Should the Alien and predator be more equal in term of strength?

Started by Thatguy2068, Dec 27, 2021, 03:29:39 PM

Author
Should the Alien and predator be more equal in term of strength? (Read 14,356 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Whilst Aliens get shot directly in the head and keep going further, possibly with exploding bullets, it's all degrees honestly.

Corporal Hicks

I'd like to - theatrically - see a Predator take on the explosive tipped Pulse Rifle rounds. It seems to take literal point-blank for 19mm to do anything, and being inside the body for a 12 gauge to do anything. Granted the City Hunter keeps functioning after multiple 12 gauge shots, but the intent was he was starting to get particularly weakened after that.

Sol

It's an interesting subject, for sure. I think between the wildly different takes from writers and directors, it would be hard to use what was shown on film to definitely decide whom is on average, stronger.

But in my own (head)canon, its the Preds.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 11, 2022, 02:31:02 PM
I'd like to - theatrically - see a Predator take on the explosive tipped Pulse Rifle rounds. It seems to take literal point-blank for 19mm to do anything, and being inside the body for a 12 gauge to do anything. Granted the City Hunter keeps functioning after multiple 12 gauge shots, but the intent was he was starting to get particularly weakened after that.

The Predator would probably fair better against Ripley's grappling hook though, where the Alien clearly bleeds from. No explosive tips and point blank there.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, not much arguing that one - it clearly damages the Big Chap, with the appearance of being a blunt end. Yay, movie consistency.

judge death

Well there is one big issue or several:
1: Who is strongest will all depend on the bias of the person/writer etc, and to fit a story, as we can see how strong/ability to take punishment shift from time to time in the same movies.
2: fictional creatures so its almost impossible to determine how strong they are, do we count only the movies, games or everything?

Im of the opinion a normal xeno drone/warrior would be able to lift and just beat a predator in strenght, like insects they are able to lift well beyond their weight. We dont see predator tearing down metal doors like the xenos, with their tech on we can see them being stronger but thats due to their tech so I dont count it.

Xenos can also take a lot of abuse and still go on.
Predator seem to depend on the story how much they can take, someone wrote it took 19mm rounds to hurt the jungle hunter and the los angeles predator could take shotgun hits and still go on.
But we saw in predator 1 that jungle hunter got injured from small 5,56mm assault rifle shells and he then struggled to run and we later see him having to operate and remove the bullet and was far from unhurt.

So 5,56mm rounds can kill them, so pulse rifle would if we take predator 1 movie as correct, be able to kill them with ease.
But then im talking from my army experience and shoting 5,56 and 7,62 and 9mm and bigger rounds on stuff and the effect xD

But in the end its up to each fan or writer etc to determine who is stronger, I vote xenomorph but im bias to them.

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 11, 2022, 03:18:01 PM
Yeah, not much arguing that one - it clearly damages the Big Chap, with the appearance of being a blunt end.
The spikes around the tip aren't decorative, I always thought they were digging in.

You'd get a similar reaction shooting a Predator with it if you hit their skin. They can withstand damage but it's not like their skin is bulletproof or cut resistant.

judge death

5,56mm showed they are far from bullet prof.

SiL

Quote from: Sol on Jan 11, 2022, 01:28:20 PM
It's nuances, really. Winter Soldier is strong. Super strong. But Spider-Man is stronger. That's how I look at how Preds and Xenos should be scaled.
Sure, but in the opposite direction. Spider-Man is strong, Winter Soldier has guns. It balances.

QuoteI also measure strength in more than just one asset. Preds appear to be a bit more resilient to physical harm, being able to take weapons fire of different kinds and still literally keep going, barely showing any sign of being hindered, physically.
Strength and toughness are completely separate qualities though.

judge death

I thought the jungle hunter was limping after he got hit once.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2022, 03:08:21 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 11, 2022, 02:31:02 PM

The Predator would probably fair better against Ripley's grappling hook though, where the Alien clearly bleeds from. No explosive tips and point blank there.  ;D

https://i.ibb.co/mchktRZ/Project002-1-1.gif

Doesn't this mean that a Hellhound can beat Big Chap?  ;D

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Jan 11, 2022, 08:57:21 PM
Quote from: Sol on Jan 11, 2022, 01:28:20 PM
It's nuances, really. Winter Soldier is strong. Super strong. But Spider-Man is stronger. That's how I look at how Preds and Xenos should be scaled.
Sure, but in the opposite direction. Spider-Man is strong, Winter Soldier has guns. It balances.

Well, if we are looking at other factors outside of physical strength, no amount of guns would help WS in a fight versus SM, due to his Spider-Sense.

SiL

The point was a Predator is more analogous to the WS than to Spider-Man, and an Alien - wall crawling and all - is more analogous to Spider-Man than to WS.

Local Trouble

Who is this "WS" and does he have something to do with SM's disappearance?! >:(

Quote from: SiL on Jan 11, 2022, 01:12:59 AM
Not in the film at least.

It was when he was talking to Perez about Ripley's memories.

SiL

Checking the scene, yes, he says the memories are passed down at a genetic level "like their strength", but passed down from Aliens, not the host.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed