Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 09, 2021, 03:26:43 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All (Read 91,853 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2021, 08:03:06 AM
But are Alien fans just not that excited about multiplayer focused games? Hunting Grounds didn't generate that much buzz either. Has the marketing not focused enough on the narrative component of the game, and overmuch on the multiplayer aspect?

I don't think it's really got much of a narrative, that's my prediction anyway, and perhaps most Alien fans are like me, unless it's couch co-op with a strong story, in general I don't give a f**k about Multiplayer I'd rather have a strong Singleplayer Campaign every time.

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 18, 2021, 11:48:50 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2021, 08:03:06 AM
But are Alien fans just not that excited about multiplayer focused games? Hunting Grounds didn't generate that much buzz either. Has the marketing not focused enough on the narrative component of the game, and overmuch on the multiplayer aspect?

I don't think it's really got much of a narrative, that's my prediction anyway, and perhaps most Alien fans are like me, unless it's couch co-op with a strong story, in general I don't give a f**k about Multiplayer I'd rather have a strong Singleplayer Campaign every time.

I think a big part of it is also whether you are an Alien or Aliens person. I think the Alien fans are looking for something a little slower paced, tense, and scary. Whereas Aliens fan prefer the more fast paced shooter, Aliens are bugs type games.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't people who overlap, or even that these are concrete assumptions. Just something I feel I've noticed over the years.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2021, 08:03:03 AM

But are Alien fans just less excited about multiplayer focused games? Hunting Grounds didn't generate too much buzz either. Has the marketing not focused enough on the narrative component of the game, and too much on the multiplayer aspect?

That's an interesting thought. Yes, perhaps.

I've personally noticed that a lot of older video game players feel they can't hold-up or compete well in multiplayer games against younger generations. That pushes them to seek out more single player campaign experiences and avoiding multiplayer almost entirely. Considering the majority core of Alien fans that spawned from Aliens' heyday are much older now, I can see this situation fitting of that mold.

Do I think the IPs of Alien (and Predator) will ever be worthy of a AAA game budget moving forward? As their heyday-fan bases continue to age, unfortunately not. Maybe something can change with a great feature film? Yet, I must remind myself that the Mad Max game, even while generally well reviewed and surrounded by a fantastic film, reportedly also failed to sell enough to justify a follow-up.

Kailem

Kailem

I think partly it's that, for whatever reason, some people just completely dislike the idea of multiplayer-only games with no singleplayer component, despite the fact that no-one bats an eye at singleplayer games with no multiplayer. And I can kinda understand that, if you don't consider yourself to be "good" at multiplayer games or just like playing stuff at your own pace rather than have so much of it dictated by other people or whatever, then multiplayer games might not be very appealing to you.

Add to that the fact that as a result, this game seems to be very "simple" and arcadey (in a good way, imo) and with the story aspects serving more as a backdrop to the action rather than the focus, like they otherwise might have been in a singleplayer game, and I think some people might just be looking at it and thinking there's not much there.

I get that, though personally I'm very much looking forward to it. I loved Left 4 Dead, very much enjoyed the recent Back 4 Blood beta, and think this looks like a great PvE multiplayer game in the same mould. Not to mention it looks extremely polished, and all the reactions from people who've played it have been positive. So yeah I'm definitely hyped. It's been too long since we had a good game in the Aliens vein, so I can't wait to get my hands on it.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kailem on Aug 18, 2021, 03:28:48 PM
And I can kinda understand that, if you don't consider yourself to be "good" at multiplayer games or just like playing stuff at your own pace rather than have so much of it dictated by other people or whatever, then multiplayer games might not be very appealing to you.

My regions internet just sucks so bad there's no hope for online multiplayer in a fast paced game.

Quote from: Dachande on Aug 18, 2021, 12:13:31 PM
I think a big part of it is also whether you are an Alien or Aliens person. I think the Alien fans are looking for something a little slower paced, tense, and scary. Whereas Aliens fan prefer the more fast paced shooter, Aliens are bugs type games.

God what I'd give for an AvP that actually involved tracking, stalking and maneuvering as well built and important mechanics for both species.

StanSwitek

Quote from: Hemi on Aug 18, 2021, 10:51:27 AM
Twitch stream of more gameplay. This is looking so good. :D

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1119981864

Nice gameplay footage.. just wish I could see how it runs on Ps4.

PVTDukeMorrison

Does it bug anyone else that no mouths move when people talk?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 18, 2021, 07:52:55 PM

My regions internet just sucks so bad there's no hope for online multiplayer in a fast paced game.
This is my issue as well. I'm 20 minutes from a city center and might as well be in a desert.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Aug 18, 2021, 08:18:33 PM

Yeah, for me, sometimes.  :laugh:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I like the Aliens to present some sort of challenge but I don't like meandering about unable to move either. 

I would want something with some balance, which will never be done.  The Aliens are easy to kill OR they are Angels from Evangelion where conventional weaponry doesn't hurt them. 

The closest game I think of balance wise with the Alien was the first AvP.  The Aliens were cheetah chainsaws, but could go down easy if you located and put them down before they got close.  I'd like something similar someday, where the Aliens maybe weren't quite so easy to kill, and used something different then beelining right to you. 

I think the wariness is actually people still remembering A:CM more than anything.  It is the most recent Marine vs Aliens gameplay that was advertised as capturing the feel of the second movie, and was complete unpolished dogshit. 

I don't feel the outings before that really did anything to discourage people from buying an Alien licensed game.

Isolation was pretty well received, AVP2010 had a decent run. 

I think also that people are taking a wait and see approach with the lower price tag, perhaps suspicious that the game will not measure up to triple A games.

However, if this is a shooter game that KNOWS it will have future content releases and that it is perhaps released a tad light on the content side of things cough  destiny cough, then maybe it is actually going to be a fair initial price.  If that is the case, I tip my wang to them. 

Still Collating...

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 18, 2021, 08:36:35 PM
Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Aug 18, 2021, 08:18:33 PM

Yeah, for me, sometimes.  :laugh:

Yeah, I find that lazy honestly....

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 19, 2021, 01:50:23 AM
I like the Aliens to present some sort of challenge but I don't like meandering about unable to move either. 

I would want something with some balance, which will never be done.  The Aliens are easy to kill OR they are Angels from Evangelion where conventional weaponry doesn't hurt them. 

The closest game I think of balance wise with the Alien was the first AvP.  The Aliens were cheetah chainsaws, but could go down easy if you located and put them down before they got close.  I'd like something similar someday, where the Aliens maybe weren't quite so easy to kill, and used something different then beelining right to you. 
I actually really like how the Drone and Warrior are tough here, and only the Runners are fragile, I think this is one of the better takes on them, definitely better than them being as easy to shred as paper, or you just being able to block an attack, punch em, knocking them down, then being able to beat it to death like in the last 2 shooter games

New Praetorian image

judge death

Just dislike all those glowing areas on the xenos that just screams: shot me here, its my weak spot xD

Hmm not seen much talk about playing together here so I presume most will play this alone or with randoms on the online mode, well if its as easy as other shoters of today I think it should be doable to beat it myself on hard setting, doubting the hardest difficulty is possible for a single player, but might try.

PAS Spinelli

I'll be playing with my brother :p

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

People just have to mention they want to play with avpgalaxy members. 

Somebody start a galaxy stream or something and Im sure you would find two other people willing to do it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed