Neill Blomkamp's Alien never reached film

Started by The Old One, Apr 03, 2020, 04:08:15 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's Alien never reached film (Read 23,151 times)

irn

Quote from: SiL on Apr 28, 2020, 11:01:28 PM
I remember someone saying there was no script, just a detailed treatment or synopsis.

It would be cool to read that treatment just out of curiosity. I hope he releases it one day.

TC

Aliens in 1986 was beaten in the box office by something called Crocodile Dundee. What the next alien film needs is jolly swagman and a billabong.

TC

SiL

That's not a pulse rifle. This is a pulse rifle.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: TC on Apr 29, 2020, 11:05:56 AM
Aliens in 1986 was beaten in the box office by something called Crocodile Dundee. What the next alien film needs is jolly swagman and a billabong.

TC

^ I'm sorry TC. You were too late and your condescending is no longer "useful", since I agree with Sil  :laugh:

And as I pointed out before, after Cameron's sequel the Colonial Marines reached a "cult status" among the fans, to so to speak. Plus, plenty of the video games, toys, comic books & novels are a reminiscence of Aliens.

And while people are not going to love an Alien movie just because the USCM, it might help to sell tickets, among other things of course. After all, it is not so much a matter of reception. Prometheus made money, and yet it is not a much-loved movie today.  :)

426Buddy

I think I would agree that the Colonial marines are one of the most broadly appealing parts of the franchise for mainstream audiences, especially between 86-95.

However I think the name has been run through the mud a bit especially with the game A:CM, atleast among nerd/geek culture anyway.

I don't think they have the same cachet they used too.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Apr 28, 2020, 11:01:28 PM
I remember someone saying there was no script, just a detailed treatment or synopsis.

Ridley claimed there was no script. Cameron and Weaver claimed there was.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ridley also said:

Quote"We have Neill Blomkamp's Alien, which will be out in 2017. We just have the first [screenplay] draft in so far but it looks pretty good."

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53386.msg2079840#msg2079840

Quote from: SiL on Apr 29, 2020, 12:53:32 AM
AvP was the most successful Alien or Predator film on release.

How do you figure that?

Alien and Aliens made back approx X10 their budget at the box office.
Predator made back just over x5 times it's budget.
Alien vs Predator only made back about x3 times it's budget.

irn

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 29, 2020, 01:19:37 PM
And as I pointed out before, after Cameron's sequel the Colonial Marines reached a "cult status" among the fans, to so to speak.

It's a unique thing to have a sequel be what defines a film series and even crazier that James Cameron managed it twice: Aliens with the guns blazing Colonial Marines, and Terminator 2 with the good guy T-800.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Janek on Apr 18, 2020, 02:04:35 PM
Blomkamp has directed no feature film since Chappie and has only been doing shorts. He was never the correct man to lead the Alien franchise to new heights. Im not saying that AC was a breakthrough though.

AC was more of a breakdown.

The shorts look great.  I say let the man have a crack at the Aliens sequel, but please, no Ripley in an Alien suit.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2020, 04:00:03 PM
How do you figure that?
As in it made the most at the time.

QuoteAlien and Aliens made back approx X10 their budget at the box office.
Alien almost did, Aliens didn't. Its estimated budget was $18.5 million, earnings $130m.

QuoteAlien vs Predator only made back about x3 times it's budget.
True, but it was a substantially bigger budget. And at the last, it was a financial success without colonial marines.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: irn on Apr 29, 2020, 05:23:55 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 29, 2020, 01:19:37 PM
And as I pointed out before, after Cameron's sequel the Colonial Marines reached a "cult status" among the fans, to so to speak.

It's a unique thing to have a sequel be what defines a film series and even crazier that James Cameron managed it twice: Aliens with the guns blazing Colonial Marines, and Terminator 2 with the good guy T-800.

I'd make the argument that the "guns blazing Colonial Marines" concept has really only defined the franchise outside of the films (and even then, most of the best recent Alien EU properties [this being my opinion of course - I'm referring to Isolation, The Cold Forge, and Phalanx] have not used that concept). In terms of the film franchise proper, Aliens really didn't set the course for further Colonial Marines stories at all, and as it stands today in 2020, it is still the only film out of the six to utilize that concept at all.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SiL on Apr 29, 2020, 09:05:13 PM
Alien almost did, Aliens didn't. Its estimated budget was $18.5 million, earnings $130m.

Wikipedia has Aliens' production budget at $17–18 million and the box office at $131.3–183.3 million. Given Hollywood accounting I'd say the $17 million production budget and the 183.3 million box office is probably closest to the mark. Either way, it still far outperformed AvP.

QuoteTrue, but it was a substantially bigger budget. And at the last, it was a financial success without colonial marines.

Not that much bigger when you adjust the production budget for inflation. And even then the box office takings was still similar to Aliens without adjusting for inflation (which would make a big difference over a period of 18 years).

One could argue that Prometheus was the most successful film of all considering it made $403.4 million, but when you reckon in it's huge production and advertising budget (plus inflation) it's performance isn't that impressive.

426Buddy

That trailer for prometheus still the best ever

SiL

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2020, 09:35:45 PM
Wikipedia has Aliens' production budget at $17–18 million and the box office at $131.3–183.3 million.
Box Office Mojo lists earnings as $131M from release. The extra is probably re-releases.

Quotebut when you reckon in it's huge production and advertising budget (plus inflation) it's performance isn't that impressive.
The average Marvel film "only" makes back 4-5 times its budget, but when your budget is $200 million, nobody's arguing The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity were greater successes.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Apr 29, 2020, 09:05:13 PM

True, but it was a substantially bigger budget. And at the last, it was a financial success without colonial marines.

Not when you factor in inflation. AVP was not a rip roaring success in the same way that Alien and Aliens had been. That's why AVPR was given such a low budget. Paul Anderson did one thing right on AVP. He made it look like money. It really wasn't, though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed