What Happened to the Beacon from LV-426?

Started by Liberator, Dec 23, 2021, 07:29:58 AM

Author
What Happened to the Beacon from LV-426? (Read 4,081 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Strange... story I heard it was damaged in transit.

So he deliberately broke the arm in order to say the beacon was damaged? Even though the beacon was located in the Pilot/Jockey chamber/cockpit.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 26, 2021, 03:18:34 PM

So he deliberately broke the arm in order to say the beacon was damaged? Even though the beacon was located in the Pilot/Jockey chamber/cockpit.
The beacon may have been in the Jockey chamber but for all we know the power source that powered it was in one of the arms and shut off when the arm broke.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2021, 05:28:29 PM

The beacon may have been in the Jockey chamber but for all we know the power source that powered it was in one of the arms and shut off when the arm broke.

Also a lot of damage might have been done on the inside, collapsed rooms, connections, severed power lines.

Anyway, the scary part for me is that the Burns guy kept the derelict outside in his yard.

Xenomrph

Quote from: StrangeShape on Dec 26, 2021, 09:48:11 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2021, 05:28:29 PM

Also a lot of damage might have been done on the inside, collapsed rooms, connections, severed power lines.

Anyway, the scary part for me is that the Burns guy kept the derelict outside in his yard.
In his defense I guess, where would he put it in his house?

Then again if I was in his position I'd put the Derelict wherever it wanted to be and then sleep outside in my yard if I had to.

SiL

Burns has/had one of the largest collections of movie props in the world and would regularly let people see them. I don't imagine there are many places to store a giant model spaceship inside.

Kradan

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 27, 2021, 12:58:52 AM
Then again if I was in his position I'd put the Derelict wherever it wanted to be and then sleep outside in my yard if I had to.

He should've guarded it like Homer did that giant pile of sugar

The Cruentus

Quote from: Liberator on Dec 23, 2021, 07:29:58 AM
This is another question about Aliens, specifically the transition between the first movie and the second.  The derelict spaceship on LV-426 had a beacon, which lured in the Nostromo.  What happened to it?  It just occurred to me that the colonists who came there later must have heard it, unless someone shut it off.  Does anyone know if this was ever officially explained?  If not, it begs the questions, who shut it off, and why?

Alien Isolation.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SiL on Dec 27, 2021, 01:22:53 AM
Burns has/had one of the largest collections of movie props in the world and would regularly let people see them. I don't imagine there are many places to store a giant model spaceship inside.

His basement was the stuff of legend.

But that derelict bigature was big...

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 23, 2021, 08:19:31 AM
IIRC  Cameron explained it away by seismic activity on the planet. Basically, in between Alien and Aluens there was a big ass earthquake that damaged beacon inside the Derelict. It's kinda lame explanation but at least there was some thought put in

if i remember correctly when newt's family approached the derelict and newt asks ''what is it dad'" you can see that one of the prongs of the derelict has been damaged by volcanic activity.  maybe someone can give us a screenshot. anyway theres that and it could possibly be responsible for disabling the beacon. i point to this as a possible in movie explanation.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Dec 27, 2021, 01:22:53 AM
He obviously needed to get a bigger house as appropriate to hold the collection, no matter the size.  >:(

Quote from: oduodu on Dec 27, 2021, 07:53:22 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Dec 23, 2021, 08:19:31 AM
IIRC  Cameron explained it away by seismic activity on the planet. Basically, in between Alien and Aluens there was a big ass earthquake that damaged beacon inside the Derelict. It's kinda lame explanation but at least there was some thought put in

if i remember correctly when newt's family approached the derelict and newt asks ''what is it dad'" you can see that one of the prongs of the derelict has been damaged by volcanic activity.  maybe someone can give us a screenshot. anyway theres that and it could possibly be responsible for disabling the beacon. i point to this as a possible in movie explanation.
You're correct, and that was James Cameron's "on paper" explanation for why the beacon wasn't still on.

oduodu

👍

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2021, 12:29:19 PM
Quote from: Liberator on Dec 23, 2021, 07:29:58 AM
This is another question about Aliens, specifically the transition between the first movie and the second.  The derelict spaceship on LV-426 had a beacon, which lured in the Nostromo.  What happened to it?  It just occurred to me that the colonists who came there later must have heard it, unless someone shut it off.  Does anyone know if this was ever officially explained?  If not, it begs the questions, who shut it off, and why?

Alien Isolation.

It was pretty noble of Creative Assembly to try resolve that bit of inconsistency while simultaneously giving us super awesome LV-426/Derelict experience. A bit retconny for my taste though

BlueMarsalis79

Every sequel to anything that adds additional context's a retcon.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuti337JF5U

You can see the derelict being collected from Bob's place at 6:22.

Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 24, 2013, 01:39:58 AM
QuoteThe Derelict Spacecraft was dropped by the forklift when unloading all the goodies at Bob Burns place. The hammerhead arm broke off and that's the reason to why we see it like that in A L I E N S.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=148421&page=3

Although almost a decade ago, I was apparently arguing against that theory...  :laugh:

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 24, 2013, 11:43:43 AM
Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 24, 2013, 01:39:58 AM
QuoteThe Derelict Spacecraft was dropped by the forklift when unloading all the goodies at Bob Burns place. The hammerhead arm broke off and that's the reason to why we see it like that in A L I E N S.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=148421&page=3

No, the hammerhead arm was definitely still attached when Robert Skotak collected it from Bob Burns. Robert mentioned that pieces of clay were falling off the exterior but there was no structural damage.

Early storyboards, drawn before the model was collected?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed