formula were perfect. Adding in predator dogs and spiders and hybrids and beserkers is fluff for the sake of fluff. Assuming you have to have something more crazy or grandiose just to get people to come see the movie is underestimating the audience. We love the originals for what they are, and because they did it well. Show me a trailer for a new predator movie in the spirit of the originals and I'll say "Alright! A new Predator movie!" not "Well, that was boring, where's the big fancy new thing?"

We're going backwards not forwards. It's not necessary for a franchise to always "stay fresh". The important thing is to tell a good story, everytime.

OpenMaw

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 08, 2018, 12:29:33 PM
Actually AVP was greatly influenced by comics.

None of the particular good parts.

Quote from: Xerxész on Jul 08, 2018, 12:42:46 PM
You think that a military part and a well choregraphed APC chase is awful in a Predator movie?
For example I don't want a P1 film again. We got it in 1987, we got it in 2010, now it seems we get it again.

They were awfully scripted.

And no, there's no indication this is going to be anything like Predator or Predators. For one, it sounds like a large chunk of the human characters will be alive when this new "test of who is best" begins.

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 07:26:54 PM
If we continue with this mentality of "Bigger, Meaner, Deadlier" we're going to completely lose the magic.

The next one is going to be 20 feet tall, twice the size, and eat people whole.

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 07:38:36 PM
The next one is going to be 20 feet tall, twice the size, and eat people whole.

They'll be fighting Jeager's within a decade.

PredBabe

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 07:26:54 PM

Ah, I apologize. I too would prefer a lone predator. A classic style, to be shown as threatening and capable again. Unfortunately, like I've said before, we're slipping down a bad slope, and the classic predator is being overshadowed and destroyed by beserkers and hybrids. The capabilities of the first two predators were more than enough to cause trouble for any protagonist. If we continue with this mentality of "Bigger, Meaner, Deadlier" we're going to completely lose the magic.

Just like Alien, Hollywood is "innovating" these franchises into failure. It is not possible to continuously improve anything. At some point, something is going to fail and you'll be staring at a product that bears no resemblance to the original. The original alien and predator movies were not in the same position as say, the old marvel films. Where everything looked cheap and cheesy, brightly colored pipes ran along all the walls, and villains cackled in laboratories that looked like something from an elementary school. The studios had to approach those films in a more grown up way, and adjust for the audience. Now we have movies like Iron Man 1 and Civil War.

There was nothing wrong with the original predator movies. The idea and formula were perfect. Adding in predator dogs and spiders and hybrids and beserkers is fluff for the sake of fluff. Assuming you have to have something more crazy or grandiose just to get people to come see the movie is underestimating the audience. We love the originals for what they are, and because they did it well. Show me a trailer for a new predator movie in the spirit of the originals and I'll say "Alright! A new Predator movie!" not "Well, that was boring, where's the big fancy new thing?"

We're going backwards not forwards. It's not necessary for a franchise to always "stay fresh". The important thing is to tell a good story, everytime.

No, I've seen the conflict in them now.  :D

MrPeterKeyes666

It's reportedly screening again this week.
It would be cool to see the alternate third act on the Bluray, but I doubt it. They never released the alternate third act for Rogue One.

Xerxész

Quote from: MrPeterKeyes666 on Jul 08, 2018, 07:53:50 PM

An other test screening? Hmm...

Hicks, could you gather some infomration after this screening?

Danversity

Quote from: MrPeterKeyes666 on Jul 08, 2018, 07:53:50 PM
It would be cool to see the alternate third act on the Bluray, but I doubt it. They never released the alternate third act for Rogue One.

When is the screening, do you know?

MrPeterKeyes666

LA on Tuesday I believe.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 07:38:36 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 08, 2018, 12:29:33 PM
Actually AVP was greatly influenced by comics.

None of the particular good parts.

But that's the risk when you delve deep into comic book influences.

OpenMaw

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 08, 2018, 08:17:05 PM
But that's the risk when you delve deep into comic book influences.

The original AVP comic is practically a pre-packed screenplay in storyboard format. There was no need to cherry pick a couple of vague nods as a connection and then jettison all the good stuff. Like actual characters with motivations that span the entire arc of the story, Predators and Aliens that make sense and proper pacing of rising suspense/action to a satisfying climax.

It's more about what happens when you let a hack take the reigns of a franchise like this.

I weep for what David Twohy might have given us.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed