Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 102,158 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 09, 2018, 11:20:58 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 09, 2018, 08:06:23 PM
Now that I own the unrated cut on bluray and can actually see things other than darkness, there are several things I like.
Is it better? I just assumed it was the same shit as the dvd and never bothered with it.

I like the movie... ironically didn't much care for the parts in the daylight which were visible though. :P

The Unrated Cut on Bluray is a big step up. There's a decent amount of extra footage and some of it's pretty gruesome. Some of it's pretty nice though, like some extra shots for wolf inside the crashed ship. A few shots across the film were tweaked, much to the better, I'd say. I'm watching it in the dark right now with my tv on energy saver mode, and I can see the predalien molting at the beginning and I can see wolf's walk through the woods and his investigation of the ship quite clearly.

The picture quality of this bluray is outstanding. Detail is beyond superb. I found the The Unrated Cut of AVP on Bluray to also be superior to the Theatrical Cut on DVD.

The edition I purchased is the standard one on sale in the U.S. It's the AVP Double Feature. Should run about $9-$10 brand new from Amazon or any major retailer. I've seen it in Walmart stores for the same price. The much improved picture and the extra footage really helped salvage both of these movies for me.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheKurgan on Dec 09, 2018, 07:59:53 PMAnd Wolf did not look like his main dish are whey shakes :P

Haha. Indeed!  :laugh:

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 09, 2018, 08:06:23 PM
Now that I own the unrated cut on bluray and can actually see things other than darkness, there are several things I like.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 09, 2018, 11:20:58 PM
Is it better? I just assumed it was the same shit as the dvd and never bothered with it.

It is! Once I purchased it on blu-ray and played it on an HD television, I, like Huggs, could immediately see so much more. To me, the difference was night and day. I could actually see things!

The blu-ray as well as the unrated version are such difference makers.  The unrated version not only adds scenes, but substitutes scenes, and also rearranges existing scenes, which all really makes this movie much more enjoyable in my eyes.

DerelictShip

Have yet to see that, what added scenes are there?

Nukiemorph

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=996488
It's a pretty minor improvement in my opinion.  There's some added stuff that makes the opening make more sense.  (Just a smaller ship leaving the bigger predator ship.)  There''s also an added scene in a cemetery where a dude gets his head blown off.  Honestly, everything else is minor enough that I didn't personally notice.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=285280
Also, when the blonde chick gets pinned to the wall, her body falls in half in the unrated DVD... but not on the unrated blu-ray.  I assume this was a mistake.

As for what I like about the movie:
Wolf and his gadgets are cool.  I love his scarred face and the whip.
I also love the gore, especially the most gruesome acid kill we've ever gotten in an Alien flick.

Huggs

The biggest plus is the immensely improved picture and high level of visual detail. The tweaks to some scenes were definitely worth it though. If you're familiar with the theatrical cut, you'll feel the difference when you watch the unrated version.

DerelictShip

That's interesting. The opening scene has always bothered me but now I can make the excuse that there was a second ship that was headed back to earth for maybe another hunt.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Take the inserted cemetery scene for instance. To me  it's much, much more than someone getting their head blown off. It's a much needed breather within the films pace, and as they hide in the graveyard and share "did you see one?", you can hear in the background, the mayhem and madness going on in the surrounding town. Sirens. Gun shots. Screams. The scene makes the alien infestation feel larger, scarier and more inescapable from the hell that is going on all around them. I immediately noticed this scene effectively amped up the dread and the regular cut is certainly weaker without it.

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 10, 2018, 03:27:33 AM
If you're familiar with the theatrical cut, you'll feel the difference when you watch the unrated version.

Definitely, and for the better.

whiterabbit

Well shit guys, I'm heading to the store now. I honestly didn't even know that the thing existed.

BishopShouldGo

The atmosphere can get really spooky in this movie, like in the nighttime first scenes.

Love me some rain as well.

SiL

Wolf looks good with his mask on.

Nukiemorph

I just learned that the Jesse scene discrepancy was a branching error with earlier blu-ray discs.  The disc would accidentally play the R-rated version of that scene.

On newer discs, it's been fixed, so there should be no difference between the unrated cut on DVD and blu-ray.  I just ordered a replacement.  Gotta have every bit of gore in 1080p!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheKurgan on Dec 09, 2018, 06:01:47 PM
I liked Wolf showing sadness over the death of one of the predators from the crashed ship. Implying they were friends, old hunt buddies or family. Yeah I know, it humanises him a little, but for me it was a nice touch.

I really enjoyed that moment too. I like it when Predator's take that moment - like in Hunters.

The Cruentus

The end credits, best part of the movie, problem is that it doesn't come soon enough.

Wolf's design is good, though his behavior is stupid.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: David's Creation on Dec 10, 2018, 07:26:27 AM
I just learned that the Jesse scene discrepancy was a branching error with earlier blu-ray discs.  The disc would accidentally play the R-rated version of that scene.

On newer discs, it's been fixed, so there should be no difference between the unrated cut on DVD and blu-ray.  I just ordered a replacement.  Gotta have every bit of gore in 1080p!

I believe you will be fine if you order the double feature Huggs recommend. The individual AVPR blu/dvd release had the issue you described (I own one with that glitch myself).

Quote from: SiL on Dec 10, 2018, 07:02:59 AM
Wolf looks good with his mask on.

Agreed. Very much so!  With his mask off on the otherhand... I love Wolf's look conceptually.... the construction / execution of Wolf's head in the film underlines my frustration with ADI's Predator work. Fortunately though,, that helmet doesn't stay off for very long! And then he looks terrific!

DerelictShip

I can't find the cemetery scene anywhere? Could someone point me in the right direction or explain more.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed