Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,289,813 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Ingwar

Ingwar

Anti-abortion and gun culture.

Elementary school? f**king hell, seriously.

SiL

SiL

Remember when Columbine was this horrifying singular tragedy?

Rankles75

Rankles75

14 kids, aged between 7-10 years old. America is so f**king broken...  :'(

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I was going to complain that we had 7 shootings overnight here, but American exceptionalism has stolen the spotlight as usual.

kwisatz

kwisatz

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on May 24, 2022, 10:04:27 PMhttps://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/180522094603-t1-us-intl-shooting-list.jpg

How does Canada's gun laws compare to that of the US? Similar or much stricter?

UK not surprising since the only way to really legally own a firearm is to join an accredited shooting club. Combined with lots of background checks, letters of references from people that know you well, a long interview with a firearms officer and a specially certified wall-mounted safe to keep those guns locked-up 24/7. Quite a schlep, so not many gun owners.

But then again, you have countries like Switzerland and Israel where almost every household has a fully automatic assault rifle and they don't have a problem with school shootings either.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 25, 2022, 09:52:13 AMHow does Canada's gun laws compare to that of the US? Similar or much stricter?

I like in UK where police officers don't even carry a gun! But when it comes to Canada as far as I know they're nation of gun lovers.

https://origins.osu.edu/article/good-guys-and-bad-guys-guns-gun-control-canada-and-us?language_content_entity=en

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Canada has lots of guns but I'd say Canada's gun laws are definitely stricter than the U.S, and the absence of any large gun lobbies like the U.S's NRA helps too.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 25, 2022, 09:52:13 AMUK not surprising since the only way to really legally own a firearm is to join an accredited shooting club. Combined with lots of background checks, letters of references from people that know you well, a long interview with a firearms officer and a specially certified wall-mounted safe to keep those guns locked-up 24/7. Quite a schlep, so not many gun owners.

It's interesting actually. NZ has the same level of hassle to get a gun - except the club part which isn't a requirement but speeds things up a lot, we had that big buyback on semi-autos and certain types of shotty, and ever having been in the legal or mental health systems for anger/violence issues or suicidal ideation/action is almost always a guaranteed failed application.

And yet the number of shootings is going up all the time here. We've had 12 this week and it's only Thursday morning.

But do you know what we do have? A heavily Americanised culture.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 25, 2022, 08:10:38 PMBut do you know what we do have? A heavily Americanised culture.

How did that happen?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Being a tiny place that produces limited cultural output, while consuming huge amounts of American media - a lot of which glamourises violence, gangs etc, and an ethnic underclass that identifies with all of that and has embraced it fully, unfortunately.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

At least New Zealand banned all assault rifles after the Christchurch massacre.

This kid just turned 18. Wasn't yet old enough to legally buy a packet of smokes & booze so instead brought himself two AR-15 assault rifles with 250 rounds of ammo and let rip at an elementary school. Absolutely crazy.

An assault rifle is an offensive weapon, not a self-defense weapon unless you live in Ukraine or some other warzone.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Yeah, we went the right way with that, it'll certainly prevent mass casualty events. The problem we're having at the moment is active criminals using (illegal) handguns and (unregistered) shotguns to waste rivals in the street or do drive-by's on random houses.

Which unfortunately, all the sensible gun control law in the world can't prevent. It's a long term poverty issue more than anything.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 25, 2022, 09:16:37 PMThis kid just turned 18. Wasn't yet old enough to legally buy a packet of smokes & booze so instead brought himself two AR-15 assault rifles with 250 rounds of ammo and let rip at an elementary school. Absolutely crazy.

You need to be 21 to buy alcohol but you can buy f**king assault rifle at the age of 18? Correct me if I'm missing something. I cannot wrap my head around it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed