Return to Monkey Island

Started by Rankles75, Apr 04, 2022, 07:51:37 PM

Author
Return to Monkey Island (Read 1,773 times)

Rankles75

Rankles75

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrH4TfI0JQ

Oh man, I am so stoked for this. First two games are among my all-time favourites, unfortunately Ron Gilbert then lost the IP and the series went away from what he had planned. Hopefully now he's got it back, we can get a worthy addition to the series and forget everything else happened...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I never played the original.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 04, 2022, 08:22:36 PM
I never played the original.

Then you never experienced the joys of a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle. :)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I know.  It still rankles me.

Kradan

Kradan

Oh, you, a troublemaker

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Absolutely incredible, almost unbelievable news!  I had long given up hope of ever seeing another Monkey Island game made by Ron Gilbert.  It's been 31 years since the last one!  I'm not overly keen on the art style glimpsed in the trailer, mind.  It reminds me a little too much of the pig ugly special edition of the original game...

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990 VGA original)

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (2009)

Return to Monkey Island (2022)

It's the characters that I'm particularly not fond of.  I'm just not a fan of Rex Crowle's art style.  Having said that, hopefully I'll eventually warm to the art style of the new game, as I did for The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (a game which I thought looked shockingly hideous upon reveal but have since come to regard as the best looking Zelda game in the entire series. Sometimes it just takes time to adjust to a bold new aesthetic). Ideally I would have liked to have seen a return to the more realistic style of the original two games...

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990 VGA original)

...or something more akin to Bill Tiller's gorgeous artwork from The Curse of Monkey Island, if they wanted a more cartoony style...

The Curse of Monkey Island (1997)

Either way, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, as this is undoubtedly the single biggest reveal in the history of adventure games and I'm a MASSIVE fan of the genre, so this announcement of a new Ron Gilbert continuation of the most famous and renowned adventure game series of all time gets one big thumbs up from me and I can now die happy.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Great news, one of my favorite game series. I even loved the fourth one, which had no input from Ron Gilbert, and the Telltale ones.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Got to say, I really enjoyed this. Obviously can't live up to the first two games, but it was great to catch up with these characters and locations again, and the art style worked a lot better than expected. Still feels as great as ever when you solve one of the games more obscure puzzles. :)

We got another confusing Ron Gilbert ending, but at least he covered most of the bases by having about 10 different ones this time around!

Need to get back to playing the earlier games now I've finished this one... :)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

What's the way to play?

I mean in terms of convenience, and the best ones, does a collection exist for modern consoles or PC or anything else?

Kimo

Kimo

Just got an Amiga 500 Mini you bet your ass im going to upload the orginal Monkey Island to it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed