Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 66,176 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2019, 12:54:14 AM
This isn't a game; it's a book.

There are already a game and a animated series.  This is a different take.
On the one hand that's a pretty reasonable assessment, viewing it as a companion to the game and all, but on the other hand you'd think getting basic details from the game right so that it stays as a semi-cohesive vision would be a good idea.

426Buddy

Its like adapting anything, you should probably check out the source material first.

Watching the animated series doesn't do the game justice.

The Old One

The Old One

You're right, but it isn't a good one.
So far every adaptation's fallen apart in my opinion, the book is mediocre and the series is abysmal, a pity considering the quality of the original experience.

SM

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 17, 2019, 02:24:32 AM
Its like adapting anything, you should probably check out the source material first.

Pretty sure he would've had access to the script.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Well, Alan Dean Foster wrote the Alien novelization without having seen the film*.  :laugh:

*Though in fairness, that was simply because the film was still being made while he wrote it.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2019, 05:43:14 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 17, 2019, 02:24:32 AM

Pretty sure he would've had access to the script.
Probably, but watching a fanmade movie edit and having access to the script doesn't make you feel the way that playing the game does.
An adaptation should make the reader of the book feel the way the player of the game does. The game was tense, but the novel was not.

SM

SM

Then play the game I guess...?  Again it simply strikes me that Keith was doing a different take.

HuDaFuK

Writing an adaptation several years after the fact, I do think it's a bit silly not to have the author at least sample the original material. Same as when River of Pain recreated scenes from the Special Edition of Aliens but then got them wrong compared to the film. A fifteen minute sit-down with the Blu-ray would've sorted that, but apparently they didn't bother.

Alex White has clearly played Isolation, and the Alien encounters so obviously inspired by it in The Cold Forge are leagues ahead of anything in this novelisation.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2019, 10:02:38 PM
Then play the game I guess...?  Again it simply strikes me that Keith was doing a different take.
A different take of a tense experience which -- apparently -- intentionally leaves out the tension feels ... self-defeating?

SM

SM

If you like.

I didn't feel any tension when reading it nor did I miss a lack of tension because I was intimately aware of the events already.

Xiggz456

Like Huda said after Alex White so expertly created the same feeling of tension within his novel to the point where I knew he must've played Isolation; it's evident that the same intense feelings can be translated to novel form. So Keith kinda missed the mark here.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SiL on Aug 19, 2019, 07:48:11 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2019, 10:02:38 PM
A different take of a tense experience which -- apparently -- intentionally leaves out the tension feels ... self-defeating?

It's only self-defeating if no one makes any money off of it.

The Old One

The Old One

Mediocrity isn't good for marketing.

Nostromo

Just got the audiobook, looking forward to this one.

The Old One

The Old One

I hope it's good, I sincerely do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed